Storm windows are too short.

A place to hang out, chat and post general discussion topics. (Non-technical posts here)
phil
Has many leather bound books

Re: Storm windows are too short.

Post by phil »

as was pointed out the frame blocks a little of the stained glass "frame" from the inside, that's why I'd center it vertically if you can. gluing sticks on both top and bottom isn't hard , neither is moving the hinges. changing the size of the hole might even be possible although more work and new glass would be needed, but the hole "could" be enlarged with a router, without disassembling the frame, if desired.

arwenmark
Knows the back streets

Post by arwenmark »

You need space at the bottom for moisture to escape and some airflow but probably not a full inch.

Gothichome

Post by Gothichome »

Vala, have you made a decision on your short storms?

Vala

Post by Vala »

I'm just not going to bother with them. It's just too ugly to have to look at black bars blocking the view out of the windows. and they're too tight on the sides which means they would have to be planed... Just not going to bother with storms for now, my windows don't leak or fog up regardless. Not going to bother with turn buttons because they're just going to get caked with paint each time you paint (every 5 years thanks to modern paints) unless I take them off (and risk losing them).

Gothichome

Post by Gothichome »

Well if nothing else you’ll have spare glass.

Vala

Post by Vala »

Gothichome wrote:Well if nothing else you’ll have spare glass.

Yea well they have that early 50s glass that is just barely wavy. Like almost flat. Honestly will probably order custom storms from one of those companies that sells them and just glaze/paint etc myself to save $. I would have to buy some custom ones anyway as I only had (at least I thought I did) storms for the 70x28 windows. I didnt have any of the other sizes like the 74" tall or the 20/24" wide windows.