Old deadbolt locks

A place to hang out, chat and post general discussion topics. (Non-technical posts here)
JacquieJet
Shakes a cane at new house owners

Old deadbolt locks

Post by JacquieJet »

My neighbour has the original deadbolt lock on her front door (so approx 80-90 years old), but has never had a key to it (they just lock it from the interior and then exit through the back door). Does anyone know if there is a way for her to acquire a key to the lock? I told her I would ask around and see if it was possible.
Thanks!
1917-ish
Happy 100th birthday, house!!

Manalto
Inventor of Knob and Tube

Re: Old deadbolt locks

Post by Manalto »

I'm pretty sure a locksmith can make a key. I was locked out of my studio/workshop and finally gave in and called a locksmith ($60). It took her about 20 seconds to pick the knob-lock. While we were chatting, she said she could make a new key for it. I don't remember the price, but it was cheap. I think they'd have to remove the lock from the door and bring it to the locksmith, but a phone call would provide the needed information.

JacquieJet

Post by JacquieJet »

Great! I'll pass the info along. Thanks, Manalto!
1917-ish

1918ColonialRevival
Knows where blueprints are hidden

Post by 1918ColonialRevival »

Yep - a good locksmith can make a key for just about any cylinder lock out there.

For security reasons, I'd consider replacing the lock cylinder with another from the same period. You never know how many copies of that key might be floating around out there. A locksmith company that has been in business a long time might even have some older cylinders lying around.

Some old cylinders can be re-keyed, so that might be another possibility.

JacquieJet

Post by JacquieJet »

Thank you, Colonial!
1917-ish

phil
Has many leather bound books

Post by phil »

Ive done it a couple times but not for a while but basicly I think if you have it unlocked you can get the cylinder out. once you get there if you can find a key that fits the hole stick it in. if you have a bunch of spoare keys find one that fits the best or try the key for the other lock if you want. then the tumblers will stick out of the cylinder unless you have the right key. You can rearrange the tumblers or you can file or use a dremil to trim any protruding ones, or you can file the key to adjust where they sit. once the key fits in such a way the tumblers dont' protrude from the barrel with the key in it will turn. so it is possible to DYI if you choose but do it in a tray so the little springs and stuff dont' fall on the floor never to be found. mine has a weird cut to the key and no one else has a copy. I like it like that because I can hand out keys but if I want to lock the door so key holders can't come through for some reason I can. but you might want it to be keyed the same. its also a second lock which makes doing the bump key thing more difficult. mine also has a button that is used to keep it unlocked. but I found if you move this button to the up position it can't be unlocked from outside even with the key. I think on mine the part with the key is actually pretty generic, its separate from the part with the bolt. If you remove the bolt part the key and tumblers stay attached to the door until you take that part out. so the locksmith might just provide a different one.
if you have an oddball key chances are that they won't be able to bump it so easily as they wont' have a blank that fits. sometimes people loose the tumblers or they wear out. the lock will function with 1 but the more there are the tougher it is to pick. I think a locksmith could change the tumblers and maybe make it fit more keys because you obviously cant' really add more metal to the tumblers easily. over time they might get sort of rounded out and be less secure. if you have time to fiddle with it you could try to open it up on the kitchen table and take pics as you go. I'm sure there are utube videos on this stuff if you are so inclined to do it yourself.

JacquieJet

Post by JacquieJet »

Thanks Phil. This is actually my neighbour's lock, not my own. I don't think she is much of a DIY-er. Still, I will pass on your info to her!
1917-ish

phil
Has many leather bound books

Post by phil »

Yea usually something for a locksmith but if you are cheap enough it's surprising what you can do ;-)

Texas_Ranger
Knows where blueprints are hidden

Post by Texas_Ranger »

Not sure if American (or very old) cylinders are built differently but current European cylinders only come out in a halfway position between open and locked so getting them out requires a key. A few years ago we got a free used front door (unlocked, obviously as it came without a frame) without a key and I had to drill out the cylinder to remove it. Now I know that I'd make a shitty burglar - I managed to turn the cylinder the required quarter turn but no more than that. Had the door been locked I'd have been out of luck.

SouthernLady
Forgotten more than most know

Post by SouthernLady »

From your description, JacquieJet, I believe I have a lock very similar to that on my kitchen door. As already stated, a locksmith can make you a key for that, and most likely rekey it as well.

One of my friends is a locksmith, and he was even able to make keys for all of my interior doors--with blank skeleton keys he had!