Historic Designation

A place to hang out, chat and post general discussion topics. (Non-technical posts here)
ericinvt
Just Arrived

Historic Designation

Post by ericinvt »

Hello all. I'm hoping you can all send some positive vibes our way. We just completed and submitted our application for a historic designation for our home. If I could figure out how to share pictures on here I would post some of the ten curved windows awaiting restoration. Now comes the wait... keeping our fingers crossed!!

Mick_VT

Re: Historic Designation

Post by Mick_VT »

Good luck Eric!

photo posting instructions and help can be found in the "Clerk of Works" section. One post on the topic can be found here: viewtopic.php?f=15&t=70 it is pretty simple when you understand how. The best way IMO is to use the "Full Editor" and click on the "Attachments" tab below where you enter your post text
Mick...

Gothichome

Post by Gothichome »

Ericinvt, good on you seeking designation. There just might be a few perks available for those with it, check your property tax people. Some times in recognition of the money involved in maintaining a designated property there will be a property tax incentive.
10 curved glass windows, wow, that’ll have our window experts all excited. Hope you get the picture posting working, looking forward to those pics.

ericinvt
Just Arrived

Post by ericinvt »

IMG_0925.jpg
IMG_0925.jpg (1.99 MiB) Viewed 467 times

Photo taken last summer. Yes, the boarded up windows are from a fire. An arson, actually. I'll try uploading another picture later that shows the entire structure, including the attached carriage house.

Mick_VT

Post by Mick_VT »

Hey I am pretty sure I recognize your house! If I am right you are quite close to the Vermont Historical Society
Mick...

Olson185
Been here a good while

Post by Olson185 »

With whom? While the NHL and NR may sound more impressive for having "National" attached to it, getting a local designation can be more meaningful as a way to get certain protections and exemptions that help preservation. Either way, it's neat having a plaque backed-up by some administrative body.
~James

Fourth generation in a family of artists, engineers, architects, woodworkers, and metalworkers. Mine is a family of Viking craftsmen. What we can't create, we pillage, and there's nothing we can't create. But, sometimes, we pillage anyway.

ericinvt
Just Arrived

Post by ericinvt »

Mike, I'm sure you do! We still have our house up the hill, but this is our next project.