How do you force yourself to wait?

A place to hang out, chat and post general discussion topics. (Non-technical posts here)
Lily left the valley
Inventor of Knob and Tube

Re: How do you force yourself to wait?

Post by Lily left the valley »

I still haven't managed to take the stuff out of the lower cabinet to try to find a make on the mix/fixture. I even have a small piece of hardware waiting on the counter there for when I do. I think it's because I desperately want to take the hider panel out and sand it back down to the proper fit size. Seems it took some water at some point and doesn't fit nicely anymore.

So far, the plan of targeting a handful of projects, one of which is lots of easy to break down into smaller scale bits (emptying boxes), has been helping loads. The fire still smoulders, just waiting for the right breeze, but so far, so good. No more siding removed. :D

Of course, the top of the list got derailed, but we're rolling with it.

I still have overlap in projects, partly due to weather and trying to take advantage when it's sunny or not.

I definitely know that gratification lean. I also worry about neighbors, in the front yard especially--that's my excuse and I'm sticking to it!

I also like taking my early eve stroll around Beebe with my watering can in hand, hitting the transplants and a few others when needed.
--Proud member of the Industrious Cheapskate Club
--Currently pondering ways to encourage thoughtful restovation and discourage mindless renovation.

Willa
Revered expert in almost everything

Post by Willa »

Lily left the valley wrote:
I definitely know that gratification lean. I also worry about neighbors, in the front yard especially--that's my excuse and I'm sticking to it!

Keeping the neighbors happy is an important consideration. It helps to reassure them that you are responsible adults. A house with a history of deferred maintenance and/or bad tenants that is suddenly cared for makes the whole street breathe a sigh of relief. Even a few flowers in the front and a freshly painted front door helps with this perception.

Lily left the valley
Inventor of Knob and Tube

Post by Lily left the valley »

Willa wrote:
Lily left the valley wrote:

Keeping the neighbors happy is an important consideration. It helps to reassure them that you are responsible adults. A house with a history of deferred maintenance and/or bad tenants that is suddenly cared for makes the whole street breathe a sigh of relief. Even a few flowers in the front and a freshly painted front door helps with this perception.
Oh! That reminds me. I found a packet of Sunflower seeds. Still no idea where the other seeds are. I planted a few here and there around the front, and two on the side against the fence where the mid to late sun will hit them well. Still need to finish clearing the garage bed before I can plant some there as my Floor Manager and I had discussed. I tried to mulch over a bit where I planted, so we'll see if the birds ferret them out or not.
--Proud member of the Industrious Cheapskate Club
--Currently pondering ways to encourage thoughtful restovation and discourage mindless renovation.

awomanwithahammer
Knows where blueprints are hidden

Post by awomanwithahammer »

I've mentioned my ADD before. It leads me to see something that I want to do NOW, which distracts me from what I was already doing--squirrel!--which is how I ended up pulling up all the tile from the hearth to see what was underneath, which was the original tile but the new tile was very well mortared so I lost both the new tile and the original tile and had to pull it all out and while I'm doing that I might as well strip the paint off the fireplace and the heat gun is my new BFF so I think I'll go ahead and strip all the trim as I go along...

I ALWAYS have multiple projects going at the same time. It drives my husband crazy; he has a one-track mind and can't even THINK about beginning another project until his current one is completed. It took him years to learn that although my methods may seem haphazard, I (almost) always finish my projects. Eventually.

My point is that I tend to plunge in without a lot of thought as to the consequences. However, I don't live in my project houses, so the messes don't cause me daily grief, just a few sleepless nights now and then while I try to solve the newest problem I've created for myself.
Bonnie

phil
Has many leather bound books

Post by phil »

the trick is to have an open project in every room so when you go to the basement to get a screwdriver and then can't remember why you are in the basement you can busy yourself until you go back upstairs and then see what you were doing and remember you needed a screwdriver to continue.. but at least that way the trip down wasn't wasted... takes one to know one lol..

awomanwithahammer
Knows where blueprints are hidden

Post by awomanwithahammer »

:lol:
Bonnie