I don't think they are even capable of building proper houses anymore

A place to hang out, chat and post general discussion topics. (Non-technical posts here)
vvzz
Been here a while

Re: I don't think they are even capable of building proper houses anymore

Post by vvzz »

phil wrote:the problem with all new windows is they come with black frames or white frames. usually neither really work with the house colors but no one likes to paint them so they use one or the other. note how the frame colors in this house dont' at all suit the house. they also completely eliminated the outer casings and window sills. these are lost design elements. I see this time and time again with old houses that have gone the replacement route.

Even mid-range marvin or andersen windows can be ordered in many colors. Agreed on lack of proper detailing around windows - lack of casings and sills means no beautiful shadow lines and interest. Even though it's a 4 million house, it looks like aluminium wrapped windows that go with cheap vinyl siding :(

Again, reinforcing my thought that modern architects(majority at least) just don't know proper detailing.

vvzz
Been here a while

Post by vvzz »

Vala wrote:Well not sure if this is pertinent to this discussion, but has anyone heard of the "Castle Victorian" house. a House built in 2002 off of plans (though slightly altered) of an 1885 house?

Though it was built with modern construction techniques this has to be the best/only example I've seen of something coming out looking like an actual old home. The website is defunct now however it can be found on the wayback machine.

http://hookedonhouses.net/2010/08/18/ca ... t-in-2002/

https://web.archive.org/web/20120101000 ... torian.com

This is really cool!!

phil
Has many leather bound books

Post by phil »

vvzz wrote:
Vala wrote:Well not sure if this is pertinent to this discussion, but has anyone heard of the "Castle Victorian" house. a House built in 2002 off of plans (though slightly altered) of an 1885 house?

Though it was built with modern construction techniques this has to be the best/only example I've seen of something coming out looking like an actual old home. The website is defunct now however it can be found on the wayback machine.

http://hookedonhouses.net/2010/08/18/ca ... t-in-2002/

https://web.archive.org/web/20120101000 ... torian.com

This is really cool!!

I worked on machinery to make vinyl ones and they only came in white. Im sure any can be painted or you can order them in colors but when I look around me at old buildings they are almost all black or white. Maybe a dark grey is available but not many seem to use colors. paint can have a hard time sticking to aluminum but they can probably be powder coated or anodized in colors. . When they come assembled a color change is likely impractical. powder coating or anodizing needs to be done before they are assembled in the factory and that probably makes them pricey. If you paint them after anodizing they might not hold the new paint well. you can probably paint the vinyl ones with special paint that melts into the vinyl. the vinyl ones I saw made were plastic welded with heat and dont; come apart. the glass is put in after welding but it's done as a part of the build sequence so to interrupt that would add cost.

I'm sure these manufacturers can make them any color if you are doing a huge project like an apartment.

phil

Post by phil »

Al F. Furnituremaker wrote:No offense taken. This subject can be debated forever with many different viewpoints. I think though that this forum in itself and specifically this thread is testament to the value and quality of craftsmanship done with the hand and heart vs. a machine and in particular CNC.

I am an engineer and in my previous career embraced all the technology. I worked for a company that pushed the limits of technology. We used to joke that we were too dumb to know that it couldn't be done. I designed hardware, designed and wrote software, and managed multi-million dollar programs. It was an industry where the new was absoutely better than the old.

But. There are things that technology has cheapened. I have yet to see a piece of furniture come into my shop that was made 15-20 years ago, or even yesterday, that is built better than something built 50-100 years ago. Of course there are the exceptions. There was cheap junk built long ago as well as high quality stuff built now. I still stand by the notion that custom made furniture built by an individual experienced craftsman is of higher quality than factory made, and I think the same goes for old houses.

right. I admire a lot of antiques in a totally different way than new things. more often than not what's available on the market is mass produced in such high volumes that it looses it's appeal and as you say becomes too perfect. a lot of it is made with junk wood with excellent finishing techniques but scratch that ikea piece and it's white wood not walnut for example.

one thing that is nice about antiques is that they often had the pick of better wood grades and it is reflected. Now if you were to choose your wood for something like the table leg in the video you might pick a grain pattern and orientation that added strength and beauty. CNC wont' prevent that.

