Landbank Trainwrecks

A place to hang out, chat and post general discussion topics. (Non-technical posts here)
Corsetière
Knows where blueprints are hidden

Landbank Trainwrecks

Post by Corsetière »

Our city has a landbank program and every single one of them that I have seen the after photos of has made me cringe. Inerringly they paint the gorgeous original woodwork, sometimes even going so far as to rip out the original mantels to leave exposed brick. It's making me crazy! :crazy:

Here's a before: https://www.facebook.com/ColumbusLandBa ... =3&theater

And after :(
https://www.facebook.com/ColumbusLandBa ... =3&theater

Don't get me started on that tile....

Vala

Re: Landbank Trainwrecks

Post by Vala »

Wow thats just awful. Wrong on so many levels...

Looked at some other pics, of course always with the PLASTIC WINDOWS.

Willa
Revered expert in almost everything

Post by Willa »

Yes, inferior replacement windows with no storm windows. What an improvement !

Vala

Post by Vala »

Willa wrote:Yes, inferior replacement windows with no storm windows. What an improvement !

Gotta love that one pic of where they replaced the mullioned gable windows with a single window thats extra wide.. yep thats sooooo attractive.

Gothichome

Post by Gothichome »

Trying to turn a nice home into a McMansion. Why take before pictures if your going to tear everything out. This land bank Corcetiere, homes acquired by the city for taxes ect.? I would certainly hope they have some sort of restrictive covenants for the street scape, at least the facade’s will be preserved.

Corsetière

Post by Corsetière »

Yeah they are homes the city takes possession of for various reasons and sells off for cheap. Lame flippers scoop them up and ruin any character they might have had and then sell them for many times what they paid. Maybe one day I can get in on the game and save a couple of these from the clutches of the Joanna Gaines' of the world. lol!

What they did to the natural woodwork in that living room makes absolutely no sense....

heartwood

Post by heartwood »

I called that the old 'ack and gag'!!

Corsetière

Post by Corsetière »

heartwood wrote:I called that the old 'ack and gag'!!

lol
Gothichome wrote:Trying to turn a nice home into a McMansion. Why take before pictures if your going to tear everything out. This land bank Corcetiere, homes acquired by the city for taxes ect.? I would certainly hope they have some sort of restrictive covenants for the street scape, at least the facade’s will be preserved.

Most of these are in rougher parts, so no restrictions even on the exteriors. To date, we only have one area on the East side that is a designated historic district with protections in place, and even then, I have seen things fly under the radar which should not have. And of course there are no rules about the interiors...I know of a Florence Kenyon Hayden Rector house that was butchered inside. Very disheartening!

phil
Has many leather bound books

Post by phil »

I was showing a young student a bedroom last night, she was a potential tennant. I had meticulously restored the plaster , removed every bit of white paint from the trim, restored walls to a really high standard...The paint was 4 coats of a nice BM color that isnt' dark or offensive or anything.. the ceiling is white but with a hint of the wall color. i did an expert job cutting in and rolling it out with as little stipple as possible. restoring the floors took months of labor. then she turns and says, If I rent it can I paint it all white? I'll buy the paint ;-) I know how to paint.. lol.... it looks like my grandmas old house I really like white.. lol. oh my goodness.... some have no appreciation for antiques or the restoration process, and it's not even worth trying to start with the explanations. she repeated that she'd pay for the paint until I said I have white paint and tried to explain but then I realized it was useless.. I think I just rolled my eyes and bit my lip a little. imagining the damage she could do with a paint bucket..

Corsetière

Post by Corsetière »

Ugh. No put that application in the circular file...