Is Florentine Glass still produced?

A place to hang out, chat and post general discussion topics. (Non-technical posts here)
Lily left the valley
Inventor of Knob and Tube

Re: Is Florentine Glass still produced?

Post by Lily left the valley »

Manalto wrote:I meant at my house.
Ah. So you haven't thought of a use for it there that you find acceptable to you and/or the historical district overfolks. Got it. ;)
--Proud member of the Industrious Cheapskate Club
--Currently pondering ways to encourage thoughtful restovation and discourage mindless renovation.

Stormlight
Just Arrived

Post by Stormlight »

Can you please tell me you found it online.

I’m having trouble finding sheets around the size of 19x30 inches

Thank you

Willa
Revered expert in almost everything

Post by Willa »

Stormlight wrote:Can you please tell me you found it online.

I’m having trouble finding sheets around the size of 19x30 inches

Thank you

Contact your local stained glass shop that does repairs/restoration. Some glass places (regular window glass, mirrors, etc.) also stock it or can special order it.

GinaC
Forgotten more than most know

Post by GinaC »

Do they make it in tempered glass, by chance? Vermont doesn't have any housing code, at least not where I am, but my research tells me that most areas require tempered glass if a window is in a shower area, and that's where I plan to move my tub.
1939 Minimal Traditional

Manalto
Inventor of Knob and Tube

Post by Manalto »

Lily left the valley wrote: Thu Oct 05, 2017 3:42 pm
Manalto wrote:I meant at my house.
Ah. So you haven't thought of a use for it there that you find acceptable to you and/or the historical district overfolks. Got it. ;)
I know I posted this in "Thornewood Antics" but I'm so pleased, I'm posting twice. I found a use - traditional privacy for a bathroom window.

An additional note to give this duplicate post some value: all Florentine is not the same. Commonly available is a type with a disc center to the flower shape and no background striations. I believe the original old fashioned Florentine glass has no disc center and background striations are present, as shown here:

When you install this glass, be aware of the orientation of the striations, making sure that they are consistent from pane to pane. (My preference is for a vertical orientation.)