Backsplash in a 1920's kitchen?

A place to hang out, chat and post general discussion topics. (Non-technical posts here)
JacquieJet
Shakes a cane at new house owners

Backsplash in a 1920's kitchen?

Post by JacquieJet »

Hello all,
I still have yet to do my backsplash. My kitchen was renovated by a PO, so is not original, but I would like to pick a backsplash that at least tips the hat to the period of the home.
So, does anyone know what kind of tile was typical for a kitchen backsplash in the 20's? White ceramic rectangles? I've seen those before, with a black ceramic slim piece incorporated near the top.
Any ideas? My kitchen is white with green countertops, if it matters. Thanks!
1917-ish
Happy 100th birthday, house!!

JacquieJet

Re: Backsplash in a 1920's kitchen?

Post by JacquieJet »

Oh, and since I'm making a post, I'll ask this here too-
When we did our steel roof, the contractors removed the weathervane that was there. We still have it, but have yet to put it back on. I like the vane, and I think it's been on the house since at least the 1960's (and possibly a lot earlier), but my concern is creating a leaky roof by screwing it into my new steel roof. Any ideas on how to put it back without creating problems for myself later on?
1917-ish

1918ColonialRevival
Knows where blueprints are hidden

Post by 1918ColonialRevival »

A backsplash of either 3x6 white subway tile or painted tongue and groove wainscot would look right in a 1920s era kitchen.

Take a look at some period literature (even advertisements) for ideas. House Beautiful and House and Garden are two good resources:

https://www.google.com/search?sa=X&hl=en&tbm=bks&q=editions:YyBUXEugrJIC&ved=0ahUKEwiUpqOPudHYAhXJmuAKHYRbAm0QmBYIQDAD&biw=1366&bih=656&dpr=1

https://www.google.com/search?hl=en&tbm=bks&q=editions:a2wvfg8r9yQC&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwiei8O1udHYAhVkmuAKHaeZBU8QmBYITDAG&biw=1366&bih=656&dpr=1

Willa
Revered expert in almost everything

Post by Willa »

This is from a house that was recently on Old House Dreams (blog w/period listings). The house was an 1870's or 80's house, and this kitchen looks like it had tile done in the late 20's or 30's, then had new cupboards added in the 1950's.

The tile looks to be off white, with a narrow contrast strip, with black bullnose tile. Older subway tile tended to be perfectly flat v.s. with the slightly rounded or beveled profile of today's subway tile. This tile is also an usual size.

Bungalow Kitchens by Jane Powell is an excellent resource. The Toronto Public Library has a copy. The Bungalow in question actually means early 20th c. craftsman type homes. There are loads of period kitchen and new kitchens made with a vintage look. Lots of backsplashes, vintage sinks and cabinets.

Do you know about the Olympia Tile Clearance Center ? It is sort of behind Olympia Tile in Toronto. They have some crazy stuff that is really marked down. The last time I was there they had a creamy beige-yellow type narrower subway-ish tile, similar to what you would see in turn of the century fireplace surrounds, and a gigantic amount of mint green 4 x 4 ceramic tiles (like for 50's kitchens). They post what they have in inventory - so if your project needs 20,000 square feet of mint gren tile, they've got it. Hint: do NOT go on a weekend. Olympia Tile itself has a great selection, but some pricey and fancy tiles.

43-Batcheller-Ave-331.jpg
43-Batcheller-Ave-331.jpg (37.38 KiB) Viewed 3776 times

43-Batcheller-Ave-32.jpg
43-Batcheller-Ave-32.jpg (38.8 KiB) Viewed 3776 times

43-Batcheller-Ave-31.jpg
43-Batcheller-Ave-31.jpg (38.48 KiB) Viewed 3776 times

JacquieJet

Post by JacquieJet »

Willa wrote:This is from a house that was recently on Old House Dreams (blog w/period listings). The house was an 1870's or 80's house, and this kitchen looks like it had tile done in the late 20's or 30's, then had new cupboards added in the 1950's.

The tile looks to be off white, with a narrow contrast strip, with black bullnose tile. Older subway tile tended to be perfectly flat v.s. with the slightly rounded or beveled profile of today's subway tile. This tile is also an usual size.

