Hardwood floors for our new sun porch

A place to hang out, chat and post general discussion topics. (Non-technical posts here)
Gothichome

Hardwood floors for our new sun porch

Post by Gothichome »

Need some suggestions from the group. We are having a new sun room built. We get a 3/4 hardwood floor. The flooring is going to be pre stained tongue and grove. The room is unheated but will be fully enclosed. I have been informed I can get anything I want.
Looking for suggestions as to best type of wood.

Mick_VT

Re: Hardwood floors for our new sun porch

Post by Mick_VT »

Hard maple - kind of fits for a Canadian house too
Mick...

phil
Has many leather bound books

Post by phil »

Not sure about your end, but every old house around me has fir floors, fir trim , fir moldings, fir studs,everything is fir. because where my house stands there were giant fir trees everywhere, they had to be cleared to build houses. You cant' even walk through that dense growth in it's natural state. so of course that's what they used.. so to keep with the theme, I'd keep with fir although technically it isn't a hardwood. Maybe out there there is more maple? we had lots of sawmills here from the get go so I can't imagine it was imported, but it was probably exported a lot. the trick with new flooring is to get long boards to match. It might be easier to look for reclaimed and lay them and then sand. That's what I would do myself. Much cheaper too!

maple can be nice. I would die it not stain it because it blotches a lot. it's a lot harder wood. It doesn't have such good rot resistance, fir is better for that. you probably do have more maple out there but I dont; know how much they used it for flooring.. Fir grows in huge trees, in their natural state the bottom half doesn't have many branches because they are so tall and crowded so that wood is great for cutting the long boards from. the grain is straight and the boards dont; go all bendy when you cut it.. Maple is a bit different that way, but I guess there are some big maple trees too. I don't know if you see many floors with 20 foot boards in maple because of this? If the trees have a lot of knots then if you cut long boards they dont; stay straight. a lot of this new prefinished flooring comes in little short pieces. I wouldn't use that stuff. We have maple here too, it is natural, but the fir trees grow taller so along the coast they tend to choke out the maple. I think maple starts faster so it will fill in the forest first if there is a fire or something but out there I think you have bigger maple trees.

AlsatianND
Just Arrived

Post by AlsatianND »

Ash, locally sourced. Blight is decimating the tree, might as well take advantage. Wood is very hardy as flooring.

Goodreau Sawmill, Tilbury, ON

inspiration

phil
Has many leather bound books

Post by phil »

Ash is hard like oak and I have seen a lot of nice knot free stuff lately, probably a good choice if you can get it.