Encaustic cement tiles

A place to hang out, chat and post general discussion topics. (Non-technical posts here)
Manalto
Inventor of Knob and Tube

Encaustic cement tiles

Post by Manalto »

If you've traveled in Latin America or the Mediterranean, you've seen the patterned tiles that are used in these frost-free areas. Usually, four tiles come together (not unlike a quilt) to create a pattern, and often they have a harmonizing border pattern with yet another border of solid-color tiles around the perimeter. A picture is worth a thousand words, so here is an example:

Imagebathroom-tile-floor-photos by James McInnis, on Flickr

These tiles are quite thick (~ 1/2") so the ultimate weight of the project must be taken into consideration.

Here is a gallery, from a modern-day manufacturer, of antique tile floors:

https://www.villalagoontile.com/gallery ... -tiles.php

This 3D pattern has been used since Roman times:

Imagegeo-2-restaurant-bar-tile-floor 3D by James McInnis, on Flickr

I was startled when I saw the area code for this company; as it turns out, they're spitting distance from me in Alabama. I'm sorely tempted. I particularly like this one:

Imagecaprice-spice-cement-tile-single-900 by James McInnis, on Flickr

Which looks like this, when laid:

Imagecaprice-spice-cement-tile-7x5-700 by James McInnis, on Flickr

Gothichome

Re: Encaustic cement tiles

Post by Gothichome »

OOoooooo, I like that last tile arrangement.

Manalto

Post by Manalto »

I forgot to mention the size. The tiles are 8" so they wouldn't be the correct scale for a small space, such as a vestibule.

Texas_Ranger
Knows where blueprints are hidden

Post by Texas_Ranger »

I love the style but I don't think I'd go with cement from what I've read! The originals (at least those used in central Europe) were ceramic and very durable but cement stains easily and gets damaged by any kind of acid, including some cleaners. I think even spilling vinegar in the kitchen could cause issues.

The first pattern is something you're very likely to find in ca.-1900 Vienna bathrooms and kitchens, although those often had octogon tiles with separate squares, either black or blue, rarely red or green. A German company produces accurate ceramic reproduction but they set you back roughly $1000 for a kitchen floor.

Manalto

Post by Manalto »

Too bad about their durability. They do mention the need to seal the tiles.

I wonder what they used in the Caribbean. Those floors have held up reasonably well for over 70 years, some of them outdoors and definitely not pampered.

Willa
Revered expert in almost everything

Post by Willa »

Encaustic tiles are also very common in British homes - usually in the foyer and sometimes main floor hall. They tend to be considerably smaller. Often the tiles are squares or 1/2 squares, cut on the diagonal. The arrangement and variations in arrangement make me think of quilting patterns. I used to look at a UK salvage site that had loads, but the cost of shipping to North America was cost prohibitive, at least for me.

There also Mexican encaustic tiles, though those are more commonly referred to as cement tiles. I also saw some fake encaustic tiles at a tile place recently that were printed (v.s. coloured clay that goes all the way through).

There was a US manufacturer of the British style tiles in North Carolina ? Virginia ? They seemed quite pricey as their main clients seemed to be churches and huge state buildings, when I inquired.

The old ones seem pretty indestructible. They can be stripped of paint and wax and look good as new.No clue about the newer ones, though ?

chiswick-tile-alteration-one.jpg
chiswick-tile-alteration-one.jpg (36.88 KiB) Viewed 938 times

chiswick-tile-alteration-three.jpg
chiswick-tile-alteration-three.jpg (73.26 KiB) Viewed 938 times

Place that does restoration with a couple of before and afters:

http://www.mintonfloorrestoration.co.uk/gallery

Willa
Revered expert in almost everything

Post by Willa »

More info about the care of encaustic tiles, as well as the production method for multicoloured patterns:

https://www.periodliving.co.uk/advice/maintaining-old-clay-floor-tiles/

The cement tiles may have different care that is needed ? That is a UK site. They also have an article about caring for unglazed terracotta tiles. The secret for that was several coats of boiled linseed oil, applied in a warm room, and buffed off after being allowed to stand overnight. A couple of coats = waterproof tiles.

Manalto

Post by Manalto »

Thanks, Willa. Interesting information. My take-away is "don't think you can just put any finish on these floors; research carefully before you proceed." (But we knew that :angel: )

The beauty of these floors is well worth the extra effort to maintain them.

oaktree
Forgotten more than most know

Post by oaktree »

Marmoleum (linoleum) tiles might be another option you'd like. Linoleum has been used in homes since ~1860s and the patterns and linoleum rugs were very colorful. I have Marmoleum floors in the areas where there I didn't have any wood, and I love it. You can either buy the premade Marmoleum tiles or have the material cut into all kinds of fancy patterns.

http://www.forbo.com/flooring/en-gl/products/linoleum/cmlack
1862 Greek Revival Farmhouse, Michigan

Manalto

Post by Manalto »

This cement tile post is more an FYI rather than something I'm intending to do. Tiles that are half an inch thick would require modifications just about anywhere, I would imagine. I love the idea of a linoleum product for the floor. It's the only material that feels As Good Under Foot as wood. Not sure why my phone capitalized those words in the previous sentence. Maybe it thinks it was a Jack Nicholson movie.