Fantastic Picket Fence Spotted on Shorpy

A place to hang out, chat and post general discussion topics. (Non-technical posts here)
Willa
Revered expert in almost everything

Fantastic Picket Fence Spotted on Shorpy

Post by Willa »

This is so great:

SHORPY-01590a.jpg
SHORPY-01590a.jpg (2.28 MiB) Viewed 494 times

Vala

Re: Fantastic Picket Fence Spotted on Shorpy

Post by Vala »

I just saw that on Shorpy before coming here! Beautiful, esp that gate way. The house is apparently still around.
https://www.bing.com/images/search?q=38 ... ORM=HDRSC2

Greenwood
Knows the area

Post by Greenwood »

I've never heard of Shorpy before. What a neat site!
Yes, a beautiful fence.

Gothichome

Post by Gothichome »

Well isn't that a great looking wooden fence and a spectacular gate. Hell to paint though. I wonder, would those pickets be a milled item, if not can you imagine the time it took to hand saw.

Willa

Post by Willa »

Gothichome wrote:Hell to paint though. I wonder, would those pickets be a milled item, if not can you imagine the time it took to hand saw.

Judging from the pic the house and the fence were long overdue for some paint !

Yes, I wonder what the story was with that fancy fence and gate. Was there a carpenter in the home who was a show-offy type ? Were the kids taught to do that scroll saw work and somewhere is the clumsy first and the much refined last picket ? Or did the pickets come from a big city catalog ?

I do wish people still made fancy things like this, despite the PITA factor.

Lily left the valley
Inventor of Knob and Tube

Post by Lily left the valley »

If someone ever wanted for a reason to buy a paint sprayer, that fence would be one for certain.

Great find!
--Proud member of the Industrious Cheapskate Club
--Currently pondering ways to encourage thoughtful restovation and discourage mindless renovation.

phil
Has many leather bound books

Post by phil »

Gothichome wrote:Well isn't that a great looking wooden fence and a spectacular gate. Hell to paint though. I wonder, would those pickets be a milled item, if not can you imagine the time it took to hand saw.

Bit of work with a bandsaw or jigsaw but nothing hard there really. you can stack a half dozen at a time.

Gothichome

Post by Gothichome »

Phill, judging by the home I would suggest no electricity was used in the making of those pickets. But you are correct, a steam or water wheeled mill shop would be to place to make them on mass. If not, I can see a first or second year apprentice getting very good with his jigsaw by the time they were all done.
I think I would (if they were made in a saw mill) saw out the shape in a larger blank and just ripe them into separate pickets rather than stacking picket blanks and then shaping.
No one yet has commented on the layed brick columns going all they way up, you won't see that too often.

Willa

Post by Willa »

Gothichome wrote:No one yet has commented on the layed brick columns going all they way up, you won't see that too often.

They are really something ! On Shorpy the pic enlarges very large so all the detail is shown. It is an odd feature that is uncommon. I wonder what the story with them was ?

Gothichome

Post by Gothichome »

Willa, just a thought, maybe the second floor is an add on. The first floor is brick the second wood. Maybe they just continued the columns to support the rather large dormer opening up the attic space. Can a dormer that large still be considered a dormer, Hmmmm.?