worth $15?

A place to hang out, chat and post general discussion topics. (Non-technical posts here)
Lily left the valley
Inventor of Knob and Tube

worth $15?

Post by Lily left the valley »

A while ago, I first saw this come up on our local CL.

It's since dropped in price, and I finally noted down the measurements and then went and measured the size of our sump pit to see how they compared. Rather favorably, it turns out.

The cost of wood alone would likely be in the neighborhood if I bought new treated wood (dirt cellar), but it also has the slabs to prevent creep which seems to make it much more worthwhile. I'm guessing, based on the "vintage" claim in the ad text and from the photos, that the wood is older, and possibly treated back when against moisture too, but that could be a hopeful guess. I can't really tell from the image how old it might really be or if it has any signs of sealing.

I'd have to do a bit of wrangling to get it in place because of how our sump is hooked up to the waste line, but likely it'd still be less work than making it from scratch by far. (Hope I don't eat those words later.)

As our sump is within a few steps of the bottom of our stairs down to the basement, it would be a nice mental security against worrying someone might somehow trip or overstep into it at any point.

So what do you think? I'm asking because this wasn't something near the top of the priority list, but the price is making me think it can get a bump. My Floor Manager agreed it was, but I'm still really feeling budget cautious lately. I know, I know, $15! How can this go wrong? I could also use it as a base for something else cellar workshop related at worst, right?

Your :twocents-twocents:, please
--Proud member of the Industrious Cheapskate Club
--Currently pondering ways to encourage thoughtful restovation and discourage mindless renovation.

awomanwithahammer
Knows where blueprints are hidden

Re: worth $15?

Post by awomanwithahammer »

Not having any experience with sump pumps, I can't really weigh on its use for that, but I'm always optimistic that I can find at least some sort of use for just about anything! And $15 doesn't seem like a budget buster, but I'm having to rein in my CL urges, too, since I'm no longer bringing in an income, and having a harder time justifying any purchase that I can't see an immediate use for. That said, are you going to regret NOT having bought it?
Bonnie

1918ColonialRevival
Knows where blueprints are hidden

Post by 1918ColonialRevival »

My rule is this - if I see something I think I will probably need down the road and the price is reasonable, I get it. Case in point - I salvaged an early 1920s shower for my basement last year. It will be at least another year or two before I can even begin to think about the basement bathroom, but I knew I likely wouldn't find another when I was "ready", especially for next to nothing.

Just the wood to build something like this will run more than $15. As long as it meets your needs and it isn't rotted, go for it. If you feel guilty spending another $15, eat out one less time this month in its place!

Sow's Ear Mal
Stalwart

Post by Sow's Ear Mal »

It's 15 bucks. Don't sweat it. ;)

raine
Settling in

Post by raine »

I would not use any wood in your cellar as it is a wet one confirmed by your needing a sump. Any wood would hold moisture, mold, smell, rot. Get some cheap patio block (.99 per) to form a cover.

Olson185
Been here a good while

Post by Olson185 »

I'm not sure what we're looking at (as far as size). An 8' PT 2x4 is about $5 x 2 pcs = $10. Add 36 nails and the electricity to saw the wood....if two 2x4's could make this...it's not a good deal @ $15 (for a basement sump hole cover).

If one wanted to clean off the dirt and use it for a table top maybe...if the "vintage" had some ultra-intrinsic value (ie. wood showing stamped name of Co. that made it) or otherwise indicating its true "vintage" status (other than being an old wood grate from the 1940's or whatever). I think I'd pass on this one.
~James

Fourth generation in a family of artists, engineers, architects, woodworkers, and metalworkers. Mine is a family of Viking craftsmen. What we can't create, we pillage, and there's nothing we can't create. But, sometimes, we pillage anyway.

Jeepnstein
Been here a good while

Post by Jeepnstein »

I strongly prefer a solid cover over a sump pit rather than a grate. You don't want trash and dirt getting in the pit and eventually wrecking your pump. Sump pumps aren't built for moving dirt and solids.

Lily left the valley

Thanks everyone for all the advice. Folks hit on many different points, and I really appreciate that.

The open top nature was something I was on the fence about, and when Jeep brought that up, I thought more about what a mess the sump pit already is because of things that have fallen in prior. I've pulled out some of the bigger stuff, but vacuuming out the entire to get other bits is on the "before winter" list.

I also thought about how I'd prefer an easier to remove hatch style just in case we have a need to get in there quickly. Even with the work around I was considering to get the sewage pipe fitting properly, that would require major modification which doesn't make sense.

I may still get this for another purpose, but not any time soon. I'll keep an eye on it, and if it gets sold, so be it.
--Currently pondering ways to encourage thoughtful restovation and discourage mindless renovation.

phil
Has many leather bound books

Post by phil »

they look lke full dimension lumber I guess but they aren't too long and they have been sitting on dirt. careful you dont' bring in insect eggs that you dont' want that way. If I brought it in I'd soak it in preservative or something. i kind of agree that if you miss this one it wont' be regrettable. I'd be dropping things down there by accident but it wouldn't be so far wrong to buy it. bet if you offer five he'd not get another offer that's better. supply and demand. You can be sure no one "needs" it.

Lily left the valley

phil wrote:they look lke full dimension lumber I guess but they aren't too long and they have been sitting on dirt. careful you dont' bring in insect eggs that you dont' want that way. If I brought it in I'd soak it in preservative or something. i kind of agree that if you miss this one it wont' be regrettable. I'd be dropping things down there by accident but it wouldn't be so far wrong to buy it. bet if you offer five he'd not get another offer that's better. supply and demand. You can be sure no one "needs" it.
It's propped up on stone slab corners which come with it, Phil. I'd still look it over quite close though, and leave it in the garage for a bit if I was worried. We have a freebie storage piece in the garage right now, waiting for a cocoon to hatch.