Retro

A place to hang out, chat and post general discussion topics. (Non-technical posts here)
phil
Has many leather bound books

Re: Retro

Post by phil »

yea I admit and regret the link. It really was in bad taste.... I just always see a lot of silly email and things showing the wallmart customers. Here they let RV's park in their lot so they become a bit like a gypsy town. maybe that's why they seem to get so many sketchy looking customers. Here in the city I don't notice it so much but you cant' park RV's there because it's an underground parkade type lot.

they got all over the news recently because they throw out so much food that is not even outdated meanwhile there are a lot of homeless who could use a free meal.. a lot of it is like oranges or stuff that isn't even really near the best before date and not dangerous.. so they got a lot of media pressure from people that think they should donate that food to the food banks. Corporate greed.

A lot of the other supermarkets do send their day old bread and things to help the needy.. that makes sense. I'm sure they can sign a waiver to make sure they aren't liable. I dont; think you can easily get sick eating an orange without knowing it's mushy or bad in some way for example. I can understand that they dont;want to sell "iffy" food but from what I have seen a lot of the food like muffins and cakes and things are pretty poor quality even when it is fresh.. ..If it's a bottle of heinz ketchup or a can of WD40 it's the exact same thing you'd get elsewhere. If I want windshield washer antifreeze I'm going to go where its the cheapest. Ive been watching coffee, It is way cheaper there for the same Melita brand I like.. about 12 bucks but it varies sometimes lower. By comparison I see it at 18 bucks and sometimes more per can at other places.. of course it's only on the shelf about 20 % of the time... what a racket. other common brands like folgers, nabob etc seem to have really gone downhill...

Manalto
Inventor of Knob and Tube

Post by Manalto »

I wonder who the target market is for those yellow bicycles. People who were children when that style was popular are in their 60s now, so I can't imagine they're going for nostalgia sales. I rarely see anyone on a bicycle anymore; I wore a couple of them out when I was a kid.

phil

Post by phil »

here it's illegal in most places to ride them on the sidewalk so they go on the road with all the traffic. and they have to wear a helmet. It's insane and so dangerous! as soon as the light turns green they all hug the side of the curb lane and cars pass them and get aggravated because they are in the way. some of the real athletes try to ride as fast as the cars but of course they really can't and then the people in cars get upset and close the clearance. then what happens is people go to drop off a passenger or get out on the driver's side and they open the car door and whammo..

As soon as the lights go red they pass the cars along the curb. at lights they switch to being pedestrians and use crosswalks.
I like how they do it in Europe , divide the sidewalk so part is for bicycles. No one ever bothered us as kids for riding on the sidewalk and I don't remember too many issues. we rode on city streets too but we didnt' try going into rush hour traffic with the cars.. It's the green alternative and many stay in shape..good for them, but it is a horrible system to allow them on the roads.

awomanwithahammer
Knows where blueprints are hidden

Post by awomanwithahammer »

We are avid bicyclists...at least, my husband is, and I like it. In Tennessee, there is a 3-foot rule after a bicyclist was killed by a driver who swerved into him. Motorists are required to give bicyclists a 3-foot clearance. Bicycles are allowed on the streets but may also use sidewalks and greenways. But you're damned if you do and damned if you don't, because the motorists get mad if you use the streets and the pedestrians get mad if you use the sidewalks and greenways. We have some very aggressive drivers, and one swerved deliberately toward my husband as if he were going to hit him. Don't get me really started, because I can go on and on.
Bonnie

phil

Post by phil »

here the police dont; police anything like aggressive driving. what they do is hide behind bushes and peg off anyone without a seatbelt or anyone with a cell phone and give them huge fines but in all my life I've never seen a cop hand out a ticket for not signalling for a lane change or crazy erratic driving. Its because it's way more productive to hide behind trees than it is to chase people down for infractions. they do speeding tickets , tis the same thing , they hide behind a bush and hand them out left and right.. everyone speeds so they can ticket every car if they want. People get mad if you don't speed they will tailgate and honk and go crazy trying to get around you. a lot of the entrances to bridges have lanes that end so instead of having a place for the two lanes some wait while others take the curb lane as far as possible and cut in athtrelast moment. , If you are in the line that is waiting you have to tailgate aggressively or if you don't people will pass you can cut in front of you. Its almost as if the aggressive habits are encouraged. there is only one place I know of , on one end of the lions gate bridge , there is a sign that says merge alternately.. and it works perfectly. Its really strange.

at lights on a two way street if a car signals to turn left, there will be a steady stream of cars that just pass him. if there is a car in the opposing lane the law says the two can turn left at the same time but because the cars are whipping by the other car making the left he has to wait. If there is an accident well you can't pass someone turning left on a one lane street but the roads are wide enough that it becomes so normal that I don't even think most drivers know that.

