Texas members - Hurricane Harvey

A place to hang out, chat and post general discussion topics. (Non-technical posts here)
TexasRed
Been here a good while

Texas members - Hurricane Harvey

Post by TexasRed »

Thank You to Phil for bringing this up... (on another thread).

Reaching out to any Texas members living in the coastal area. If you have access to power and/or internet, PLEASE let us know you are safe when you are able.

I believe there is just a handful of us here that reside in the Lone Star State, several of which are in the area devastated by Hurricane Harvey. It has been an unprecedented storm - the flooding and damage is beyond words....just epic.

I know Sashguy is in hard-hit Houston. Has anyone had contact with him?

I have been in daily contact with pqtex who lives east of Houston. As of Wednesday morning they had received 46" of rain (since Saturday morning) with another day of heavy rain yet to go before the storm moves on. They chose to stay in their home and protect their property. Flooding, downed trees as expected. Surprisingly, they still had electricity as of Wednesday a.m. Glad to report that she is safe and well prepared to ride out the storm.

I'm sure there are other members living near the devastation (now entering Louisiana) or who have family there. Whether hunkered down at home or evacuated to a shelter, sending my prayers they are all safe & well.

I'm 350 miles inland from Houston. Other than some cool breezes and a scant .25" rain shower on Saturday, no effects this far away. This storm was slow moving and although localized, has directly impacted the lives of 4.5 million people.

Any THD members residing in Texas, please check in and share your experience.
Last edited by TexasRed on Fri Sep 01, 2017 3:54 am, edited 1 time in total.
James Jefferson Erwin house, 1905

Sashguy

Re: Texas members - Hurricane Harvey

Post by Sashguy »

I'm good. Thanks.
Attachments
IMG_3767.JPG
IMG_3767.JPG (33.27 KiB) Viewed 855 times

Sashguy

Post by Sashguy »

One interesting observation concerning the flooding on the Gulf Coast. For the most part, homes built prior to 1940 are fine. Built strong and high. I have to pump water out from under my two 1936's, but that's the extent of the damage. When the storm eased up a bit I took the high roads over to the sections that date back to 1855. Better still.

heartwood

Post by heartwood »

thanks for starting this thread and letting us know how pqex (jill?) is doing...glad to hear from you sashguy...
it's really a devastating event for so many...it'll be a long time before things are back to 'normal'...here's hoping that the very worst is behind folks and the healing begins...

...jade

TexasRed
Been here a good while

Post by TexasRed »

Sashguy wrote:I'm good. Thanks.
IMG_2972.JPG
IMG_2972.JPG (33.27 KiB) Viewed 837 times

LOL :lol: At least you still have your sense of humor Sashguy! Good to hear you're OK. Thanks for checking in.
Best wishes to all the victims of Harvey.

That is indeed fascinating - and true - about the older built homes fairing better. Jill's (pqtex) house was built in 1913 and it's high and dry despite the catastrophic flooding.
James Jefferson Erwin house, 1905

phil
Has many leather bound books

Post by phil »

I guess the older areas were built on high ground , it was they dykes that caused the issues. they caused the land to seem ok to build on.
we have a delta here too where they have dykes and for 100 years it was farmland , fine but then they built houses lots and lots of them.too many, ate up the valley farmland with it. the fear here is an earthquake and liquefaction could swallow everything. mine is older to and also on high ground. we have lots of mountains here I dont know why they want to build all the houses on the nice farmland but it's just urban sprawl I guess,, similar in a way and a bit scary.
glad to hear your place is going to be ok. the pic was funny but wow. Just being near all the damage and horror, You are making light of it.. Good on you for keeping your sense of humor

pqtex
Been here a while

Post by pqtex »

I was checking in to check on Sashguy after I read that the Heights had suffered a lot of flooding, and glad to see that he's okay, too...and still has a sense of humor!

I felt very safe in my 1913 house, and yes, even though Beaumont was pummeled by rain and we had massive flooding, my house was never in any danger. However, a number of family members and friends had (and still have) water up to the eaves of their homes. Devastating. My only damage was the loss of a very old, very large oak tree due to ground saturation. It was not near the house, so no damage.

There are family stories that my house was where family gathered to "ride out" the storms. And I can see why. The house was comfortable and sturdy. I was well prepared. Even with the water crisis (city water system failed), we were fine because I had filled all of my empty canning jars for drinking water, and other buckets for washing/bathing. Even after several days, we're still well stocked and have no need to get in water distribution lines. The only real crisis we had was when my husband ran out of bacon and chocolate. :-)

Jill

heartwood

Post by heartwood »

hi jill....so glad you've checked in! great to hear you've survived in good order...sorry about your family members and all the others who will be working their way out of this for years...such a tragedy...the chemical plans are of such concern now as fire is breaking out with plumes of smoke traveling long distances...

be safe and for goodness sake, go find some chocolate (vegetarian, no hope for the bacon)!
...jade

Sashguy

Post by Sashguy »

Great news Jill, knowing that the Triangle was torn up really bad, it's good to know that you came out intact.
Personally, I have mixed emotions about all of this. Yes, unimaginable damage everywhere, but the recovery sequence is perfect.
First off, while the rain was still coming down and the water still rising, everyone seems to have repaired their hearts. Now, we are all repairing the damage... together, and that makes it so much easier.
It's become the norm for people who didn't have damage to walk around looking for others to help. Amazing.

Corsetière
Knows where blueprints are hidden

Post by Corsetière »

I'm glad you all are ok!