Irma check in thread

A place to hang out, chat and post general discussion topics. (Non-technical posts here)
Lily left the valley
Inventor of Knob and Tube

Irma check in thread

Post by Lily left the valley »

I know Nicholas is in the path, not sure of anyone else just yet.

Sean has family down there too, as that is his early childhood stomping grounds (Mango then, but the family is now a bit north of Tampa).

To all that may be affected, you are in our thoughts, and we are hoping for the best for you in a terrible situation.
--Proud member of the Industrious Cheapskate Club
--Currently pondering ways to encourage thoughtful restovation and discourage mindless renovation.

Nicholas
Shakes a cane at new house owners

Re: Irma check in thread

Post by Nicholas »

awomanwithahammer wrote:Nicholas, I didn't realize you were in Florida. Are you evacuating? Be safe. Good thoughts going out that your house will be OK, and that you will be able to come back to it.

Manalto wrote:Nicholas, I join Bonnie in hoping your house will be unharmed.

Lily left the valley wrote:We saw the new path projection today, and my heart sank a bit, thinking of you. I hope your Bumblebee weathers whatever is ahead well, and you, yourself, will be safe.

Thanks Lily, Manalto and Bonnie With A Hammer. I was thinking of starting a thread on this, more to not clutter up Lily's intro page, so I come and here it is. The Irma thread.

So I woke this morning to a new path, yesterday they had it going right over Lakeland which would have put me within the eye. Last night didn't look good at all, and now possibly worse, as it stays stronger on the path it is now on.

There are many old homes here like mine that probably never saw a CAT 5 storm. The new rule for code is that a home must withstand 120 mph sustained winds for one minute. This is my concern.

So this morning I am boarding up, and hope by time I am done, the track goes westerly again and that the news is a little better for all.
1915 Frame Vernacular Bungalow

"If it ain't leanin' or a little crooked then it ain't got character"
- local resident

The BumbleBee House

Gothichome

Post by Gothichome »

Nicholas, and every else in the path, stay safe.

Lily left the valley

Nicholas wrote:Thanks Lily, Manalto and Bonnie With A Hammer. I was thinking of starting a thread on this, more to not clutter up Lily's intro page, so I come and here it is. The Irma thread.

So I woke this morning to a new path, yesterday they had it going right over Lakeland which would have put me within the eye. Last night didn't look good at all, and now possibly worse, as it stays stronger on the path it is now on.

There are many old homes here like mine that probably never saw a CAT 5 storm. The new rule for code is that a home must withstand 120 mph sustained winds for one minute. This is my concern.

So this morning I am boarding up, and hope by time I am done, the track goes westerly again and that the news is a little better for all.
Thanks for checking in! We'll be keeping an eye on it for the duration. If there's anything we can do, please let us know. We may be in MA, yet we'll do what we can. Internet neighbors are still neighbors, after all. :romance-grouphug:
--Currently pondering ways to encourage thoughtful restovation and discourage mindless renovation.

mjt

Post by mjt »

Hope everyone is safe. My mother-in-law has a winter place (on the beach!) in Naples. It's probably going to be bad for the place, but at least she's here (MN) rather than there.

Manalto

Post by Manalto »

This is a pretty good, clear forecast for Irma, as of 5 p.m. today:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d50WyI0JSH4&app=desktop

Nicholas

Post by Nicholas »

mjt wrote:Hope everyone is safe. My mother-in-law has a winter place (on the beach!) in Naples. It's probably going to be bad for the place, but at least she's here (MN) rather than there.

Yes Naples got hit just as it was strengthening after its visit with Cuba, and I hope the place on the beach is ok. But it is better that it hit land sooner and then weakened instead of hugging the coast and wiping out half the state. The eye passed right over my town and nearby Lakeland but winds probably were around 80 by then.

The power went out at 9pm, I fell asleep despite my efforts by about 11pm, still on the couch staring at a blank TV screen, the next thing I know its 5 am and I am still inside a house. Some large limbs took out power in the area and a lot of branches all over the roads.

Bottom line, we got an insignificant eye and about 13 hours of storm, while Naples got the significant eye, and SE Florida got 30 hours of storm.

Just got power back at around 3pm
1915 Frame Vernacular Bungalow

"If it ain't leanin' or a little crooked then it ain't got character"
- local resident

The BumbleBee House

Lily left the valley

Nicholas wrote:
mjt wrote:Hope everyone is safe. My mother-in-law has a winter place (on the beach!) in Naples. It's probably going to be bad for the place, but at least she's here (MN) rather than there.

Yes Naples got hit just as it was strengthening after its visit with Cuba, and I hope the place on the beach is ok. But it is better that it hit land sooner and then weakened instead of hugging the coast and wiping out half the state. The eye passed right over my town and nearby Lakeland but winds probably were around 80 by then.

The power went out at 9pm, I fell asleep despite my efforts by about 11pm, still on the couch staring at a blank TV screen, the next thing I know its 5 am and I am still inside a house. Some large limbs took out power in the area and a lot of branches all over the roads.

Bottom line, we got an insignificant eye and about 13 hours of storm, while Naples got the significant eye, and SE Florida got 30 hours of storm.

Just got power back at around 3pm
:dance: Thank you for the check in! Glad to hear you are ok.

mjt

Post by mjt »

Glad to hear you are OK @nicholas.

We're starting to get some information about my mother-in-law's place. Early indications are it survived. I think we dodged one.

awomanwithahammer
Knows where blueprints are hidden

Post by awomanwithahammer »

Nicholas, so happy to hear that your house survived well. How about the barn?
Bonnie