How not to address a Preservationalist

A place to hang out, chat and post general discussion topics. (Non-technical posts here)
JacquieJet
Shakes a cane at new house owners

Re: How not to address a Preservationalist

Post by JacquieJet »

Although I agree 100% that discarding the original windows in favour of modern ones did a disservice to their home, I will say that when we first bought our current home I had very little knowledge or experience with older homes. I knew I liked the more divided layouts and ornate stylings, but I maybe knew 1/10th of what I know now (which, admittedly, is still not a whole lot! But I'm trying!). Shortly after we moved in, there was a period of time where I was considering tearing out our original windows and installing new casement- to curb drafts, increase energy efficiency, avoid fixing them (it's a daunting task!), and also because everyone around me was saying that's what I should do. Luckily for me (and my home), I took the advice here and decided to sit on it for a while, do some research, and just live in the house for a while before making big changes. I'm so glad I did! Now I see the value in my original windows, and they are here to stay.
But, without the forum, and without researching the topic over time, I can see how some people land on replacement rather than repair. Just wanted to add my two cents.
1917-ish
Happy 100th birthday, house!!

phil
Has many leather bound books

Post by phil »

around me there ar some old original homes for sure, and many haven't had so much done to them, but far more have been updated with modern technology, new wiring, heating systems , insulation including double pane windows. I dont; think it's reached a point of concern where a house with original windows is more valuable in dollars and cents. Most people pay their million for a house and then want to update it to make it more livable. I agree it is nice to see them still in use, but I'd say more have been replaced than remain. In other parts of the city the repairs usually involve one day with a big backhoe and a few dumpster bins so they can maximize the available building layout size.
what needs to happen is to change the views of those issuing new development building permits, if the carrot is taken away then they won't bring in the backhoe.. one solution is to allow the building of laneway houses on properties that are not modified. rules like this would offer a carrot to the ones who preserve rather than replace. Here it is a bit different because there are constant cries for more affordable housing , while land prices skyrocket. in towns with room for expansion the economics are much different , but this isn't the only area seeing changes. other west coat cities in the US see the same effect. If one wanted to make an impact, probably what has the most edffect is being involved at a municipal level in the city planning. Most are too busy with their lives to attend council meeting and such but it does have an impact. When new plans are brought before council , if concerned residents speak up and say the new plans don't fit with the historic preservation plans, this is heard and considered by council.
the cities are in effect businesses and they want to see expansion and more tax dollars so when houses are knocked down and replaced with multi family dwellings this increases funding to the city in the form of higher taxes. Really, the city wants that.

Manalto
Inventor of Knob and Tube

Post by Manalto »

When someone figures out how to make window restoration as quick and (relatively) non-intrusive as replacement, then people will might start doing it. Those who are willing to tolerate the inconvenience of the time it takes for windows out for proper repairs are rewarded with historically-correct originals, but I suspect the mindset of just-get-it-done (and get it done fast) prevails.

Sashguy

Post by Sashguy »

That was the situation here years back. Now that the City Historic bunch realized that they could easily repaired and made energy efficient, replacement, at least within the Districts is frowned on. A lot of this must be to the credit of John Leeke and Jade Hartman.

Manalto
Inventor of Knob and Tube

Post by Manalto »

That's great. Earlier this week, I was talking to my cousin, who has a magnificent house on Capitol Hill (Washington, DC), and was dismayed to learn that she's tired of her 'leaky old windows' and is getting replacements - with the historic commission's approval.

heartwood

Post by heartwood »

sashguy, if you're referring to me, thanks! it's jade Mortimer (heartwood window restoration)...
for 5 years I was co-moderator at historic homeworks, john leeke's preservation forum....

if not, oops...........

Sashguy

Post by Sashguy »

Sorry Jade, the "Heartwood" twisted me again.
Yes, YOU, Jade Mortimer. The work that you and John did, once that our City was pointed in the right direction, was invaluable to our preservation effort. Forever grateful.

heartwood

Post by heartwood »

well, glad to hear that sashguy! thanks for sharing....

1918ColonialRevival
Knows where blueprints are hidden

Post by 1918ColonialRevival »

Manalto wrote:That's great. Earlier this week, I was talking to my cousin, who has a magnificent house on Capitol Hill (Washington, DC), and was dismayed to learn that she's tired of her 'leaky old windows' and is getting replacements - with the historic commission's approval.

For some reason, the "keep up with the Joneses" mentality prevails in the DC area and one of those items they "keep up" with is replacement windows. I can't tell you how many times I've seen one house in an historic block or neighborhood go for replacement monstrosities and within 3-5 years, almost all of them have them.

It's the same here in Baltimore. The masses have been brainwashed about windows, to the point that it's getting difficult to find an older house that still has its original windows. Every day on the 6 AM news, there are at least three commercials for replacement windows.

Sashguy

Post by Sashguy »

Having spent many years in corporate marketing, it always amazes me how easy it is to get inside a consumers head if given a reasonable budget.