A bit of a vent/rant

A place to hang out, chat and post general discussion topics. (Non-technical posts here)
GibsonGM
Forgotten more than most know

Re: A bit of a vent/rant

Post by GibsonGM »

Don't feel bad, I think we've all gone thru this! I'm from a family that still lives in MetroWest MA....good careers, in the hustle/bustle of things. Commute lifestyle, 60-80 hours/week at work, you know the routine. I've been working my old farmhouse, and they don't ever come here to see what's been going on.

While I listen on the phone to talk of Red Sox season tickets, trips in Boston Harbor on yachts, how terrible and desolate it must be in rural Maine, and how much money they're making (and spending) down there...I'm often sitting in my front yard, watching the sun set over the western mountains - out there, I can see my neighbor, a farm about 4 miles off. Peepers going, owls hooting, woodcocks chirping and all. I pay 1/2 the property tax I used to, for 5x as much land. And people who are local and know my house come by and say "OH MY !!!!!!" when they see the restoration. You make friends that way.

I'm glad they feel the way they do :) That's why it's quiet here! I don't let the ignorant try to tell me how to feel about what I do...ignorance simply tries to bring others down. Don't let it! :)

JacquieJet
Shakes a cane at new house owners

Post by JacquieJet »

TuckerTavern wrote:Well, if we're playing True Confessions here I'll admit that there are days where I look around and feel utter despair. We're NEVER going to get this house done, I've gone almost 5 years without a real kitchen (I cook for 8 people everyday plus canning), the bathroom is a disaster.... etc. We bought what we could afford and it will be paid off this summer, I realize many folks think a 5 year note wasn't much, but believe me it's been hard on a single income. I too blog about the house, though it hasn't been updated in months. No money = no house projects. If you want to look it's http://www.thornburghhouse.com

Tucker, that is AMAZING!! What an accomplishment!! We still have another 23 years or so until our house is paid off.... which is fairly typical, I think. Good for you, being mortgage free so soon! I seriously tip my hat to you.
1917-ish
Happy 100th birthday, house!!

JacquieJet

Post by JacquieJet »

And yes, Corsetiere, I hear you. It's not just old houses- I feel like people do this in all aspects of life. The ol', "poor me, if only I had what you have" or "you guys are suckers" mentality. Or, the one I hate the most- the one-upper: "Oh, you think ____ is good? You should see MINE!". I have zero time for that type of thing. Life is too short to play games like that. How about instead, we congratulate each other on our hard work and achievements?
1917-ish

TuckerTavern
Been here a good while

Post by TuckerTavern »

JacquieJet wrote:And yes, Corsetiere, I hear you. It's not just old houses- I feel like people do this in all aspects of life. The ol', "poor me, if only I had what you have" or "you guys are suckers" mentality. Or, the one I hate the most- the one-upper: "Oh, you think ____ is good? You should see MINE!". I have zero time for that type of thing. Life is too short to play games like that. How about instead, we congratulate each other on our hard work and achievements?

That's what I love about being here, just good, encouraging people willing to cheer you on!

phil
Has many leather bound books

Post by phil »

JacquieJet wrote:
TuckerTavern wrote:Well, if we're playing True Confessions here I'll admit that there are days where I look around and feel utter despair. We're NEVER going to get this house done, I've gone almost 5 years without a real kitchen (I cook for 8 people everyday plus canning), the bathroom is a disaster.... etc. We bought what we could afford and it will be paid off this summer, I realize many folks think a 5 year note wasn't much, but believe me it's been hard on a single income. I too blog about the house, though it hasn't been updated in months. No money = no house projects. If you want to look it's http://www.thornburghhouse.com

Tucker, that is AMAZING!! What an accomplishment!! We still have another 23 years or so until our house is paid off.... which is fairly typical, I think. Good for you, being mortgage free so soon! I seriously tip my hat to you.

according to my calculations Ill be 126 years old when my house is paid off, I can hardly wait ! ;-) Oh wait but I might not be here then,,, oh well ! ;-)

TuckerTavern
Been here a good while

Post by TuckerTavern »

Phil, lol

JacquieJet

Post by JacquieJet »

phil wrote:according to my calculations Ill be 126 years old when my house is paid off, I can hardly wait ! ;-) Oh wait but I might not be here then,,, oh well ! ;-)

Aww, well you can always just get robot parts and live to be 200! Medical advancements and whatnot. LOL.
1917-ish