Hutch compatible with Craftsman style

A place to hang out, chat and post general discussion topics. (Non-technical posts here)
phil
Has many leather bound books

Re: Hutch compatible with Craftsman style

Post by phil »

I came home with a spoon collection from the auction.. I didnt' pay much but then what the heck do I need them for? I went through with a magnet, maybe some are brass but I found I couldn't stick a magnet to a lot of them so maybe they have some silver content? maybe I can sneak some into the kids candy bags at halloween lol ;-)

Manalto
Inventor of Knob and Tube

Post by Manalto »

I'll probably put plastic spoons in my rack because I don't like using them but it's nice to have one handy when you need it for toxic materials or if you'd rather not leave the house with the sterling. :roll:

I found a piece of Durcon on Craigslist that's the right size for the waterproof countertop I want to sandwich between the top and bottom sections of the hutch. Durcon is an epoxy material that's used for science laboratory work surfaces, so household spills are not a concern. It's expensive when purchased from a laboratory supplier, but this Craigslist seller claims his countertops are new, (leftovers from an installation?) and the price is OK.Color is dark gray.

Manalto

Post by Manalto »

I happened upon this hutch today. I like the Jacobean style very much.

https://newhaven.craigslist.org/atd/d/j ... 30613.html

Willa
Revered expert in almost everything

Post by Willa »

But won't your $ 25.00 hutch get jealous ?

Manalto

Post by Manalto »

LOL - it was only $20 (plus gas). This one might be nice in the dining room.

Manalto

Post by Manalto »

Here's another hutch that caught my eye. I know it's not Craftsman style and I generally shy away from ornate stuff, but I like it.

Do you think it's compatible or is it too ornate?

Also, it's listed as a "Henry Ford breakfront." Anyone know what the seller means?

phil

Post by phil »

did you find your spoons? ;-)
One thing I always thin k about with these hutches and modern kitchens. the glass windows look nice if you are one to stack all your pretty dishes nice and neatly. If that's where you keep your corn flakes, spam, and dog food, not so much.

Manalto

Post by Manalto »

It's for the dining room, so it'll be foin choina.

(and Spam, of course)

phil

Post by phil »

I think the jacobean hutch is really nice. I suspect the "carvings" are repwood. Its easy to be fooled by pics as some modern stuff is quite well copied. If you take out a drawer and flip it you can usually tell right away.
If you look at the joinery in the corners of the drawer, take note if it has dovetail joints in the corners of the drawers. then look at the back of the drawers. New repro stuff might use dovetails at the front and not the back. if you look closer, take note if the dovetails are all the same size. If they are cut by hand you'll see some hand made differences and if it is cut by machine you'll see they are more perfect in fit and in size as compoared to the hand cut dovetails. There is also a custom that cabinetmakers left behind their scribe marks that mark the depth of the dovetails so that might be a further indication it is hand made. you'll also be able to see the darkness of the wood on the underside of drawers and if something is repro you'll probably notice right away that the drawers look new and the wood isn't aged on the bottom. in higher end stuff you might find dust boards. they separate the drawers so that if stuff sticks up the drawers don't get stuck. You don't see too many pieces with these dust boards.

I would have absolutely no issue mixing styles. It adds interest and if you really love a piece who cares if it's the exact age of the house unless its a museum. even if it were a museum, at any point in history a house would have furniture that could be much older.

I'm helping someone move and came across a piece that I thought was old at first I thought WOW! but it turns out it is just a really good reproduction. At first glance it can be hard to tell so before I went to a lot of traveling or making of offers I'd ask that they flip a drawer over and send a pic of the bottom. I think that piece is old and genuine to it's era but I could be wrong. Id also say it is machine made because to make a one off of something that ornate would take a lot of labor.

aside from antiques falling out of fashion, Id also say that newer buildings often don't support the use of some antiques like the really giant hutches or wardrobes so sometimes you might have an advantage in having a house that fits the furniture, especially if you have high ceilings.

just last week I came out of a thrift and started talking to a man who had bought a dresser. he had it loaded in his sports car. he thought it was super old and I had him do that , pull a drawer and flip it. right away I could see it had a center drawer guide and to me it dated to the 70's or something.which I wouldn't consider antique. It was an ok piece but he paid something like 60 for it and I got the impression he was kind of fooled as the piece looked older at first glance. It wasn't misrepresented as the thrift just priced it and sold it.

I love barely twist stuff. its pretty easy to match with other barley twoist things, maybe it spans some different eras. Ive got one gate leg table and it took me a while to notice that some of the legs are turned clockwise and others are counter clockwise.. Im sure its hand made because it has all these minor differences in dimension. the top has big knots in it that were filled. I bought it about 25 years ago from a little old lady and she said she had really cherished it for a long time. I think it was 200 then so not cheap.

I discussed with my dad who was an old furniture maker and he pointed out the knots and said it was likely made by someone who had a lot of skills but also remarked that they didn't mind the knots We got to thinking about weather the maker chose the boards for that or perhaps he just had a lot of skills but not much money for better wood.

a lot of that old oak stuff was 1/4 sawn oak that was fumed with ammonia to darken it and give it that certain look. If its refinished it destroys that original look and not many would re-fume a piece. .. that piece could well be original, If you buy old oak furniture its nicer if it has the original fumed finish.. I kind of think that one does but its hard to tell really. . if its a stain you may see where the stain was wiped, like maybe near edges of drawers and such. Of course fuming won't produce wipe marks, or overspray like a stain may. I don't think the glass is wavy glass judging by the reflection of the white kitchen cupboards.