another church bites the dust

A place to hang out, chat and post general discussion topics. (Non-technical posts here)
phil
Has many leather bound books

another church bites the dust

Post by phil »

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/british- ... -1.4977641

Its very sad. Ive been to some weddings and things at this little chapel. It was one of our oldest buildings and a very beautiful landmark. Some sick person attempted to burn down 3 other churches near it. My dad made a little scale model of it , as a birdhouse. we aren't religious but you don't need to be, to respect and admire heritage buildings like this. I'm deeply saddened by the news. Hoping there is someone to drive a rebuild of it. It was just a tiny building. I don't think there was a motive, they didn't gain anything. hoping the person is caught.

heartwood

Re: another church bites the dust

Post by heartwood »

that is indeed profoundly sad phil...gone and lost forever...
I hope the culprit is found and arrested...

Gothichome

Post by Gothichome »

Sounds like there is local fire bug in the area, with a grudge for organized religion.

Jeepnstein
Been here a good while

Post by Jeepnstein »

That's a real shame. Arsonists are a different breed.

Often it's not so much a grudge against religion as it is an easy target. Churches, especially little ones like that, are not occupied over night so they're attractive to a fire bug. They also draw an emotional crowd, which fire bugs really get satisfaction seeing. If multiple fires were set in the area that means they need to get after it really hard because these guys usually can't quit.

I'm deeply religious and have to say that as long as nobody is hurt, it's really only a building. Sure it has historical value, more than real spiritual value, but the Church doesn't need a building. Preservationists like us see their value as architecture and historical landmarks, that's the true loss.

awomanwithahammer
Knows where blueprints are hidden

Post by awomanwithahammer »

Oh, no. I hope they catch the person responsible before he/she escalates and someone gets hurt.
Bonnie

phil

Post by phil »

They did catch the guy. Not a lot of info yet but he was I think 37 and not some young kid. he's out on bail now awaiting trial. name not released yet.
The town around it is owned by a ranch. they went to a lot of work to restore a Victorian home across from it. The town used to be the end of the line for trains and they filled the water and they mined coal near there. It might not have been directed against religion but I don't really know his motivation. Obviously it was a sick act with no payback. there is an original courthouse next door and people would rent that to house wedding parties and such. Its a tiny chapel. or was. The only services were for special occasions.

Gothichome

Post by Gothichome »

Glad they got the fellow. Although not sure if he is a pathological arsenist having him free on bail is a good plan.

phil

Post by phil »

now a rancher from the same place has gone missing. His horse was found still saddled wandering loose. Its very cold so the outlook isn't good. this is a tiny community, hardly even what you'd think of as a town. it's hard to link the two but its also weird that the two situations happened so close in proximity and time.
Hoping they find him but it's likely been too long for anyone unprepared with gear to survive the bitter cold for the length of time he's been missing.