Old home collective

A place to hang out, chat and post general discussion topics. (Non-technical posts here)
awomanwithahammer
Knows where blueprints are hidden

Re: Old home collective

Post by awomanwithahammer »

Come and get it!
Bonnie

phil
Has many leather bound books

Post by phil »

one thing they do near here is have an organized tour of old houses, so you can put yours on and have strangers come through, they take off their shoes and do a walk through. they can cordon of bedrooms and such for privacy and security.
this brings people together. another thing they do is organize a spring garage sale weekend and many participate within a relatively small area.
although this isn't quite like a tool or material exchange it does cause a lot of people to buy and sell and trade as many pick up materials, doors, special tools and such and pass them along and encourage each other. Its a walking tour followed up by a lunch and the price of tickets cover the cost. a lot of these people have entered the heritage designation as well.

also it is easy to buy and sell with craigslist. for example last weekend I sold a jig to make barley twists with a router. i had the thing 5 years, never used it , decided to pass it along and got my 50 bucks back. had a nice conversation with the new owner. it was an old craftsman jig and kind of rare especially now with sears sliding off the grid , for tools anyway. I think that's a good way to go with the scaffolding , that way it's your baby if you spill paint all over it and such, or keep it longer than anticipated. I borrowed a rolling scaffold to do my ceiling, it was all covered in paint and mud so I spent a couple hours and cleaned it up and gave it back nicer than I got it and we were both happy.

Willa
Revered expert in almost everything

Post by Willa »

Longer video about actually starting a tool library:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c7TZfxkqOlY

Shorter video that explains about how the Toronto toolLibrary was started, and functions:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zPw3KzrGLCA&t=30s

They have branched out and also have lending libraries for things like camping equipment, kitchen appliances and board games.

Since members are somewhat spread out here, the logistics are challenging, but why not start a group in your local community ?

Gothichome

Post by Gothichome »

Willa, yes most definitely a local operation.