A bit of a vent/rant

A place to hang out, chat and post general discussion topics. (Non-technical posts here)
Corsetière
Knows where blueprints are hidden

Re: A bit of a vent/rant

Post by Corsetière »

TuckerTavern wrote:Well, if we're playing True Confessions here I'll admit that there are days where I look around and feel utter despair. We're NEVER going to get this house done, I've gone almost 5 years without a real kitchen (I cook for 8 people everyday plus canning), the bathroom is a disaster.... etc. We bought what we could afford and it will be paid off this summer, I realize many folks think a 5 year note wasn't much, but believe me it's been hard on a single income. I too blog about the house, though it hasn't been updated in months. No money = no house projects. If you want to look it's http://www.thornburghhouse.com

The blog I mentioned is Vivacious Victorian on Facebook. Their recent bathroom restoration is swoon-worthy!

You know, not having a mortgage is an enormous achievement! I think that is worth just about any minor inconvenience one experiences from lack of creature comfort, in my opinion! That is exactly why I'm doing the lead abatement here myself. I refuse to go into debt!

Corsetière

Post by Corsetière »

heartwood wrote:i'm with you corset woman! we live in a toss away society and fewer folks have a positive regard for maintaining old stuff that has lasted through the centuries....for the most part, we can do away with terms such as 'builder' and 'carpenter' and replace them with 'installer'....

you'll always have folks like us who are filled with an appreciation for hard work and beautiful old house parts...

...jade

I know you get it, Jade! :)

Corsetière

Post by Corsetière »

historicalwork wrote:The challenge I often have is with the family giving the time needed to complete projects.

Yes! I am living this right now! This is exactly why it was impossible for me to guess how long abatement would take here. Every "simple" project hides 3 finicky tasks that must be completed first!

Corsetière

Post by Corsetière »

phil wrote:sooo, young people have a different set of expectations and many are just jealous if you start talking about your house restoration. It's a dream many can't afford. the jealousy promotes negativity, particular on forums where people are free to hide behind fake names and rant.

In my city it's definitely approaching what you are describing. I think in five years things will be very scarce and expensive. There are still good opportunities here, right now, if you aren't afraid of work. There are definitely houses to be had for $100,000 or less. But all these complainers aren't willing to step up and do the work. Because it's no fun and cuts into their bar and dinners out money. lol!

Corsetière

Post by Corsetière »

I love this thread and all the comments on it! I'm nodding my head as I read through all of them. Thanks for reaffirming my worldview! :lol:

1918ColonialRevival

Post by 1918ColonialRevival »

Some people are just a-holes who have something smart to say at anything someone else does. Odds are the ones making such comments are 40 year old losers living in their mama's basement. They troll websites where anyone is doing anything constructive.

Vala

Post by Vala »

Most modern people are lazy and are obsessed with "no maintenance" as if such a thing exists. It's not really "no maintenance" when you have to tear out and redo everything every 10 years... There's a certain charm about a house and the materials that stand the test of time. Compared to particle board and fake woods that end up in the landfill in 10 years.

historicalwork
Been here a good while

Post by historicalwork »

Words to live by >
Eperot wrote: If there is one immutable truth I have learned in my time working on my house it's this: Never expect others to be as interested or excited about what you have done to your house as you are.

Gothichome

Post by Gothichome »

Well, if I may, I’ll add my little bit of wisdom.
Us old home folks get it, it’s what we must do, there is a sense of satisfaction in seeing the results of our efforts and the uniqueness of our respective homes sets us apart from the masses.
To the masses who don’t get it, they will never get it, it’s not our job to convince them. Old homes are not for every one, when I give non old home folks the tour most are impressed and a few have asked why, I respond ‘because I can’ and leave it at that.
I have yet to find any denigrating our efforts and hope to never meet those people.

Vala

Post by Vala »

Gothichome wrote:Well, if I may, I’ll add my little bit of wisdom.
Us old home folks get it, it’s what we must do, there is a sense of satisfaction in seeing the results of our efforts and the uniqueness of our respective homes sets us apart from the masses.
To the masses who don’t get it, they will never get it, it’s not our job to convince them. Old homes are not for every one, when I give non old home folks the tour most are impressed and a few have asked why, I respond ‘because I can’ and leave it at that.
I have yet to find any denigrating our efforts and hope to never meet those people.

True, back a couple years ago when I pulled the siding off of the front of the house and started painting, passerby's would stop and tell me how good it looks!