How not to address a Preservationalist

A place to hang out, chat and post general discussion topics. (Non-technical posts here)
Vala

Re: How not to address a Preservationalist

Post by Vala »

A few years back, I used to have a friend who was active in the historical stuff and they bought into the plastic window nonsense because someone told them that they wouldn't be able to afford their heat bills... so many people buy into that sadly...

I don't even know why half the people who buy modern trash windows even bother to do so because 90% of people at least around here never open their windows, ever. It's all about heat or AC. so why not just use storm windows... even just leave them on year round.

Lily left the valley
Inventor of Knob and Tube

Post by Lily left the valley »

Vala wrote:I don't even know why half the people who buy modern trash windows even bother to do so because 90% of people at least around here never open their windows, ever. It's all about heat or AC. so why not just use storm windows... even just leave them on year round.
Because they hear phrases like "energy savings", "life time guarantee", "no maintenance", and "green rebate" and they turn into simplistic idiots that then can only say, "Shut up and take my money." :roll:

I didn't manage to reglaze even one window last year, but I was really pleased when I realized using the rope putty to pinch hit for a season what a difference it will make when I can finally start working on them this year. :romance-heartsfade:
--Proud member of the Industrious Cheapskate Club
--Currently pondering ways to encourage thoughtful restovation and discourage mindless renovation.

Vala

Post by Vala »

Lily left the valley wrote:
Vala wrote:I don't even know why half the people who buy modern trash windows even bother to do so because 90% of people at least around here never open their windows, ever. It's all about heat or AC. so why not just use storm windows... even just leave them on year round.
Because they hear phrases like "energy savings", "life time guarantee", "no maintenance", and "green rebate" and they turn into simplistic idiots that then can only say, "Shut up and take my money." :roll:

I didn't manage to reglaze even one window last year, but I was really pleased when I realized using the rope putty to pinch hit for a season what a difference it will make when I can finally start working on them this year. :romance-heartsfade:

That "you can't afford your heat bills if you have old windows" hogwash really gets my goat. My "new" old windows properly glazed didn't even get any frost this winter even when it was -10F without any storm windows.

In fact I have more cold air from the plastic windows that I have (cant wait to replace them with wood) becuase of the 1/4" gap around the edges stuffed with damp insulation and failing caulk... in fact one plastic window I removed and replaced with a traditional window, the bit of insulation sitting on the bottom of the sill was like a wet rag...

phil
Has many leather bound books

Post by phil »

near me the houses weren't insulated but there was no scarcity for firewod, it was fee for the taking. then people put in plastic windows and took out the fireplaces to make more room, then they outlawed new fireplaces to the point where now, the wood is free and abundant. Who needs more glazing if the wood is free ? ;-)