I remember driving in other places like Ohio and everyone seemed so courteous and non aggressive, they probably do give out traffic tickets there but here they really don't do it.
its not really that the police profit because the proceeds of tickets go into the crown or general revenue so it isn't about making quotas exactly.

we are getting more bicycle routs , that's a step in the right direction but I don't understand why traffic laws arent' really enforced. Ive asked cops and they dont; really answer , they just say well we dont; have time.. it's weird.. It wasnt; always this way but the city expanded so quickly with so many foreign drivers it's dangerous..

I got a ticket on the freeway for impeding traffic while I was speeding.. I had a driver behind that was mad but my car wasnt' that fast and I was passsing a row of semi's I was going about 20 K above the limit.. I could sense he was furious and decided to take an exit. he sped ahead of me and stopped trying to block me on the exit ramp and got out of his car and started walking back to my car.. I backed up making him walk further from his car then drove around him.. I admitted to speeding and told the cop I'd see him in court and ask how fast I needed to be going to be allowed to use the left lane.. he called me in the evening and said if I rip up my copy of the ticket he will do the same. Over time you learn to drive aggressively.. so Ill do things like speed up and slow down and speed up for tailgaters but i do it just enough to piss them off so they pass and not enough that they really notice. or if someone is turning left Ill hug the curb and stop so others don't pass me and go around him.

Now we are starting to get new cars that stop automatically if you cut them off.. that's going to be fun because you get to know what cars have that feature and the drivers can't do anything but stop if you cut them off, they don't even have a choice not to. Their car will stop without them even touching the brakes. So what happens is people are learning which cars you can safely cut off. I think they are even starting to make it mandatory on new cars. Its going to be a weird game. maybe bicycles will be able to do that to cars as they will stop for bicycles too.. It takes some courage to do that but the new safety systems are predictable.

its going to morph into self driving cars that we don't own.. I'm noticing massive numbers of Evo Modo maybe some are car-to-go you can pick one up drive it to where you want and get out then others can see where it is via satellite tracking programs.. then they just take it. I think you can reserve them but if you do the rental clock keeps ticking until you make it available. the numbers of them are increasing really rapidly. there is pretty much one on every block of a typical residential street. I think you have to stay within a certain area. they probably turn off if you go outside the areas they are allowed to be in.

http://www.modo.coop/
https://www.car2go.com/
https://www.evo.ca/

Olson185
Been here a good while

Post by Olson185 »

Manalto wrote:
vvzz wrote:
Olson185 wrote:As a non-native speaker I don't even understand how you guys learn this stuff as kids. It doesn't me surprise people can't spell. There's no rhyme or reason to how most words are spelled(at least not practically applicable) It's complete madness.

You might even say weird.
[pic of mug removed]

It's also weird how it looks like that's my quote above. I'm not the "non-native speaker".
~James

Fourth generation in a family of artists, engineers, architects, woodworkers, and metalworkers. Mine is a family of Viking craftsmen. What we can't create, we pillage, and there's nothing we can't create. But, sometimes, we pillage anyway.

Manalto

Post by Manalto »

Misplaced modifier.

Olson185 wrote:It doesn't me surprise people can't spell.

Your use of the reflexive is quite Spanish, too. ¡Olé!

Olson185
Been here a good while

Post by Olson185 »

Manalto wrote:Misplaced modifier.

Olson185 wrote:It doesn't me surprise people can't spell.

Your use of the reflexive is quite Spanish, too. ¡Olé!

Not my quote.
~James

Fourth generation in a family of artists, engineers, architects, woodworkers, and metalworkers. Mine is a family of Viking craftsmen. What we can't create, we pillage, and there's nothing we can't create. But, sometimes, we pillage anyway.

Manalto

Post by Manalto »

There's an identity thief in the house.

Powermuffin
Forgotten more than most know

Post by Powermuffin »

So my biggest problem with news shows, television or radio, is the use of "So" at the opening of a sentence. This is everywhere now, just like "like" was/is so overused.