How not to address a Preservationalist

A place to hang out, chat and post general discussion topics. (Non-technical posts here)
Sashguy

How not to address a Preservationalist

Post by Sashguy »

Ha... thought that y’all my like the approach that this person took.

Do I give them a part of my life or tell them to go where the Angels don’t sing; (Key word “made”)

I got your information off of Nextdoor. It looks like you come highly recommended.

We have a 1925 bungalow in the Heights that we remodeled 3 years ago. At that time we did not have the 4 original windows that the historic district made us keep, repaired. We are looking to do that now.

Is there any way to double pane the windows as well as repair them to make them functional again? Some of the windows are painted shut and others rattle and have air coming through them.

I would love any information you could give me about the process and pricing as well.

Thank you in advance for your help!

Manalto
Inventor of Knob and Tube

Re: How not to address a Preservationalist

Post by Manalto »

Storm windows add another pane of glass; does that qualify as "double"?

Sashguy

Post by Sashguy »

In Houston, where inside air and outside air rarely differ by more than 15 degrees, double pane is a joke.

heartwood

Post by heartwood »

I would suggest that keep the money they had intended to invest in a storm or bi-glass*
cut at the paint lines so the sash slides up and down as intended and replace the ropes and maybe the parting beads if necessary...not a big deal...charge by time and materials with a 'not to exceed' price...
seems pretty straight forward to me...

*bi-glass in a franchise where the original glass and muntins and weights and pulleys are removed...wood is routed from the sash to allow for a second layer of glass with a 1/4" air space in between...the weight balance system is replaced with a vinyl or aluminum jamb liner...fake 'muntins' are applied and, voila, you have a lovely old window sash carrying twice the weight it was intended to carry and which will begin to fail in 10 years or less...

Greenwood
Knows the area

Post by Greenwood »

Could you use this as an opportunity to educate the homeowners?
If they intentionally bought a house in a historic district, maybe they're interested in learning how to appreciate what they have.

Sashguy

Post by Sashguy »

Not a problem to do. I personally do over 300 per year, with the exception of the unit, which I do on occasion, but the fact that they came into my neighborhood, where I was born 67 years ago, and is now a historic district, and hacked up one of the homes so bad that there’s only four original windows left, I am incensed. I told them that I would not be a part of their destruction.

Sashguy

Post by Sashguy »

And BTW Jade. I hope that everyone else gets your comment. Sadly enough, our younger generation just slurps up that koolade :lol:

Manalto
Inventor of Knob and Tube

Post by Manalto »

heartwood wrote:...fake 'muntins' ...

*shudder*

Greenwood
Knows the area

Post by Greenwood »

Ah.
I hadn't understood what was meant by 'remodel'.

Gothichome

Post by Gothichome »

Seems like those folks like the novelty of living in a historic district but have no idea of the mindset of preservation that goes with living in a historic district. Only four windows left, rest all gone, what a waste. Probably the only reason they have the four originals is the board caught wind of what they doing before all the originals were gone.