The joys of living beside a river

A place to hang out, chat and post general discussion topics. (Non-technical posts here)
Willa
Revered expert in almost everything

Re: The joys of living beside a river

Post by Willa »

Yikes again.

When this happened last year, was it a similar date ?

Jeepnstein
Been here a good while

Post by Jeepnstein »

Flood water can be cruel. I'm so glad we don't get ice on the river here to amount to anything. We're looking at being three feet over flood stage here by Sunday. That'll close some roads, close a couple of flood gates in town, and not much else. We don't really get too worked up until we're looking at anything over 60 feet. I'm pumping my basement at somewhere around 60.

Do you pump out of a sump pit or just on an as-needed basis?

Gothichome

Post by Gothichome »

Jeepnstein, the water level rose almost to the tops of the levees on Thursday. My bank in just a little taller than the levees, they actually start just down the road and follow the river to the mouth. My issue is, water comes in from under the home at about the 5 meter mark as the water table rises with the river so for decades at a time I never see water in the bacement.
I just drop a sump pump into a small temporary sump as needed.
This is the third time we had ingress before that never a drop of water. The first time I needed to pump was last March, we had a large dump of snow followed by heavy rains, the river had no ice, it was just shear volume. The other two times were last week. The rise was caused by an ice jamb last Thursday just down river. Third time I pumped, Saturday, was caused by another ice jamb at the mouth of the river. We still have a surface ice jamb still going up river well past our home but it’s just surface ice and not restricting flow.
Today’s water level chart just an hour old. You can clearly see the two days I had pump
http://apps.thamesriver.on.ca/ffw/Chart ... ham_HG.gif

1918ColonialRevival
Knows where blueprints are hidden

Post by 1918ColonialRevival »

Since the issue is water under the cellar, you may want to consider installing perimeter drains under the cellar floor and have them running into a sump on each end of the house. It will require two sump pumps (one for each sump), but it should solve the problem of water coming up through the floor, though it's not a quick or easy solution.

If you go through all that trouble, you won't see this much precipitation for another 30 years.......

awomanwithahammer
Knows where blueprints are hidden

Post by awomanwithahammer »

Sigh. My house is now apparently on TOP of the river, and there isn't even a river anywhere near. We've had nearly 13 inches of rain so far in February--4.5" just yesterday, and everything is flooded. There's 2 inches in my basement. I haven't seen that much in it before. Somebody said they'd checked everywhere and there's not a sump pump to be had, so I guess I'll get out the Shop Vac.
Bonnie

Gothichome

Post by Gothichome »

AWWAH,sorry to hear of your plight. The water raising the table like we had or just a drainage issue do to a flatter landscape?

phil
Has many leather bound books

Post by phil »

hoping things are going ok. I'm hearing a lot of news about flooding near Quebec. Hoping it spared your area. Sounds serious for a lot of people right now. That can't be good.

Gothichome

Post by Gothichome »

Once again, still dry at this moment but getting pretty close. Sump is ready to go.
https://www.lowerthames-conservation.on ... t-chatham/

Willa
Revered expert in almost everything

Post by Willa »

Gothichome wrote:Once again, still dry at this moment but getting pretty close. Sump is ready to go.
https://www.lowerthames-conservation.on ... t-chatham/

Yikes - this is almost a month earlier than last year.

So sorry to read of these ongoing troubles.

Manalto
Inventor of Knob and Tube

Post by Manalto »

Ron, is this because of warm-weather thawing upstream?