Before and after 10 years

A place to hang out, chat and post general discussion topics. (Non-technical posts here)
Powermuffin
Forgotten more than most know

Before and after 10 years

Post by Powermuffin »

We have been in our house for 11 years now, at first on a lease and then purchased it. It was sad when we bought it, all the original trim and kitchen cabinets were painted badly, old bathroom was disgusting, the yard was all weeds, porch was sinking making a frown, exterior paint was peeling, driveway was dirt, walkway was deteriorated and dangerous, and don't even get me started on the 7 layers of wallpaper, 1970's paneling, the shop light in the dining room...

So we just finished the final upgrades to the front of the house after dealing with all the interior issues. Replaced the driveway, laid a new front walk with used bricks, added railings, tiled the front stoop, added window boxes and reconfigured the landscaping. We did all the work from scratch, except we hired out the driveway. The flower beds are lined with used bricks like the walkway. My husband jacked up the porch and added footers. He also built a beautiful cedar gate across the driveway so that he can park his truck behind it. We love our house, the neighborhood and the city so this is it for us. Our sons will have to carry us out on stretchers. :shock:
Here is the before and after.
2006.jpg
2006.jpg (54.82 KiB) Viewed 377 times
2017.jpg
2017.jpg (54.78 KiB) Viewed 377 times

Deb
Knows the back streets

Re: Before and after 10 years

Post by Deb »

Such a cozy looking house! You can tell it's well loved!

Nicholas
Shakes a cane at new house owners

Post by Nicholas »

Your house is so similar to mine that I just had to stop in and say how happy I am for you and what a great job you did.

I am in a same situation with the love of our town and the neighborhood, many of those that live on our street have been the original owners or kept in the family since the early 20's.

I too hope this one stays with my daughters long after I am a bag of dust.
1915 Frame Vernacular Bungalow

"If it ain't leanin' or a little crooked then it ain't got character"
- local resident

The BumbleBee House

Wackyshack
Forgotten more than most know

Post by Wackyshack »

Looks great... and then there is all that hidden work of breaking down things to put it back the right way transitional phases no one ever sees. Love your house!
If everything is coming your way..... You're in the WRONG lane!!!