Beautiful Period Inspired Pillowcases

A place to hang out, chat and post general discussion topics. (Non-technical posts here)
Corsetière
Knows where blueprints are hidden

Beautiful Period Inspired Pillowcases

Post by Corsetière »

I just came across these pillowcases with Arts & Crafts and Art Nouveau monograms. They're machine embroidered, but I think they are really lovely. Thought it might be of interest to the group...

https://www.victoriantradingco.com/item ... pillowcase

https://www.victoriantradingco.com/item ... pillowcase

Manalto
Inventor of Knob and Tube

Re: Beautiful Period Inspired Pillowcases

Post by Manalto »

Boy, do I look forward to the day when it comes time to think about things like monogrammed pillowcases. I'm at the hope-I-don't-freeze-my-butt-off-this-winter and I-wonder-what-that-spongy-spot-in-the-floor-is stage right now.

They're artfully done, but I must admit I don't really "get" monograms. Is there a practical purpose, like for sorting linens or discouraging theft, for example, or are they purely for decoration?

phil
Has many leather bound books

Post by phil »

personalization.. It's so the crooks get caught when they are down the street with your candlesticks and silverware..

or maybe just to give a touch of class.. ;-) maybe you run a bed and breakfast and want to the name of your place on them..

I remember standing in the airport as they scanned my luggage and in a moment of dim wittedness I had absconded an ashtray from a hotel.. Like I needed it,, I figured ah it's a souvenir and they put there name on them because they know people will do this.. ;-) ,, I was surprised how well the logo showed up.. lol It felt terrible. Guilty! The airport didn't care, or comment.

Lily left the valley

Post by Lily left the valley »

Manalto wrote:Boy, do I look forward to the day when it comes time to think about things like monogrammed pillowcases. I'm at the hope-I-don't-freeze-my-butt-off-this-winter and I-wonder-what-that-spongy-spot-in-the-floor-is stage right now.
I am right there with you with the "hope-I-don't-freeze-my-butt-off-this-winter", though no spongy spot yet. A few other mysteries, though.

I remember in the eighties, everything that could be monogrammed, was. Sweaters, towels, handkerchiefs, pocket watches, your thermos, etc. Part of the preppie wave, I guess.
--Proud member of the Industrious Cheapskate Club
--Currently pondering ways to encourage thoughtful restovation and discourage mindless renovation.

heartwood

Post by heartwood »

oh those are quite lovely...really different script from what I've seen...very nice indeed...

Corsetière

Post by Corsetière »

Manalto wrote:Boy, do I look forward to the day when it comes time to think about things like monogrammed pillowcases. I'm at the hope-I-don't-freeze-my-butt-off-this-winter and I-wonder-what-that-spongy-spot-in-the-floor-is stage right now.

#relatable :lol:

I'm at the "Hopefully-I-don't-get-condemned-in-4-months-from-now" stage. But it is fun to dream of better days... :lol:

Lily left the valley

Post by Lily left the valley »

Corsetière wrote: But it is fun to dream of better days... :lol:
I don't say this often, but Amen to that. :angel:
--Proud member of the Industrious Cheapskate Club
--Currently pondering ways to encourage thoughtful restovation and discourage mindless renovation.

Greenwood
Knows the area

Post by Greenwood »

I learned to hand embroider pillow cases from my grandma. Not something I do anymore, but no reason not to. She would also personalize all types of fabrics by adding crochet trim- table cloths, aprons, towels, dish cloths ...

I too look forward to a time when I'm thinking about decorating touches on my home, but am currently in the "I hope I don't freeze my butt off or go broke this winter" stage.

Powermuffin
Forgotten more than most know

Post by Powermuffin »

I love collecting beautiful linens, especially those that have been hand-embellished because I seriously love the skill involved. I use all of them, even though I cringe when I put them out, hoping that they won't be spoiled. This is quite in line with why I love old houses; the craftsmanship of both is slipping away.
Diane

Corsetière

Post by Corsetière »

Greenwood wrote:I learned to hand embroider pillow cases from my grandma. Not something I do anymore, but no reason not to. She would also personalize all types of fabrics by adding crochet trim- table cloths, aprons, towels, dish cloths ...

I too look forward to a time when I'm thinking about decorating touches on my home, but am currently in the "I hope I don't freeze my butt off or go broke this winter" stage.

I should really do some hand embroidered linens sometime. I love to do hand embroidery and have taught classes on the subject. This is a Christmas ornament I made as a gift. :)