What's wrong with this picture?

A place to hang out, chat and post general discussion topics. (Non-technical posts here)
Manalto
Inventor of Knob and Tube

What's wrong with this picture?

Post by Manalto »

I couldn't figure out how to post the picture directly, so here's the link:

https://www.houzz.com/photo/1328503-lak ... om-toronto

Here you go:
(added by Mick_VT)

1918ColonialRevival
Knows where blueprints are hidden

Re: What's wrong with this picture?

Post by 1918ColonialRevival »

Well, to start off with, the kitchen is in the living room! :lol:

Manalto

Post by Manalto »

LOL - I agree! Anything else? How do you like the color scheme?

MJ1987
Been here a while

Post by MJ1987 »

Manalto wrote:LOL - I agree! Anything else? How do you like the color scheme?

Well, let's just say I wouldn't want to walk through that space after a hard days work outside and bump into anything.... I have a feeling I'd leave evidence on just about every surface with which I'd come in contact.
Matt

I built a chimney for a comrade old;
I did the service not for hope or hire:
And then I travelled on in winter’s cold,
Yet all the day I glowed before the fire.

-Edwin Markham

Lily left the valley

Post by Lily left the valley »

I know builders started embracing open concept partly because it was much cheaper for them build, but there are folks that prefer what is considered "prospect" in the design world. Some like the notion of being able to see more at a glance for various reasons. "Refuge" is the opposite end of the spectrum, more along the lines of traditional older homes. You can have refuge spots within a larger prospect space, like aediculas (sp?) and inglenooks. I learned about these concepts in the House Thinking book.

I'm with Matt, though. I'd be terrified of touching anything after doing some work in the garden.

I'm also not a fan of the white on white movement. Especially not for non sleek moderne homes.

Overall, every time I see shots of homes like that, my brain just goes... :sleeping-sleeping: It's just not a style I like at all, so it's cringeworthy that it's so promoted as an ideal.

Oh...and having looked at a few other pictures...if you're going to waste so much money trying to look like you have money, you couldn't put the TV up in a way where it can be easily hidden? Lazy and cheap. :whistle:
--Proud member of the Industrious Cheapskate Club
--Currently pondering ways to encourage thoughtful restovation and discourage mindless renovation.

mjt
Shakes a cane at new house owners

Post by mjt »

We had a friend in the neighborhood who had an all white interior. It was an old house and fortunately had NOT been converted to an open floor plan, but every room was a different shade of white. It was very disorienting an made all the interesting architectural features of the house disappear.

awomanwithahammer
Knows where blueprints are hidden

Post by awomanwithahammer »

I don't like totally open concept, but I do like sight lines. I don't like having to go through multiple doors to get to where I can see something. I did open my house up some, but not completely. I got a severe case of claustrophobia in an area where there were 4 doors in one small radius (radius isn't the right word, but you get what I mean).

That said, I could not live in this house. In my home kitchen, we have a wide opening between it and the dining room, approximately 6 feet wide. Do you know that you can't get a baby gate that wide? We didn't even think about it, but now we have a 16-month-old grandson whom we can't keep out of the kitchen. I had to content myself with removing all chemicals and cleaners from lower cabinets and putting child-proof locks on the doors. Can you imagine trying to baby-proof that house?
Bonnie

Jeepnstein
Been here a good while

Post by Jeepnstein »

I like color. And a bit of chaos. A house like that would demand constant cleaning and primping. Far too high maintenance. Also, I didn't see a cat in any of the pictures.

Manalto

Post by Manalto »

Jeepnstein wrote: Also, I didn't see a cat in any of the pictures.

Right! Or a big, slobbering boxer. All the HGTV-type, rubber-stamp renovations I see cause me to imagine a 'For Sale' sign out front. The goal is to be as neutral as possible so no one will be offended by anything when you put the house on the market. Willa put it perfectly - prisoners of their own real estate.

This room is the work of Catherine Staples Interiors, who claim, without the slightest hint of irony:

"A tailor made service that caters to the specific needs of the project resulting in a unique interior that exceeds the expectations of the client."

And why pay $700 for a pair of candlesticks when you can just steal them from the cathedral down the street? :crazy:

phil
Has many leather bound books

Post by phil »

Its designed for peace and tranquility , because your friends wont' want to visit ;-)