How not to address a Preservationalist

A place to hang out, chat and post general discussion topics. (Non-technical posts here)
Vala

Re: How not to address a Preservationalist

Post by Vala »

1918ColonialRevival wrote:
Manalto wrote:That's great. Earlier this week, I was talking to my cousin, who has a magnificent house on Capitol Hill (Washington, DC), and was dismayed to learn that she's tired of her 'leaky old windows' and is getting replacements - with the historic commission's approval.

For some reason, the "keep up with the Joneses" mentality prevails in the DC area and one of those items they "keep up" with is replacement windows. I can't tell you how many times I've seen one house in an historic block or neighborhood go for replacement monstrosities and within 3-5 years, almost all of them have them.

It's the same here in Baltimore. The masses have been brainwashed about windows, to the point that it's getting difficult to find an older house that still has its original windows. Every day on the 6 AM news, there are at least three commercials for replacement windows.

Disgusting.. historic districts are allowing it?

1918ColonialRevival
Knows where blueprints are hidden

Post by 1918ColonialRevival »

Vala wrote:
1918ColonialRevival wrote:
Manalto wrote:That's great. Earlier this week, I was talking to my cousin, who has a magnificent house on Capitol Hill (Washington, DC), and was dismayed to learn that she's tired of her 'leaky old windows' and is getting replacements - with the historic commission's approval.

For some reason, the "keep up with the Joneses" mentality prevails in the DC area and one of those items they "keep up" with is replacement windows. I can't tell you how many times I've seen one house in an historic block or neighborhood go for replacement monstrosities and within 3-5 years, almost all of them have them.

It's the same here in Baltimore. The masses have been brainwashed about windows, to the point that it's getting difficult to find an older house that still has its original windows. Every day on the 6 AM news, there are at least three commercials for replacement windows.

Disgusting.. historic districts are allowing it?

If a homeowner does it, they have to throw a few dollars to the City of Baltimore, who then looks the other way. Developers and flippers seem to be given a free pass.

Gothichome

Post by Gothichome »

Here is an article published by the heritage England on retrofitting to double glazed sashes.
https://www.lpoc.co.uk/wp-content/uploa ... ldings.pdf

Mick_VT

Post by Mick_VT »

Gothichome wrote:Here is an article published by the heritage England on retrofitting to double glazed sashes.
https://www.lpoc.co.uk/wp-content/uploa ... ldings.pdf

The (we) Brits are obsessed with double glazing. However I don't recall ever seeing storm windows in my 36 years there, so that may partially explain it
Mick...

Sashguy

Post by Sashguy »

Nothing says historic like fake mutins and flat glass. Would somebody please pass me a glass of koolade?

Vala

Post by Vala »

Sashguy wrote:Nothing says historic like fake mutins and flat glass. Would somebody please pass me a glass of koolade?

You can say that again.

1918ColonialRevival
Knows where blueprints are hidden

Post by 1918ColonialRevival »

Sashguy wrote:Nothing says historic like fake mutins and flat glass. Would somebody please pass me a glass of koolade?

You don't want what those bozos are drinking! :lol:

phil
Has many leather bound books

Post by phil »

Vala wrote:

You can say that again.

Nothing says historic like fake mutins and flat glass. Would somebody please pass me a glass of koolade?

Manalto
Inventor of Knob and Tube

Post by Manalto »

Phil, you weren't supposed to repeat the kool-ade part. Sigh.

Fake muntins make me homicidal - or, rather, muntincidal. I want to snap them to pieces. My analyst says it's perfectly normal. :crazy:

nhguy
Stalwart

Post by nhguy »

Our house is a lonely island in an ocean of houses with replacement windows.
Visitors to our home always comment of the wavy window glass.
I have a good friend, also and old house owner, he was raving mad about all the houses here with replacements.
I really think only passionate old house owners care about these points.
My former town the Historic District Commission regularly allows replacement windows.
The town hall there is clad in vinyl with replacement windows.
The town made all it's buildings exempt from the ordinances within the district.