Old tools

A place to hang out, chat and post general discussion topics. (Non-technical posts here)
cat2014
Knows the area

Old tools

Post by cat2014 »

Not sure if this is the right place to post this put I've got some old tools with the old wood tool boxes that I would like to get rid of. Dont' know if they're worth anything....any help???
Attachments
tools-4.gif
tools-4.gif (136.23 KiB) Viewed 331 times
tools2.gif
tools2.gif (147 KiB) Viewed 331 times
tools-1.gif
tools-1.gif (111.29 KiB) Viewed 331 times
You may say I'm a dreamer, but I'm not the only one......John Lennon

phil
Has many leather bound books

Re: Old tools

Post by phil »

that's a nice little selection.
top left those bars might be for breaking rock. can't see the ends.. the hammer is nice , see the shape of the head? it's kind of a classic design and still quite usable for little nails, not framing. near the hammer those are spokeshaves.. also still useful tools. you iwont;l find better new ones. the curved pliers are interesting , maybe for pulling tacks or horseshoing? they are probably really great steel. worth keeping.

bottom pic the eggbeater drill. this is the original cordless drill, keep it , it is still very useful for starting small holes in precise places like positioning screws in hinges etc. It isn't outdated. leather strap probably from an apron, funny wrenches are probably for fixing bicycles. the crank might be to run an old hand operated grindstone.. That's a "yankee screwdriver" , it might have a threaded plug and spare tips in the handle.. they are common but very useless and awkward to use. I'm always surprised so many exist. I guess it's the original cordless screwdriver. you can put a spade type bit in it and make starter holes for hinges and stuff.. driving screws with it is an exercise in frustration
the hand made block planes will work but they aren't really useful for a lot unless you like using tools like that for the nostalgia. I'm not sure what the brass thing near the tip of the yankee screwdriver is.. pencil sharpener? cant' really see it too well.. I think I have some spare new old stock spirit level bubbles somewhere. or you could steal one from a modern level. that big wrench might be one of the stock wrenches from an old car. I'd keep using the putty knife , it has a world of experience behind it ;-)

I'd clean out the little oilcan and put some new 3 in 1 oil in it and use it .. some people just collect oilcans, they always have such neat shapes.

I have duplicates of almost every tool there.. mostly from my dad who was a former carpenter and cabinetmaker. I wouldn't sell them for the world.. what you have there is mostly nostalgic and maybe useful but probably not super valuable.. they do deserve to be appreciated if not used.

cat2014
Knows the area

Post by cat2014 »

Thanks Phil. After speaking with the other half ( :-) ) he said not to get rid of; he's going to go through them and put with his tools. As for the big wooden tool boxes I'll have to figure out how to display them somewhere int he house. They are too cool to get rid of.
You may say I'm a dreamer, but I'm not the only one......John Lennon

phil
Has many leather bound books

Post by phil »

cat2014 wrote:Thanks Phil. After speaking with the other half ( :-) ) he said not to get rid of; he's going to go through them and put with his tools. As for the big wooden tool boxes I'll have to figure out how to display them somewhere int he house. They are too cool to get rid of.

I'd just keep the old tools in the box and as you find old screwdrivers with wooden handles and other neat old tools , Just keep the set together. wooden boxes are good for old tools , they sort of work as a humidor and prevent rust, keeping the oil can in there helps too.

i bought a half dozen or traditional old carpenters toolboxes.. mostly the kind with carry handles. and I use them.. but I remember being at the auction and this guy said he'd find them at garage sales and paint them up with flowers and such and plant flowers in them and sell them.. each is divided in different ways to suit the tools of the particular tradesman. some are quite well constructed..almost every one is unique. I use an old one every day at work just because I like it and it's easy to carry and the right length to carry any of my longer tools in. I carry a new one in the other hand with more pouches..so I can divide the weight and balance myself.. they work well.