Just Bulldoze All of Them

A place to hang out, chat and post general discussion topics. (Non-technical posts here)

Gothichome

Re: Just Bulldoze All of Them

Post by Gothichome »

Gezzzzzz, once again I question, how did we ever survive to adulthood?
Can”t bulldoze now, not without an environmental study, fully removing all lead before the bulldozers move in. Or the alternative, hermetically seal off whole areas built before the lead ban. When will common sense overrule tiny special interest groups, I look forward to that day.

Well at least I know according to the New Zealanders I have no fear of becoming a criminal. Then again, having grown up with lead paint, gasoline, pipes ect, it just might be the lead speaking.

Sashguy

Post by Sashguy »

I often wonder if the building industry lobby is behind all of this.

Jeepnstein
Been here a good while

Post by Jeepnstein »

Sashguy wrote:I often wonder if the building industry lobby is behind all of this.

Gee? You think so? I'm pretty sure they are.

heartwood

Post by heartwood »

the sky is falling! the sky is falling!
there are unscrupulous landlords who rent apartments with failed and flaking paint...that
can pose a danger to children...in many cases where parents can't afford a cleaner place to live, they
can't afford to hire a painter or maybe even purchase the paint and take on the project themselves...
the next best thing is to vac often then wipe surfaces with a damp cloth...

there is absolutely nothing wrong with lead based oil paint if it is in good condition...if a parent
still has concerns, s/he can paint over it and be done with it...

any government organization take eons to come to a conclusion after spending millions of our
tax dollars wastefully...the EPA has instituted over the top regulations for those of us who work
in the trades...every state has different rules and we live in fear of losing our businesses even if
a client is not affected...

being exposed to cigarette smoke, eating processed and fast foods and foods with high corn syrup content, going without proper medical and dental care, being in foster care--all these things are more dangerous than lead paint
that is in good condition...

...jade

1918ColonialRevival
Knows where blueprints are hidden

Post by 1918ColonialRevival »

Gothichome wrote:Gezzzzzz, once again I question, how did we ever survive to adulthood?

Bingo. This lead paint stuff is a crock and it is beyond out of control. I'm sure there have been a small number of legitimate cases, but I'd bet a month's salary that the vast majority of them are lawyers trying to turn a quick buck and sorry excuses for parents attempting to present a reason for their little demons terrorizing the schools and the streets.

Lead is a natural element present in the environment. I guess they forgot that as they drink their fluoridated water.....

Corsetière

Post by Corsetière »

Y'all know how I feel... :lol:

Corsetière

Post by Corsetière »

Grrrr...ok after reading those, I am even more annoyed. So my fear is now that the standards for acceptable lead levels in homes will be so low that it will be impossible to pass clearance exams - and we know what happens then (as this post's title suggests). Here in Ohio, under 40 micrograms per sq ft will pass the exam, but you have to be under 10 micrograms per sq ft to pass if you accept grant money (I think the second number is the federal requirement). 10 micrograms is f**cking insane (please excuse my language). Do you know what a microgram of lead looks like? Smaller than a grain of salt! So if they want to lower the federal level to less than 10 mg, no one will pass.

Maybe instead they should invest money in teaching folks in low income areas better house keeping, because honestly after taking a 40 hour lead abatement course, I can tell you that 95% of the issues are a problem of not cleaning properly and not maintaining your home! Or, if they want to be hard asses about it, require landlords to pass an exam that assesses home safety. Lowering the already ridiculously strict limit is not going to help! wtf...

heartwood

Post by heartwood »

wtf, indeed..........