Nesting

A place to hang out, chat and post general discussion topics. (Non-technical posts here)
JacquieJet
Shakes a cane at new house owners

Re: Nesting

Post by JacquieJet »

I have been humming and hawing on whether to comment here, but what the heck- I'm going to say something.

As someone with a house full of children, I have "nested" a few times. Sashguy, I feel like if you were one of the contractors that I contacted during one of my pregnancies, we would have had a not so nice exchange on both our parts.
Yes, I have had work done on my home during pregnancy. Yes, I have taken certain safety precautions (on my own initiative, without anyone telling me to or checking that I did, because I am an adult who is accountable to myself and myself alone). A few examples of work I have had done during pregnancy:

-Have a rotting wall taken down and replaced in our dining room. Wall was mouldy from an old water leak, and the (assumed) lead pain was peeling off in chunks. Should I have left that alone for the duration of my pregnancy? Even as my (then) two year old kept sneaking up to it and stuffing paint chips in his mouth? Yummy snack!

-Had windows (diamond shaped pieces with lead in between) removed and restored. Yes, I'm sure that created some lead dust. But another hazard was keeping windows that had broken glass and missing panes (because they were so severely bowed out, and the glass could be dislodged by even a gentle touch). What if someone touched it and sliced a finger open? Then what?

Those are just two examples, but I'm sure if I thought hard I could come up with more. My point is that "nesting" isn't always some flippant whim- sometimes there are legitimate reasons for commencing work during a pregnancy. Sometimes it's the least hazardous option, all things considered. As someone on the opposite side of the fence, it is up to me to decide what is in my (and my baby's) best interest. As a contractor, sometimes you don't have the whole picture, nor should you- it's not up to the pregnant woman to give you a full picture of what is going on in her life to justify her needs.
1917-ish
Happy 100th birthday, house!!

phil
Has many leather bound books

Post by phil »

I caught myself trying to count he layers of paint in the bedrooms and thought I might figure out how many kids the house produced and whether they were boys or girls.

Manalto
Inventor of Knob and Tube

Post by Manalto »

More than once I've been in discussions with parents with small children and they have cautioned me that they didn't want anything thorny in their landscape. My only reply is, "I'll bet they're smart children."

Sashguy

Post by Sashguy »

My point is missed completely.
I am referring to absolutely unnecessary construction based solely on a primeval urge.

Manalto

Post by Manalto »

Your point wasn't missed - not by me, anyway. It's not that difficult to understand. I've just wandered off of it a little bit, but still talking about parents who display questionable judgement with the arrival of offspring.

Sorry to go off on a tangent. We can continue to discuss pregnancies if you like.

JacquieJet

Post by JacquieJet »

Sashguy wrote:My point is missed completely.
I am referring to absolutely unnecessary construction based solely on a primeval urge.

LOL. No, didn't miss your point. I think you missed mine. It's not up to you to decide what falls under the "nesting" umbrella. The woman doesn't have to disclose her motivations for getting the work done, as she is (presumably) an adult. Could be nesting, or it could be something else, and she just happens to be pregnant. It doesn't matter, as adults we all make decisions and need to be held accountable by ourselves alone.
1917-ish

Manalto

Post by Manalto »

JacquieJet wrote:...as adults we all make decisions and need to be held accountable by ourselves alone.

In some cases, but decisions can have consequences which have an effect on the lives of others, as illustrated by the point that I supposedly missed.

Right now, in the US, most states do not prosecute women for drug use or other endangering behaviors, so I guess that's OK for them to do, since they're "adults."

https://projects.propublica.org/graphic ... s-by-state

JacquieJet

Post by JacquieJet »

Manalto wrote:
JacquieJet wrote:...as adults we all make decisions and need to be held accountable by ourselves alone.

In some cases, but decisions can have consequences which have an effect on the lives of others, as illustrated by the point that I supposedly missed.

Right now, in the US, most states do not prosecute women for drug use or other endangering behaviors, so I guess that's OK for them to do, since they're "adults."

https://projects.propublica.org/graphic ... s-by-state

Yes, that is correct- women should not be prosecuted for drug use in a different way than a man would (I mean that the same laws apply regardless of gender or medical status). I am happy that laws reflect this, regardless of the woman's medical information (a pregnancy is personal medical information). Some information is welcome, but forcing a choice on someone based on their "condition" is not in the spirit of equality.
Anyway, I'm going to "peace out" of this convo now ;)
1917-ish

Sow's Ear Mal
Stalwart

Post by Sow's Ear Mal »

Ladies and gentlemen...or if that offends, then Males and Females of The Historic District. If you feel the need to ban me afterward, then feel free. But I think the ugliest, and most bafflingly ignored point of this thread is the bizarre, misinformed, and frankly misogynistic rant by the original poster. Sashguy; I'm glad you have so much business that you can refuse jobs based on your own "Neanderthal" misconceptions about female compulsions, and the motivations of your potential clients. Your phrasing was loutish, your conclusions about situations you know nothing about more so. Good luck in your future endeavours. If you showed up on my doorstep with those prejudices I'd show you the street pretty quickly. And BTW...my husband and I have restored 7 houses to date, and not once did I (WE) compromise the next generation's health and intellect through mishandling of reno dangers. Did I nest? Not sure... but I did create a healthy and pleasant environment for our offspring throughout. I think you are just stirring it up or in desperate search of attention. And to my female compatriots here...Really? We're going to let this slide.....?? And yes, I'm done now. ---Mal