The joys of living beside a river

A place to hang out, chat and post general discussion topics. (Non-technical posts here)
Gothichome

The joys of living beside a river

Post by Gothichome »

Well folks, once again I pump.
The view up river
The view down river
We had an ice jamb about 5 km (two miles) down river at lunch time. Buy the time I got home had about 7cm (3 inches) in the bacement. Good thing I bought a good pump last year. Had it drained in less than an hour.
Already flooding in some low lying areas.

Willa
Revered expert in almost everything

Re: The joys of living beside a river

Post by Willa »

Gothichome wrote:We had an ice jamb about 5 km (two miles) down river at lunch time. Buy the time I got home had about 7cm (3 inches) in the bacement. Good thing I bought a good pump last year. Had it drained in less than an hour.
Already flooding in some low lying areas.

I was just listening to CBC news and wondered if you would be dealing with this again.

Yikes !

Gothichome

Post by Gothichome »

Well just like that, river is going down fast and clear of floating ice. Ice dam must of broke. Water no longer coming into basement.

Willa
Revered expert in almost everything

Post by Willa »

That is good news.

Here's to NO MORE of that.

Manalto
Inventor of Knob and Tube

Post by Manalto »

Sorry you had to deal with that. Makes one wonder what they did 100 years ago if they even had that problem in those days. Did they have electric pumps back then?

nhguy
Stalwart

Post by nhguy »

Manalto wrote:Sorry you had to deal with that. Makes one wonder what they did 100 years ago if they even had that problem in those days. Did they have electric pumps back then?

There was a new brew pub that opened here in town along the river in the basement of a former bank. The new owners removed the bricked up windows and installed glass. Last spring as they were preparing to open, the river filled with ice twelve feet high as it it the steel bridge next to the bank. Needless to say the glass did not keep the ice from shoving its way in. They found out why the windows had been bricked up. They have plans to put removable steel plates over the windows.

heartwood

Post by heartwood »

ooh, that was a tough beginning for the pub! during Irene the river that goes through the center of town rose up, went through the pub and onto the street leaving heaps of silt and sand...
I live across from a river too and it looks very similar to the one in gothic's photos...fortunately, the levels maintained and all is well and dry in my neighborhood...my house was built up on a bit of a bluff--smart builders!

phil
Has many leather bound books

Post by phil »

wow! imagine the power of the downstream ice flow if It all went at once. Sounds like a very stressful situation. Glad to hear it cleared up for you.

GinaC
Forgotten more than most know

Post by GinaC »

Argh! Oh my goodness, I'm so glad that it didn't affect your house too much. I hope that if it does happen again, and I would count on it due to climate change, that it doesn't get worse.
1939 Minimal Traditional

Gothichome

Post by Gothichome »

You jinxed it. Pumping once again. Ice jam reformed down the river where it drains into Lake St Clair. River backed up past Chatham once again. Pump is going and keeping up with no issues.
http://apps.thamesriver.on.ca/ffw/Chart ... ham_HG.gif
Here is the water level chart.the tall spike was yesterday, today’s readings looks like it has peaked. Hopefully.