Hutch compatible with Craftsman style

A place to hang out, chat and post general discussion topics. (Non-technical posts here)
Manalto
Inventor of Knob and Tube

Hutch compatible with Craftsman style

Post by Manalto »

There's a niche in my serving pantry that is supposed to have a counter with cabinets underneath and glass-window-enclosed shelves above. The head of the historical society, who visited my house a couple of weeks ago, wants me to hire a carpenter to build the aforementioned cabinetry according to the 100 year-old plans she has in her possession. While that's a nice idea in theory, I think a more expedient solution would be to find a hutch that will fit in the space. I'd need one with a gap between the top and bottom to set things down on their way to and from the dining room. One hutch on Craigslist fit (I have 63" width maximum) and appealed to me but the seller hasn't responded to my emails. (I'm guessing sold or moved.) I don't care for the overtly colonial style with the 'shield' hardware (although hardware can be changed) which is what 90% of hutches are here in Southern New England. I found this one; what do you think? Will it blend in a Craftsman-style house? I don't want to be rigid about it, I'd just like harmony, and my interior design skills are weak.

https://westernmass.craigslist.org/fuo/ ... 53466.html

Willa
Revered expert in almost everything

Re: Hutch compatible with Craftsman style

Post by Willa »

That hutch looks to be 70's or 80's. While you "could" fiddle around with it to make it fit and better conform design-wise I think you'll be happier to hold out for something that is more period appropriate. You'd pay about the same, too. You might find something in the area closest to your house, from a house of similar design/age, too.

01010_gznQyUpWGbp_600x450.jpg
01010_gznQyUpWGbp_600x450.jpg (13.74 KiB) Viewed 939 times

Manalto

Post by Manalto »

Willa wrote:You might find something in the area closest to your house, from a house of similar design/age, too.

From a year of perusing Craigslist, I think that's unlikely. But, ya never know!

I was thinking that if I just removed that frou-frou jigsaw-cut ornamentation at the top of the opening, it might work. I'm a sucker for leaded glass. Those 70-80s stains were drab though, weren't they?
Last edited by Manalto on Thu Aug 17, 2017 9:51 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Willa

Post by Willa »

Sometimes it helps when you broaden search terms.

Often people really don't know what they have so a 150 year old thing might be described as "vintage" or "french provincial" while a 30 year old thing is an "antique". Try searching cabinets, cupboards, storage, kitchen, etc. + vintage, old, antique.

Of course the demographics of where you are looking will influence what you find. If the area was renovation mad, then there may be little to be found. If people were very frugal and kept houses intact but reno'd around the cabinets then they may be scarce. Check local demolition and salvage places, too.

Manalto

Post by Manalto »

I've been flexible about search terms, even to the point of trying misspellings. ("Cubberd" produced one interesting result.) Someone recently told me that antiques have plunged in price and stores are closing because millennials, in general, have no interest. I've found this to be true, and have seen beautiful 150 year-old pieces going for a song.

The demographics here are to my advantage. Coastal Connecticut is affluent, (not like here, where folks park backhoes on their front lawns - if they've got a lawn) so I'm keeping an eye on those listings too.

Thanks, by the way, for posting the picture, rather than the link, as I'd had it. I don't know how to do that without cyber-acrobatics.

Willa

Post by Willa »

The hutch has classic lines, but the finish looks so wrong. If you replaced the lower doors, replaced the hardware, and gave it a few coats of paint it would look like a folksy 1870's - 1900 kitchen type hutch. Whatever is going on with the upper doors is strange, with the leaded glass plus the scrolled panel at the bottom ?

I had a very nice Ethan Allen catalog from 1976 but I gave it away. There were many items that were direct reproductions of antiques, but also many with the strange design perversions of the day, like those "colonial" couches with plaid upholstery. Also lots of Bicentennial decor and things like ROYAL BLUE FURNITURE on very REDREDRED carpet that no one would dare today. All mixed up with the 1970's, aimed at a more affluent consumer.

01616_a9mvkQw5SBx_1200x900.jpg
01616_a9mvkQw5SBx_1200x900.jpg (74.43 KiB) Viewed 926 times

Here is a similar old hutch, painted:

2018rivermont3.jpg
2018rivermont3.jpg (14.69 KiB) Viewed 926 times

Gothichome

Post by Gothichome »

Manalto, what you've been told and observed, antique furniture is not in vogue, good solid antiques can be had for a song. I too think you can do better by holding on. Buy it rite and buy it once.

Manalto

Post by Manalto »

Willa wrote:Whatever is going on with the upper doors is strange, with the leaded glass plus the scrolled panel at the bottom ?

Ain't that the truth! And the lightened stain in the center of each panel, repeated in the equally strange doors at the bottom, with two (rather than just one) 'linenfold' patterns and that scroll motif. What was I thinking?

Gothichome wrote:Buy it rite and buy it once.

You're right. New ones show up every day. I'll wait.

Willa

Post by Willa »

Here's some vintage Ethan Allen for your consideration, if you start having second thoughts :

bicentennial-chic-ethan-allen-9-500x576.jpg
bicentennial-chic-ethan-allen-9-500x576.jpg (72.49 KiB) Viewed 906 times

69a002b06f59c59cac30394d2d0e156f.jpg
69a002b06f59c59cac30394d2d0e156f.jpg (115.71 KiB) Viewed 906 times

e8c4d79ab0dc84c0badcbb62d32706b8--s-decor-vintage-furniture.jpg
e8c4d79ab0dc84c0badcbb62d32706b8--s-decor-vintage-furniture.jpg (129.06 KiB) Viewed 906 times

Manalto

Post by Manalto »

Now I know who to blame for the fact that everyone's afraid of color these days. Scary.