Storm windows are too short.

A place to hang out, chat and post general discussion topics. (Non-technical posts here)
Vala

Storm windows are too short.

Post by Vala »

OK so there were 5 storm windows in the attic that came with the house, and apparently they're all about 1 inch or so too short. I'm very confused. I didn't even bother to measure them as one might assume if they came with the house and they looked right that they were the correct size. Luckily I only wasted time repainting one of them. The obvious question would be were they for different windows? We don't have any windows that are just 1 inch shorter than these.

Would there have been some reason it was too short or were they just mismeasured when ordered? The storm windows have that barely wavy glass which makes me think they're from circa 1950. Only one of them had the storm hangers the other 4 did not. I bought hangers for them but as you can see in the photos they're useless. strangely they kind of just jam into place and actually scuffed up the window frame in the process. All the storms I've encountered before come out easily.

Needless to say I won't be using these but I'm disappointed.

I know I could add wood the top but of course that would block the view from inside.

storm window too short.jpg
storm window too short.jpg (583.29 KiB) Viewed 748 times

storm window too short 2.jpg
storm window too short 2.jpg (160.44 KiB) Viewed 748 times

storm window blocks view.jpg
storm window blocks view.jpg (273.4 KiB) Viewed 748 times

Gothichome

Re: Storm windows are too short.

Post by Gothichome »

Hummmm :think: they do look they fit nicely side to side. Seems weird to have five stashed in the attic that aren’t meant for the house, maybe add the filler to the bottom of the storm. Would be a waste not to use them.

Vala

Post by Vala »

Gothichome wrote:Hummmm :think: they do look they fit nicely side to side. Seems weird to have five stashed in the attic that aren’t meant for the house, maybe add the filler to the bottom of the storm. Would be a waste not to use them.

They fit too well side to side. As you see, it was so tight I was able to go downstairs and outside, take a photo, come back and it didn't even budge. And when I pulled it out it scuffed up the paint on the jambs. Other storms I've handled weren't like this at all. Seems like if you had enough wind it might come loose and fall if the reason it had no hardware was because it was designed to be jammed into place..

Also some storms I got from another house that amazingly had the same size windows as these, they are also 1 inch too short. And those storms also have no hangers, and in that house they were screwed into place (as in screws through the stiles by a screwgun)

And while that window frame size is the most common one in my place, if I used those, it would have to be on the back or on rooms not frequently used as its pretty ugly to look at extra black space from the inside.

heartwood

Post by heartwood »

a mystery presents itself!

can you split the difference at the top and bottom? there should be at least 3/4" stops at top and bottom of the exterior window opening...does the meeting rail of the storm line up with the meeting rail of the primary sash when you set them on the sill? the issue with the space at top is that water may get in...you could nail (and glue) a stick of wood painted the same as the storm...they are nice looking windows...

...jade

Sashguy

Post by Sashguy »

Since the bottom is tapered, I would screw a shim at the top, shave a blade width from either side, paint them and call it good.

Manalto
Inventor of Knob and Tube

Post by Manalto »

Sashguy wrote:Since the bottom is tapered, I would screw a shim at the top, shave a blade width from either side, paint them and call it good.

...and add some hangers to those that are missing them.

phil
Has many leather bound books

Post by phil »

I agree, split the difference or do whatever you can to make them line up to to bottom, run a hand plane or some 60 grit paper on the edges and shave them down a little and repaint the edges. us waterproof glue to glue the strips on. If the bottom is tapered make it not tapered , glue your stick in, then plane the taper back into it.
often storms had those latch things you turn, two of those plus your hinges and you're set.

Casey
Wizened and wise in the old ways

Post by Casey »

Why not add back all the shortage at the bottom? The hangers are already mounted in solid wood at the top, makes no sense to mount them into a dutchman repair.
The artist formerly known as Sombreuil

Mick_VT

Post by Mick_VT »

Casey wrote:Why not add back all the shortage at the bottom? The hangers are already mounted in solid wood at the top, makes no sense to mount them into a dutchman repair.

Agreed, if it were me I would add the extra at the bottom as well
Mick...

raine
Settling in

Post by raine »

https://www.oldhouseonline.com/articles ... ur-windows
scroll down to install storm windows
apparently space at the bottom and shimmed