How to choose an era for renovations

A place to hang out, chat and post general discussion topics. (Non-technical posts here)
Kashka-Kat
Stalwart

Re: How to choose an era for renovations

Post by Kashka-Kat »

but would I look for 1910, 1920s, or 1930s styling?

Yes - all of the above! Its ok to mix it up - one school of thought re: renovation is that it can have elements from build date on up to the present. Just make sure you know /use principles of good design to ensure everything flows together nicely.

Ex: I chose a certain current model of Mansfield toilet to go with my claw tub - ]it has similar rounded edges and same off white color of the tub. No need to buy a reproduction circa early 1900s toilet! In fact, IMHO sometimes a lot of reproduction items if not chosen according to good design principles and if not consistent with the style/era of your house can look overdone & fakey.

Im assuming your talking about the elements that can be changed out - like your mechanicals, lighting etc. Re: construction and elements like trim, windows , doors etc. -t hose should be as close as possible to original design intention. It doesnt have to be EXACTLY same as was built, just fitting within original design intention.

Willa
Revered expert in almost everything

Post by Willa »

Greenwood wrote:I have a donated dining room table that is 8 feet long, and 10 with leaves. It fits into my dining room, but takes all the space.
Now with my addition, I can move the sofa to a larger space, but I'm stuck with the dining table. Part of my brainworks/personality is that I can't replace something that is 'perfectly good'.

It's okay to let a thing go that doesn't work. If the donated dining room table was a family piece, pass it on to other family members. If it is too big for everyone else in the family, then donate it, sell it on CL, or give it away. It's not like you are trashing it or otherwise disrespecting it.

It is freeing to get rid of the wrong thing that takes up space, that you never actually loved. It also feels really good to find the perfect thing, that works well, that you DO love. With "family heirlooms" a lot of sentimentality and family guilt gets pinned on say, the out of tune piano that nobody plays, that would cost thousands to have restored and tuned. Nobody wants to deal with it, but nobody wants to be the bad guy for making it be gone, either.

Sometimes wrong furniture is like the too small pair of designer pants, in the wrong color, that you found on sale years ago, that you intended to "fit into"- but never did. Just let them go v.s. suffering with the reminder of alleged failure.

phil
Has many leather bound books

Post by phil »

while I'd suggest not changing the theme, like keep baseboards , flooring, doors and trim original to the home the furniture and fixtures can fit your taste and budget. I'd hate to have to live with the original furniture and kitchen, but I'd try to make a new kitchen a more classic one than in modern homes. a few pieces that reflect the age are ok. and so is a couch that's also actually comfortable. I love antique radios But I still want a TV and a computer and a comfortable place to use them. I want a pop up toaster and a microwave and a dishwasher and at least semi modern washing machines.. so make them fit into your environment. You can do both. all your china doesn't need to match either.. In other words you can get to fussy trying to make it fit the era that you and your guests are not so comfortable. Who wants one of those living rooms that are kept perfect for "special" guests that never seem to arrive.. I certainly don't.

just because the building is old doesn't mean you need to be ;-)

mjt
Shakes a cane at new house owners

Post by mjt »

We live in our house, it's not a museum.

Having said that, we try to stay true to the style of our house for the most part. That will sometimes mean modern fixtures in an appropriate style.

Interestingly, the architect of our house also did remodeling of other homes in the area and changed their style quite a bit.

phil

Post by phil »

one obvious solution is to make a theme room, that might be a parlor or guest bedroom that is more to period. of course some here have collected enough furniture to make their living room period. I dont; mind having a mixture. Keep your comfy chair and you can still have some antiques to tie things in and keep it interesting.

One little think Ive done is to eliminate particleboard stuff. I might have some book shelves and whatnot but for the most part I try to make my home free of MDF and particleboard.

phil

Post by phil »

one obvious solution is to make a theme room, that might be a parlor or guest bedroom that is more to period. of course some here have collected enough furniture to make their living room period. I dont; mind having a mixture. Keep your comfy chair and you can still have some antiques to tie things in and keep it interesting.

One little think Ive done is to eliminate particleboard stuff. I might have some book shelves and whatnot but for the most part I try to make my home free of MDF and particleboard.

Ive also finally pulled out the last area with carpet. it feels nice. I also try to remove stuff that is made of plastic. without going too mental about it. I think it feels nicer, I prefer wood and metal, where practical.