Backsplash in a 1920's kitchen?

A place to hang out, chat and post general discussion topics. (Non-technical posts here)
1918ColonialRevival
Knows where blueprints are hidden

Re: Backsplash in a 1920's kitchen?

Post by 1918ColonialRevival »

JacquieJet wrote:Also, for interest, the earliest photo I have of my kitchen was taken around 1955- there are some tiles, but I don't know how old they would have been or what the colour was. This picture was taken prior to the major kitchen renovation that happened in the late 1950's I believe.

The refrigerator just out of view looks like either a 1939 or 1940 GE. The cabinetry around the sink also looks to be about the same vintage, as is the stove, so it's probably safe to say that the kitchen underwent a renovation in the years just before WWII. The sink itself 'might' be original, but its hard to say, as those slop sinks were made in the same style for decades.

JacquieJet
Shakes a cane at new house owners

Post by JacquieJet »

1918ColonialRevival wrote:In the photo of the previous kitchen renovation, the Robin's Egg blue was at its peak around 1957-59, so that gives an indication of when that renovation was done. It looks in good condition to have been 30+ years old when that picture was taken.

People don't realize how much maintenance and care is required with marble and quartz countertops. They get them because they're fashionable, but if they plan on using the kitchen for its intended purposes and not a showpiece, the impracticality starts to show itself almost instantly.

Very interesting! That's the timeline that I was told by the couple's daughter, but since she was so young at the time she couldn't be exact.

I didn't know much about countertop materials before we bought the home, but we knew when we viewed the kitchen for the first time that something wonky was up with them- so much damage. The funny thing is that I ran into a neighbour this past summer who told me that her husband was the contractor who had sold and installed those black countertops for the PO. Like, yaaaaay.... thanks for nothing! LOL. I'm sure they weren't cheap, either!
I will say however that I'm really liking the green man-made quartz counters we have now. No stains, no chips, and so easy to clean. Love them! Plus they are my favourite colour. We ended up going with Caesarstone. No regrets.
Last edited by JacquieJet on Mon Jan 15, 2018 5:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.
1917-ish
Happy 100th birthday, house!!

JacquieJet
Shakes a cane at new house owners

Post by JacquieJet »

1918ColonialRevival wrote:
JacquieJet wrote:Also, for interest, the earliest photo I have of my kitchen was taken around 1955- there are some tiles, but I don't know how old they would have been or what the colour was. This picture was taken prior to the major kitchen renovation that happened in the late 1950's I believe.

The refrigerator just out of view looks like either a 1939 or 1940 GE. The cabinetry around the sink also looks to be about the same vintage, as is the stove, so it's probably safe to say that the kitchen underwent a renovation in the years just before WWII. The sink itself 'might' be original, but its hard to say, as those slop sinks were made in the same style for decades.

This is very interesting, because I always assumed this was the original kitchen. Guess not! Thanks for the two cents!
1917-ish
Happy 100th birthday, house!!