how to apply poly

A place to hang out, chat and post general discussion topics. (Non-technical posts here)
phil
Has many leather bound books

how to apply poly

Post by phil »

It's a little low on content and maybe a teensy bit sexist but I found the presentation humorous.. ;-)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zFVBsobIdUE

Phil

DRJR
Knows the area

Re: how to apply poly

Post by DRJR »

I didn't know how to apply stain. So I watched that first. :mrgreen: :text-thankyouyellow:
Home formally know as Rotten Ranch

Patched up fireplace, rotten and new siding, with other issues getting the arts and crafts makeover. :mrgreen:

Willa
Revered expert in almost everything

Post by Willa »

Ugh, appalling video.

Sow's Ear Mal
Stalwart

Post by Sow's Ear Mal »

Sexist, but pretty tongue-in-cheek. Aniela McGuinness. She has since posted re her double mastectomy. Sad irony.

Willa

Post by Willa »

I love parody and humour with a sharp wit. I found this really lacking., and the bad "sexy" acting is like nails on a chalkboard.

A video with an attractive person demonstrating something, where their personality and abilities makes them more appealing is different than this.

Why is stupid sexualizing(of women) assumed to be amusing or okay ? Even when the woman is doing it to herself - why is she doing this ? I'm a woman and I DON'T find this "empowering" whatsoever.

Compare this video (not about poly), made by a woman with loads of experience and competence:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ro_-VK5mw28

Olson185
Been here a good while

Post by Olson185 »

I've seen similar vids, made by women, re: various survival/camping skills, metal detecting, etc. Some have become quite YouTube financially successful.
~James

Fourth generation in a family of artists, engineers, architects, woodworkers, and metalworkers. Mine is a family of Viking craftsmen. What we can't create, we pillage, and there's nothing we can't create. But, sometimes, we pillage anyway.

Willa

Post by Willa »

So acting stupid is okay if it is finacially rewarding ?

Olson185
Been here a good while

Post by Olson185 »

Willa wrote:So acting stupid is okay if it is finacially rewarding ?

Where did I say anything was okay or not? Huh?

I get so sick and tired of people accusing me of saying things I simply did not say.

I'd really like to know what I've ever posted on HD to make me a target of sarcasm and hate. Whatever it is, I surely apologize as it wasn't my intention to bother anyone.
~James

Fourth generation in a family of artists, engineers, architects, woodworkers, and metalworkers. Mine is a family of Viking craftsmen. What we can't create, we pillage, and there's nothing we can't create. But, sometimes, we pillage anyway.

phil
Has many leather bound books

Post by phil »

there are many who appreciate a little silly humor and to others it's just "stupid".
I do believe a little humor is healthy.. I think Aniela rocks, she's just so cute it's hard not to smile ear to ear.. There are plenty of dull refinishing videos.. I was surprised how many are full of misinformation and done by real amateurs. I watched one where this guy is french polishing a board.. He shows ever step and it is so bloody long.. but there is a lot of good info mixed in.. I enjoy watching them and
I take away what I want to.. There are a lot of good ones and a lot of promo ones that are real garbage.

Some appreciate silly or racy humor and some don't get it.. here's some Benny hill "the handyman"
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hJC4HvpWewM

Jeepnstein
Been here a good while

Post by Jeepnstein »

I recently replaced the floor in my little utility trailer. Of course I needed to give the untreated 2x12s some kind of protective coating. Since I had a buddy "helping" me at the time we just took a gallon of old exterior poly I had left over from the long-gone kids' swing set and just poured it all over the thing and kind of mopped it into place with a previously ruined roller. After we finished he commented on how we should have shot a video of that one. The trailer looks like a million bucks if you don't look to close and see all the bugs and stuff we encapsulated for future generations.