Bungalow Kitchens by Jane Powell is an excellent resource. The Toronto Public Library has a copy. The Bungalow in question actually means early 20th c. craftsman type homes. There are loads of period kitchen and new kitchens made with a vintage look. Lots of backsplashes, vintage sinks and cabinets.

Do you know about the Olympia Tile Clearance Center ? It is sort of behind Olympia Tile in Toronto. They have some crazy stuff that is really marked down. The last time I was there they had a creamy beige-yellow type narrower subway-ish tile, similar to what you would see in turn of the century fireplace surrounds, and a gigantic amount of mint green 4 x 4 ceramic tiles (like for 50's kitchens). They post what they have in inventory - so if your project needs 20,000 square feet of mint gren tile, they've got it. Hint: do NOT go on a weekend. Olympia Tile itself has a great selection, but some pricey and fancy tiles.

Willa, thank you so much for the photos- that's what I had in mind, but those photos actually provide a great example on how to properly execute the look. I will check out OT clearance. I really appreciate the help!!! Thanks!!
1917-ish

JacquieJet

Post by JacquieJet »

1918ColonialRevival wrote:A backsplash of either 3x6 white subway tile or painted tongue and groove wainscot would look right in a 1920s era kitchen.

Take a look at some period literature (even advertisements) for ideas. House Beautiful and House and Garden are two good resources:

https://www.google.com/search?sa=X&hl=en&tbm=bks&q=editions:YyBUXEugrJIC&ved=0ahUKEwiUpqOPudHYAhXJmuAKHYRbAm0QmBYIQDAD&biw=1366&bih=656&dpr=1

https://www.google.com/search?hl=en&tbm=bks&q=editions:a2wvfg8r9yQC&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwiei8O1udHYAhVkmuAKHaeZBU8QmBYITDAG&biw=1366&bih=656&dpr=1

Thank you for the resource links!! Much appreciated!!
1917-ish

1918ColonialRevival
Knows where blueprints are hidden

Post by 1918ColonialRevival »

The black/white combo was at its peak around 1935. It would look nice in any decade kitchen from the 1920s through about 1950.

The kitchen pictured has a ton of potential. I hope whoever gets that house realizes it and doesn't gut it in favor of stainless steel and Ikea cabinets.

Kashka-Kat
Stalwart

Post by Kashka-Kat »

Im taking another approach - no tile. I have a simple laminate countertop reminiscent of soapstone (in fact called "sable soapstone") plus I will attach a 1 x 8 to the wall behind and caulk the joint between counter and board. Top edge angled slightly It will be a fir with a beautiful grain and finished to match the open shelves, trim and other wood in the kitchen and rest of the house.

I dont do a lot of crazy messy cooking though - if I was doing mass canning projects or sometthing then I would want tile or something more durable. I like those replica vintage tin panels too but I would want to do entire kitchen walls with it - like an abandoned house I saw once. Not just under the cabinets.

Sigh.... I still think of that kitchen - it was straight out of early 1900s. The floor was caving in so I didnt go inside - figured I didnt want to risk being buried and crushed alive by a two ton cast iron stove falling on me, with no one no one knowing where I was. That would not be good!

Editted to add - there are some incredible ceramic based paints these days that can be applied to kitchen walls- Im not sure one even needs an actual back splash - only caulk or something to prevent water and gunk seeping down behind the cabinets.

Mick_VT

Post by Mick_VT »

JacquieJet wrote:Oh, and since I'm making a post, I'll ask this here too-
When we did our steel roof, the contractors removed the weathervane that was there. We still have it, but have yet to put it back on. I like the vane, and I think it's been on the house since at least the 1960's (and possibly a lot earlier), but my concern is creating a leaky roof by screwing it into my new steel roof. Any ideas on how to put it back without creating problems for myself later on?

Rubber roofing washers and roofing screws, and optionally a daub of roofing caulk should do the job fine. There are less worries at the peak than lower down, but either way it's good to be cautious IMO
Mick...

Manalto
Inventor of Knob and Tube

Post by Manalto »

1918ColonialRevival wrote:The kitchen pictured has a ton of potential. I hope whoever gets that house realizes it and doesn't gut it in favor of stainless steel and Ikea cabinets.

Sigh. You're far more optimistic than I. There's no way that tiny stove jammed in the corner is going to survive. Don't all stoves now have to have 18 burners?