Greek Revival Porch

A place to hang out, chat and post general discussion topics. (Non-technical posts here)
oaktree
Forgotten more than most know

Re: Greek Revival Porch

Post by oaktree »

Mick_VT wrote:Another option, and given the size of the porch this may have been it's original configuration, would be to simply remove those columns, railings etc. The porch is not very big so likely was bare. I have a similar sized one on my house that had no columns or trimming when new either.

Either way this is going to really transform the look of your house, and for the better. that current porch is too fancy for the rest of the place and a distraction

An interesting point! I hope I can figure out what was there before when I take all the siding off. I agree my house is fairly plain, and I think simpler will be better!
1862 Greek Revival Farmhouse, Michigan

oaktree
Forgotten more than most know

Re: Greek Revival Porch

Post by oaktree »

phil wrote:its just a petty thing and I have the same issue but the downspout could match the house color and maybe blend in rather than contrasting like it's a "feature" My house is orange with white downspouts.. I'd like to paint them to match but things like that seem to stay low on the priority list.

maybe the existing windows could be embellished with casings, faux Mullions and maybe loose the shutters or find some that at least look like they could cover the window?

I'm total agreement about these colors. This is all going to go away eventually, and I'm hoping the original wooden siding is still there under the aluminum. I know that there was white wood siding because I can see it on the milk house where the aluminum siding wasn't installed as well. Eventually, I want it to be white wood with a metal roof. The only reason I haven't removed those ridiculous fake shutters is because then I'll have to fill in the holes in the siding. These types of Greek Revival farmhouses often had green shutters though I often see them without shutters. Sometimes they had eyebrows over the windows. I'm extremely curious about whether the house had corner panels and what the cornice returns (right term?) actually looked like. I hope I can tell when the siding comes off, but that's not going to be soon!

Worse than the colors is the nonfunctional chimney on the back of the house from an older furnace, which I also have to get rid of before doing anything else with the outside!

Someone made a nice blog post about other Greek Revival homes in a nearby county, and I've been meaning to start taking my own pictures of the ones that are near me. http://www.house-design-coffee.com/greek-revival-architecture-ann-arbor.html
1862 Greek Revival Farmhouse, Michigan