Window Shades

A place to hang out, chat and post general discussion topics. (Non-technical posts here)
Manalto
Inventor of Knob and Tube

Window Shades

Post by Manalto »

I was reluctant to start a whole new thread for just one question, but maybe it will inspire conversation on the topic.

Where can I find plain, old-fashioned roller-type window shades? You know, the kind that you can raise and lower to any height with a gentle tug at the bottom. Sometimes a 2" ring-shaped pull dangled from the hole in the center. If I remember correctly, sometimes they were dark green on one side and white on the other.

Willa
Revered expert in almost everything

Re: Window Shades

Post by Willa »

That four letter word: Ikea.

They have a couple of versions of roller blinds. I have the Tupplur in black. They have the color on both sides. Mine have been fussy about staying down (something about the spring-like mechanism). There are other roller blinds out there, but much more expensive. Also - the mounting hardware is plastic. As black out blinds they are pretty good. There is also the semi-sheer Skogs-something roller blinds.

Greenwood
Knows the area

Post by Greenwood »

I was just researching the same thing. My grandma's house had green waxy cloth roller blinds and the blind fixtures are still on the windows, so I'm going to try and install something similar.
I found this website, but have not yet really looked into it.
https://www.selectblinds.com/roller-shades.html
I'd be interested to hear what you end up purchasing.
Andrea

phil
Has many leather bound books

Post by phil »

the roller blinds are common but the material they use for the blind varies. Usually they are longer than you need so people just pull them down the right amount for the window. I think you could simply attach the type of textile you like which opens up options. I don't see any reason cloth wouldn't work you'd just need to hem the edges and then use speed sew to attach it to the roll a few inches from the end, or sew them together if you are so inclined. but you wont; really see the joint as long as the piece you add is a bit longer than you need.

I found a bunch of free vertical blinds on Craigslist. I'm pondering if they will work or just look out of place. they have aluminum tracks and plastic slats but then there is a sort of hemp like cover that envelops the plastic slats. ive also got a bunch of thin plywood slats in the basement, it looks like the PO cut them to size planning to do something like replacing the plastic slats with thin plywood.

the problem is that they might look really dorky with no valance and adding a valance would look so wrong. My PO had made wooden ones and I was so happy to rip them out.

I like the ones James found and kept put away. I think duplicating those in wood might look really nice. some species might lend themselves better to this as the slats need to be cut thin enough but not curl up. Maple might work nicely. Fir would be nicer but it might want o curl too much unless it was really fine grained stuff and cut a little on the thick side.

I was thinking how to deaden the noise in my bedroom from all the traffic and I picked up one of those accordion type wooden doors from the back alley. it is nice wood and has sort of plastic hinge material but it's 3/4 thick. I envisioned maybe having one on either side and insetting thick glass into each panel then they could be closed without blocking all the light and easy to open. I thought if I cut a slot into the wood slats maybe leather could be glued into the slots to act as a hinge. my bedroom windows hinge out and interior storms would really be in the way so I thought well if I did it that way it might block the noise and not need to swing into the room. ceiling space is an issue for them swinging out of the way. I get jerks on Harley's riding by and cracking the throttle wide open with open pipes in the middle of the night. - so disturbing. I guess the other option might be to put thick glass windows on the interior that are divided vertically so they would open like two bifold doors.. that might be easier to make. I was thinking they could have really thick glass like maybe 1/4".

Mick_VT

Post by Mick_VT »

I think they are fairly commonly available at places that sell drapes etc. Even Home Despot sells cheapo vinyl ones. Maybe try a search online?
Mick...

Manalto

Post by Manalto »

I searched online (of course) and didn't have much luck finding the ordinary ones. I found plenty of "custom" shades for exorbitant sums. Also, plenty with pull cords, beaded cords, a lacy flap at the bottom, a photo of Che Guevara silkscreened on the fabric - you get the idea. I was hoping to find a leave-well-enough-alone window shade that's either all white or white on one side and green on the other. Since my original post, I've found what looks like the right thing at Sears (Levolor) for a reasonable price - and the hardware appears to be metal. I'm going to check it out. I think I'd eventually like to have wooden Venetian blinds on those windows that get the fierce afternoon sun; still mulling that over.

phil
Has many leather bound books

Post by phil »

when I worked in the graphics and printing world I was trained on these high end inkjet printers. The cyan , magenta, Yellow and black inks are sprayed out towards the sheet which is mounted on a rotating drum and the stream of ink is broken into droplets by a crystal that vibrates at a high frequency. they are magnetic inks which can be directed with magnetism.. it's not to different to the way older TV's have a gun to project the image on the screen.
The ink is either allowed to project itself onto the paper or redirected to waste. It wastes more ink than it uses but ink costs are kind of inconsequential. the digital file is streamed to the machine during imaging. The droplets are very tiny so the resolution is very good, not like what you get on a home computer printer - these are commercial machines.

they were initially created as devices for "proofing". - If you were to order a large printing job they would make you up a contract proof and you would be able to examine one printed on the paper of your choice so you could sign off not only on the content but also on color and composition. Large presses are very expensive so setting up a press to print a small number is not practical , this is why these digital proofing machines exist.

Since these Iris machines spray out the ink, they can print on various substances. ( in offset printing the sheet is squeezed between a couple of steel cylinders.) I have seen shops using a special paper that has a linen pattern embossed into it. If you use an iris to copy an oil painting then the resolution and quality is very good and since the finished product is made on a substrate that has the texture of canvas, the result is something very convincingly close to an oil painting.

The Veris printer was a subsequent design and I was trained on that as well but with that one you had to use the approved paper as the machine would scan the paper and the paper provided by the manufacturer. I had a special digital logo. if it didn't see the logo, it would reject the paper and that forced the user to buy the paper from the manufacturer. These are very fussy machines as the color is kept within standards with the intent of getting a sign off from the customer on color. The contract proof has to be a very accurate reproduction of what the printed sheet will look like.. so this isnt' the cheapest printing method.

so a lot of info about digital printers , but I think if you could find someone with a sign shop that owns an Iris (not a Veris) this would be a great way to create roll up shades on a material with a similar look to fabric and with the designs of your choosing.. the size might be somewhat limited but a common press size is 40" so it isn't impossible to get close to that.

If you are going to buy an oil painting , look very closely as it is quite easy to create very convincing artwork that looks very much like an oil painting. I almost couldn't believe my eyes when I saw printers doing this.

I know you just wanted green or white , something simple but I thought I'd point out that this technology exists.. it could lead to some interesting roll up blinds and you could use your choice of graphics.

Corsetière
Knows where blueprints are hidden

Post by Corsetière »

I actually sewed my own Roman Shades because I could not find anything I liked that was reasonably priced. This is the tutorial I used: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x1Bllmkid-Y

I still need to add a metal dowel rod in the bottom so it hangs a bit smoother but you can see the general idea:

Manalto

Post by Manalto »

Those are nice. I've made Roman shades also in the past, but for this situation and because of their lack of bulk and ease of use, I'd like the spring-loaded shades of yore. (My memory is probably inaccurate, but it seems that when I was a kid just about every window had either shades or Venetian blinds.) I'm also considering canvas awnings for the outside - but first I have to find out if historical society regulations permit. I'd be surprised if they didn't.