Marley was dead: to begin with...

A place to hang out, chat and post general discussion topics. (Non-technical posts here)
Olson185
Been here a good while

Re: Marley was dead: to begin with...

Post by Olson185 »

awomanwithahammer wrote:Image

This is on my local Facebook Marketplace feed. Any takers?

This is the "Greenman" door knocker. Avail. at Lowe's, or any number of home stores, for about $73.00.

Greenman Door Knocker at Lowe's
~James

Fourth generation in a family of artists, engineers, architects, woodworkers, and metalworkers. Mine is a family of Viking craftsmen. What we can't create, we pillage, and there's nothing we can't create. But, sometimes, we pillage anyway.

awomanwithahammer
Knows where blueprints are hidden

Post by awomanwithahammer »

Oh, wow, I didn't know that. Thanks for the info, James. And for being a buzzkill. :problem:
Bonnie

Olson185
Been here a good while

Post by Olson185 »

Actually, I didn't know it was a new item. I just saw the leaves surrounding the face and couldn't remember if "greenman" was the correct term.

The greenman is not supposed to be scary but, rather, like the "Ent" J.R.R. Tolkien wrote about in Lord of the Rings.

So I searched "greenman" and saw the ads. I was surprised. But, given it's a new item, I can see now why the greenman is misrepresented as a gargoyle type of persona (our contemporaries don't often bother to learn about the things they represent or make reference).

This better represents the traditional view of Greenman: Greenman Image
~James

Fourth generation in a family of artists, engineers, architects, woodworkers, and metalworkers. Mine is a family of Viking craftsmen. What we can't create, we pillage, and there's nothing we can't create. But, sometimes, we pillage anyway.

Gothichome

Post by Gothichome »

Brand new eh! Well there’s a lesson learned. Never trust what you see on the net. Reminds me of one of my antique buying mistakes. We bought a gate bell at an antique shop many years ago. Was brass, looked old, and was unique, paid a premium for it. Soon there after we started seeing them at other antique stores on occasion, then at antique shows. With a little bit of research, they were all brand new with artificial patina. Seems they were being knocked off in India and trickled into the market.
F297BE72-DDBC-4BF8-AD0E-3B7B64F2CC4E.jpeg
F297BE72-DDBC-4BF8-AD0E-3B7B64F2CC4E.jpeg (33.85 KiB) Viewed 234 times