Inlaid Linoleum "Rugs"

A place to hang out, chat and post general discussion topics. (Non-technical posts here)
Willa
Revered expert in almost everything

Inlaid Linoleum "Rugs"

Post by Willa »

The woman (Laurie Crogan*) who makes them also does custom inlaid floors in the Southern California area. In an article from 2014 she was quoted as saying a custom inlaid floor would cost $ 6,000+

Some of the rugs have an excellent vintage look. I think they are a great idea.

https://www.etsy.com/shop/InlayFloors

I especially like this one:

il_570xN.602163999_sng3.jpg
il_570xN.602163999_sng3.jpg (81.23 KiB) Viewed 459 times

*Her work also appeared in Jane Powell's book "Linoleum".
Last edited by Willa on Thu Jan 18, 2018 2:57 am, edited 1 time in total.

Manalto
Inventor of Knob and Tube

Re: Inlaid Linoleum "Rugs"

Post by Manalto »

I agree. It's of an era; you don't see anything resembling this today. Thanks for posting.

JacquieJet
Shakes a cane at new house owners

Post by JacquieJet »

I'm a bit confused... is it like a carpet rug (you can just lay it down wherever?)? Or is it an inlay for the floor (non-removable)? It looks like that toilet is sitting on top of it in that picture.
It is quite pretty!
1917-ish
Happy 100th birthday, house!!

MJ1987
Been here a while

Post by MJ1987 »

JacquieJet wrote:I'm a bit confused... is it like a carpet rug (you can just lay it down wherever?)? Or is it an inlay for the floor (non-removable)? It looks like that toilet is sitting on top of it in that picture.
It is quite pretty!

Wow, these are pretty incredible! Thanks so much for sharing! It looks to me like the "inlay" means it's referring to the process of taking one area-rug-sized piece of linoleum and then inlaying the pattern into it. That "Tin Town" deco one in the Etsy shop is awesome! For a 6 x 9' rug, $1,500 doesn't seem so unreasonable. To my knowledge this might be the first reproduction of a linoleum carpet. Awesome.
Last edited by MJ1987 on Wed Jan 17, 2018 5:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Matt

I built a chimney for a comrade old;
I did the service not for hope or hire:
And then I travelled on in winter’s cold,
Yet all the day I glowed before the fire.

-Edwin Markham

Willa

Post by Willa »

The pic I posted looks like an installed floor (I didn't notice the toilet) but it was on her Etsy page, so perhaps that was just to represent the pattern ?

As far as I can tell they are mats - ie small pieces of linoleum that would sit on top of your flooring. I suppose one could be crafty and buy one, and have your linoleum installer inlay it into sheet linoleum ?

Here is the original story about her and other craftspeople:

https://www.thisoldhouse.com/ideas/american-artisans-whose-work-will-floor-you

It shows her cutting linoleum with a jeweler's scroll saw. I had never considered this possibility and assumed the patterns were cut with a knife. The bandsaw would give a much finer and controlled cut. Hmmm...
Last edited by Willa on Wed Jan 17, 2018 5:23 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Willa

Post by Willa »

(It also took me awhile to notice what may be a vintage "mother of pearl" lime green toilet seat. Wow !)

awomanwithahammer
Knows where blueprints are hidden

Post by awomanwithahammer »

There is a local house that has been abandoned, probably at least 15 years. I did some trespassing one day several years ago as the doors were wide open. In a couple of the upstairs bedrooms, I found linoleum rugs simply lying on top of the floors. I wish I had taken pictures of them. They were really beautiful floral designs as I recall. That house haunts me still. It's still sitting there rotting away. I wonder if the rugs are still there.
Bonnie

Willa

Post by Willa »

awomanwithahammer wrote:There is a local house that has been abandoned, probably at least 15 years. I did some trespassing one day several years ago as the doors were wide open. In a couple of the upstairs bedrooms, I found linoleum rugs simply lying on top of the floors. I wish I had taken pictures of them. They were really beautiful floral designs as I recall. That house haunts me still. It's still sitting there rotting away. I wonder if the rugs are still there.

I'll bet those rugs are still there unless some scavenger type scooped them up. I would be that scavenger, if I knew a sensible way to transport them. They get brittle when they get old, though I have seen photos of some survivors in immaculate condition from the guest room or attic.

awomanwithahammer
Knows where blueprints are hidden

Post by awomanwithahammer »

Willa wrote:
awomanwithahammer wrote:There is a local house that has been abandoned, probably at least 15 years. I did some trespassing one day several years ago as the doors were wide open. In a couple of the upstairs bedrooms, I found linoleum rugs simply lying on top of the floors. I wish I had taken pictures of them. They were really beautiful floral designs as I recall. That house haunts me still. It's still sitting there rotting away. I wonder if the rugs are still there.

I'll bet those rugs are still there unless some scavenger type scooped them up. I would be that scavenger, if I knew a sensible way to transport them. They get brittle when they get old, though I have seen photos of some survivors in immaculate condition from the guest room or attic.

Yeah, I considered scavenging them, too, but I was too chicken to just walk out with them! The house is an American Four-square with a sleeping porch, a spring house, and a beautiful setting. I looked up the owner, and it's part of what was probably a large farm; several hundred acres. At that time, the owner lived in Texas, and I considered writing to see if she would sell me just the acre or so that the house sits on. However, I think time and the elements have done too much damage. It would take a lot of money and a large crew to bring it back, neither of which I have. :cry:
Bonnie

JacquieJet
Shakes a cane at new house owners

Post by JacquieJet »

Thanks for the info! This seems really worthwhile. I'm surprised I have never heard of them before!
1917-ish
Happy 100th birthday, house!!