Old pictures of your house?

A place to hang out, chat and post general discussion topics. (Non-technical posts here)
1918ColonialRevival
Knows where blueprints are hidden

Old pictures of your house?

Post by 1918ColonialRevival »

Has anyone been fortunate enough to find old pictures of their house in its younger days? If so, please share them! We were lucky enough to make contact with the granddaughter of the original owner of ours and she shared a few with us:

First one taken in May 1919 shortly after the family purchased the house from the Ten Hills Corporation, the developer who built it during the summer months of 1918. I believe this one was from a glass negative:

Next one taken April or May 1920 after a screen door was added to the front (taken by one of the kids with a box camera):

This one taken May 1927 with the original owner's two youngest children on either side of the front steps (might have been May 1925, as the youngest daughter was out of the house by 1927):

Last one taken by us in December 2009 shortly after purchasing the house:

If you've got any pictures, add them!
Last edited by 1918ColonialRevival on Tue Jun 13, 2017 5:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Manalto
Inventor of Knob and Tube

Re: Old pictures of your house?

Post by Manalto »

Great idea. I look forward to seeing the contributions of others and, if I'm lucky when I ask around, contributing.

Nice shot in the snow, with the only color coming from the taillights. The mature foundation plants not only increase the apparent size of your house but they give it an air of gravitas.

1918ColonialRevival

Post by 1918ColonialRevival »

Manalto wrote:Great idea. I look forward to seeing the contributions of others and, if I'm lucky when I ask around, contributing.

Nice shot in the snow, with the only color coming from the taillights. The mature foundation plants not only increase the apparent size of your house but they give it an air of gravitas.

The sad thing is, about two months after that picture was taken is when the East Coast was hit by "Snowmageddon" - back to back blizzards that dumped two feet of heavy wet snow each. Most of those shrubs were completely destroyed from the weight of the snow. Sad because they had been there for about 60 years.

OurPhillyRow
Settling in

Post by OurPhillyRow »

I haven't had the opportunity to spend time researching at the library or historical society (we still live 100 miles away), but I do have this view of the house when it was only 110 years old (1962).

Devyn - Old House Lover
1852 Brick Rowhouse - Philadelphia

JacquieJet
Shakes a cane at new house owners

Post by JacquieJet »

Here are some that I have. A bit of a then and now :)
Attachments
The earliest photo I have. October 1955, taken by a PO right after they moved in! They went on to live here for 50 years!
The earliest photo I have. October 1955, taken by a PO right after they moved in! They went on to live here for 50 years!
1 October 1955.jpg (141.14 KiB) Viewed 777 times
Taken in 1976
Taken in 1976
4 1976.jpg (135.5 KiB) Viewed 777 times
Taken in the mid 1990's
Taken in the mid 1990's
28.jpg (176.95 KiB) Viewed 777 times
Shortly after we moved in in 2014
Shortly after we moved in in 2014
IMG_6380.JPG (1.3 MiB) Viewed 777 times
The house as it is today
The house as it is today
IMG_4001.JPG (1.34 MiB) Viewed 777 times
1917-ish
Happy 100th birthday, house!!

GibsonGM
Forgotten more than most know

Post by GibsonGM »

Really nice old images!! Here's ours...the 1895 reunion of the Grand Army of the Republic was held in our driveway!

The asbestos is gone now, but we still have the Subaru (lol). We took this pic when we were house-hunting. Some of the same trees in that pic are still here! Sadly the huge cow barn isn't. Nor is the wacky lamp post thang I ripped out same day we moved in...

Texas_Ranger

Post by Texas_Ranger »

The oldest complete picture I've got is from 1998, although we've got older family pictures that show parts of the house in the background (that goes back to the late 80s). I don't think much has changed, at least before the mid-90s when one part of the front yard was dug down 3 feet and converted into a driveway/parking space.

Vala

Post by Vala »

Nope never got any old pictures :( I'm wondering if any even still exist. I did manage to contact some semi-distant relatives of the original owners but they had no pictures. The "oldest" picture I've seen of my place was from 1995 and it already had siding then so it was of no use.

TexasRed
Been here a good while

Post by TexasRed »

Yes we've got one :D -- sorry for the poor quality :-| Found this picture at the local library in the town's historical section. (An original Carnegie Library built in 1909) Poor photo looks to have been copied and copied again too many times, I'm hoping to obtain a better quality print from the county historical society.
IMG_2742.JPG
IMG_2742.JPG (212.82 KiB) Viewed 747 times

Date of pic is unknown - anyone have a guess based on the automobiles?
James Jefferson Erwin house, 1905

Manalto
Inventor of Knob and Tube

Post by Manalto »

Judging by the hats and open vehicles, I'd guess the photo is from about the time your library was built, certainly before WWI.