Nesting

A place to hang out, chat and post general discussion topics. (Non-technical posts here)
Sashguy

Nesting

Post by Sashguy »

This my really tick off other contractors, but somebody needs to say it. The absolute, most ignorant thing that I run across is this Neanderthal compulsion in women called “Nesting”.
Very often I am called to bid jobs and the door is answered by a smiling pregnant lady, all set on having restoration work done on her home “before the baby arrives”.
Think about it... everything that they breathe or eat is going straight to the child, and they want their home filled with asbestos, lead dust, rat poop, dust, chemicals, etc.
Of course, I explain this to them, refuse the work and tell them to call me when the child is less vulnerable.
After all of this, nine of ten ask me if there is someone else who I would recommend.

Corsetière
Knows where blueprints are hidden

Re: Nesting

Post by Corsetière »

Good for you for refusing to do the work at that time! Most people aren't that ethical!

Sow's Ear Mal
Stalwart

Post by Sow's Ear Mal »

Sashguy wrote:This my really tick off other contractors, but somebody needs to say it. The absolute, most ignorant thing that I run across is this Neanderthal compulsion in women called “Nesting”

Ya know....normally I don't give a ratsass about peoples' phrasing, but that's a little harsh, viewed from my side of fence.

But I agree with what you are saying here re the dangers of reno debris and dust to the fetus. Painting (acrylic) before baby comes might be a good idea though, to encapsulate some lead paint.

Manalto
Inventor of Knob and Tube

Post by Manalto »

I happen to like your phrasing; it conveys a justified frustration with people who choose to take on the greatest responsibility there is and do it carelessly.

How about some nice (100% organic cotton) curtains for the nursery, lady?

Willa
Revered expert in almost everything

Post by Willa »

Yes, BUT:

- citations are needed for whether exposure* to renovation hazards like lead dust, etc. are more dangerous for a fetus in utero or for a baby

- at what age is it safe to renovate with a child in the household ?

- as the contractor, do you need to take additional precautions within households with fertile women? What about women who might be pregnant, or who don't know they are pregnant yet, or who may be taking to steps to become pregnant. Where does their right to privacy end and your liability begin ?

- what about households where the parents are in the process of adopting a child, and this child may enter the household during your work ?

- as the contractor what is your legal liability with regards to this ?

And while the blame is being placed on the "Neaderthal compulsion in women" - where is the male spouse or partner (ie father of gestating baby) in this scenario ? Did he promise to renovate or repair but then just never got around to it, which is why the pregnant woman is contacting you ?

Think about it - all that renovation dust is being filtered through the mother and her immune system as she is gestating v.s. the baby/child/children being exposed to it directly. Which is safer Dr. Sashguy OBGYN ?

* Exposure to lead particles are hazardous to both fetus and newborns and children and adults. Where is the demarcation made for safety ? Perhaps only the homes of confirmed bachelors who will never father children are appropriate work sites ?

heartwood

Post by heartwood »

I find that, in my role as a window restorer, it is my obligation to educate and inform...I do not refer to potential clients who may be ignorant of the dangers of working with lead or asbestos once the project is completed and cleaned as 'neanderthal'...if the contractor abides by the 'over the top' RRP regulations, the pregnant mom to be should feel confident inviting her Lamaze classmates over to roll around on the floor naked without concern...

it is possible that the clients have made plans to move out during construction...it is likely that they feel they are making the right and healthy decision and doing right by there child to have work done prior to the little one's arrival...

me thinks you tend to exaggerate just a teeny weeny beeny deeny bit....in 22 years of restoring windows, I don't recall a single pregnant woman contacting me for window work...a few pregnant men but no women...

...jade

Sashguy

Post by Sashguy »

Reference Neanderthal as a humanoid condition that predates history. The nesting condition is quite normal. My point is that it should not be allowed to cloud our better judgement.

Yes Jade, I test everything that I do, and even though lead is extremely rare in my area, I proceed as if it were present, as lead is not the only hazard that exists during the restoration process.

But that’s me, and not the one before me and not the one behind me.

In regards to the exaggeration, my area is in a transition, and has been for the last five years, from seniors to young couples, so it is quite common.

But I must concede, I also, have yet to have run into any pregnant men here, but I remain open to the possibility.

This post is on the heels of my current job. On my advice they waited, and I’m coming in after they leave for work and daycare. The home is dinner off the floor clean when they return.

Manalto
Inventor of Knob and Tube

Post by Manalto »

That makes sense. The best protection from exposure to dangerous or suspicious substances is to get out of Dodge.

Vala

Post by Vala »

Well I don't really have a comment on this thread but I will say I'm glad that there are young couples who are wanting their old homes to be restored. Around here when the old man dies who lived in the place for 40-50 years the placed gets auctioned for next to nothing, then the house is usually gutted and completely modernized.