Hutch compatible with Craftsman style

A place to hang out, chat and post general discussion topics. (Non-technical posts here)
Willa
Revered expert in almost everything

Re: Hutch compatible with Craftsman style

Post by Willa »

Manalto wrote:
ETA - except - the lower section has to be a decent work height.

If it isn't tall enough change the legs or build a plinth base to put it on. This can add space for a toe kick, which makes that more comfortable, too.

Manalto
Inventor of Knob and Tube

Post by Manalto »

I hadn't considered this aspect either - most lower sections of hutches are unacceptable 'as-is' for a work space. Being low to the floor may look good when the cabinet is on display in a dining room, but if you're moving around and using the top for a work surface, you want that toe kick.

Build a plinth? Thertainly!

phil
Has many leather bound books

Post by phil »

just watch for wavy glass on those things. If they have glass it should be wavy and that will quickly separate out he repros, Usually if you just look at the reflection on posted ads you can see if the reflection is distorted or not.

If you view in person pull out a drawer and flip it over. note how the bottom is held in and also if it has dovetail joints or not. If it's older it would be solid wood not plywood and if you see particleboard and staples and no dovetails leave it there.

I'd check if there is a local antiques auction, if there is there may be a lot that dont' get to Craigslist. If you can talk to the auctioneer ask because likely there are a few furniture dealers or restorers that frequent these auctions, and they may have their own stashes of antiques. some of these guys fill barns and commercial spaces. If you watch an auction observe the guys that are buying a lot , you know they are dealers if they buy half the auction. Yea they will want their cut but it might open up some possibilities. anything you find in an antique store will be about double the auction hammer price. watching some real auctions will help give you up to date value and you should be able to pay close to that, not the antique store price.

the other people to talk to are professional furniture refinishers, again they will frequent the auctions and look for deals where they can make a buck by restoring and re-selling and they may be sitting on more than you realize or at least know who to ask.

for antique stores tables and chairs and stuff like this has to be overpriced because it takes a large portion of their store space so they normally won't have too many multiples unless they have a huge store.

I like the first one Lily posted ,It appears to roll out to get to the countertop, that's pretty neat..

I find the name funny and want to say hoosier daddy ;-)

Manalto

Post by Manalto »

"Hoosier Daddy" - ha, ha... I get it. Must get a lot of play in Indiana personal ads.

That mantra of THD, 'live in it a while before you decide' keeps haunting me, so I came up with an interim solution:

ImageHutch by James McInnis, on Flickr

One disadvantage of internet forums as opposed to live gatherings is I don't get to enjoy your expressions when you see the hutch I've chosen. I do need something there so the kitchen is functional but don't want to make an expensive mistake. The floor needs to be redone so it's too soon to make a permanent decision. This hutch is one of the tallest I've found, and it almost fills the space width-wise. The seller is asking $20.

A couple of questions, if I may - What's that rack mounted on the wall at the back of the shelf?

I'd like to sandwich some material between the base and the top, even though this is just a cheapo temporary solution, it would be nice to have a work surface that is waterproof and can be easily cleaned. The enamel finish of a stove (or Hoosier!) would be ideal, but how? I think glass would be unpleasant as a work surface. Any suggestions?

Willa
Revered expert in almost everything

Post by Willa »

Manalto wrote:A couple of questions, if I may - What's that rack mounted on the wall at the back of the shelf?

That is where you are supposed to hang your souvenir spoon collection. Not joking.

oaktree
Forgotten more than most know

Post by oaktree »

Willa wrote:
Manalto wrote:A couple of questions, if I may - What's that rack mounted on the wall at the back of the shelf?

That is where you are supposed to hang your souvenir spoon collection. Not joking.

I also immediately thought of collectible spoons.
1862 Greek Revival Farmhouse, Michigan

TexasRed
Been here a good while

Post by TexasRed »

Manalto

Great find! The price and dimensions make it "the perfect hutch for now". Since it isn't a fine antique you can be guilt free modifying it. ;-)

Several ideas come to mind for your countertop work surface. Tile; large or small. Or a piece of formica with the old fashioned metal edge band could help it blend into the era of your kitchen.

I also remember someone here in the district using sheets of zinc to have their countertops wrapped. Their roofer was able to get the material fairly inexpensively and the look was quite fitting in a modern old kitchen. It reminded me of the metal work surface on hoosier cabinets.

None of these materials should cost much for that piece. Keep us posted on the progress :popcorn:

P.S. 3rd vote for the collectible spoon rack at the back of the cabinet.
James Jefferson Erwin house, 1905

Manalto

Post by Manalto »

Finally, a place to show off my fabulous souvenir spoon collection! :wtf:

Thanks for the work-surface suggestions. I hadn't thought of tile and have some already that would be good for the job (ceramic with glossy finish). Zinc and formica are viable possibilities too. Thanks also to all who provided insights on what would work best in this space. Features I hadn't considered were mentioned which will make the functional piece more functional. At which time my cherished spoons must needs be relegated to the vitrine in the drawing room.

Gothichome

Post by Gothichome »

Manalto, how can you go wrong at twenty bucks. Now a proper antique spoon wrack for you precious spoon collect would be twice that. And in the end you have thirty bucks worth of fire wood for your twenty. :lolno:

Manalto

Post by Manalto »

If only - it's pine. But, it is Thomasville (1972) and reasonably well made. I went to pick it up today and asked the woman selling it if she'd accept $15. I wish I had a photo of her expression. When I laughed and told her I was just kidding, she told me she had dropped the price twice. (It isn't a particularly hot furniture style these days.) I had thought her $20 price tag was a way to get it out of the house without attracting those flakes who respond to ads for free items and then never show up.

It doesn't really need anything except a good cleaning, a new liner for the silverware drawer and the aforementioned waterproof top. It'll work just fine until I find something nice - and then I'll sell it for $50. Now, where did I put those spoons?