I think one of the exciting things about CNC is that you can make a subtle change and then run the piece again and this leads more easily to customization , one advantage is in production work and yea that gets boring I know.. but the neat thing is it also lends itself well to custom pieces. It also seems really easy when you see the machine do everything but if it isn't programmed to use the right tools and the right feed rate, speed etc for the process it'll chip out and do bad stuff. so it does actually require a lot of skill at that level , they are just different skills. the operator of the Maka is basically just a grunt. he has no control during the sequence. he just has to watch to make sure he can shut it off if all goes wrong and to be there to load the next part.

the one in the video is a 5 axis Maka which is quite a machine but even most little cabinet shops need a CNC router to keep up these days. I dont' think it necessarily means they dont 'pay attention to quality or aren't craftsmen but they need to use the new technology or they cant' compete.

there will probably always be furniture made as a form of art and prestige. What I seem to notice though is the price of antiques and their general appreciation. I hope it changes but as of now I see super nice antiques going for less than Ikea pricing. maybe that will change in time and people will pay the money for something hand made and unique. maybe it just needs to become more rare before people go wow look at this thing it's antique!

I have a kitchen table with queen Anne legs and additional leaves on craigslist as example. it is super well made and I have it on for 300 bucks. I bet it's 50's but super well made. You couldn't' buy the wood for that. I bet Ill have to drop by another half before it sells.

Joiners will be around for a while. as long as we need custom pieces. things like restaurant and hotel counters dont' come from Ikea usually. Carving is another thing though. there aren't' many good carvers or wood turners still practicing. of course there are a few but most do it for fun not as a career.

the most astounding thing I notice is chairs. you can buy antique chairs for 25 bucks apiece often even in sets of 6 or so. now try to make a set of chairs and look at all the angles and how those patterns have evolved. making chairs is not easy, but antique ones still sell for less than Ikea crap. I think the market is due for some changes.

I thought a lot of the radios I have would appreciate over time as things made of wood became unusual. I have many and I have always appreciated the woodwork. but I just dont; see the appreciation for them so maybe I won't live to see it. At present I am looking at downsizing a lot but if I could see them appreciating I'd probably steer a different way. the same happens with my restorations. normally if I spend a week restoring a radio and spend a hundred on parts I increase the value by 100 bucks. there is just no profit in it unless it's a radio that someone has some particular value to the owner such as formerly being their grandmas' then they might pay a couple hundred for the work. If you just buy radios and fix them up and try to re-sell it is a very difficult business to make money at. Ill continue to dabble in it but only for my hobby. some of course are particularly rare and those might be more profitable.
one of the reasons Ive aleways liked old radios was because there are so many unique styles and even though most were mass produced they do make a nice display of various art deco and machine age artwork.

Texas_Ranger
Knows where blueprints are hidden

Post by Texas_Ranger »

They even make wood-grain vinyl windows - usually looks like a 1970s television set! Our neighbours have them and the wood grain is slowly coming off/deteriorating into a solid murky brown.

phil

Post by phil »

I think part of the issue is that plastic is problematic. If they dont put stuff in it to make it break down eventually it would be here forever and that's bad for the environment. on the other hand if they do put the stuff in that makes them break down they have a limited lifespan like plastic garden furniture. It lasts for so long and then it just gets brittle from the UV and there is no stopping it.

At least the aluminum can be recycled but the problem with it is it is a great conductor of heat and that isn't a good property for window materials.

wood is a better material for this and the issue isn't labor because wood windows can be made just as quickly by production equipment. I think the main issue is that the trends and advertising falsely convince many that these are appropriate materials to use.

Maybe in Europe it's different , they seem to have a bit different mentality with respect to how long a building should actually last for. Engineers could look at the expected lifespan of a building and try to see if the materials reflect that.

part of the issue is that usually these companies are temporary and so they can guarantee what they like without backing it. It seems to me that weather it be a kids pool or a new car or your windows, people are starting to accept that everything is made in china out of crap, it is designed for temporary use and that they really dont have any recourse since the companies change so often.. At one time people would buy certain brands and expect them to stand behind their name. many companies went to china because they had to to compete with others. they milked the tried and proven trade brands until people just got soft.

now they have us all programmed to go for fast food and empty the garbage and clean the tables. I go into shopping stores where they would always employ a check out person and they would be experts at bagging things up and doing a great job. Now I see people following like sheep and happily replacing the check out person by doing the work themselves for free with no motivation. Not very long ago if a store tried to pull that stuff peole would just say Im nto going to be the free checkout person and go elsewhere thinking it was a strange request. People do get "programmed" pretty easily.

Al F. Furnituremaker
Stalwart

Post by Al F. Furnituremaker »

phil wrote:

right. I admire a lot of antiques in a totally different way than new things. more often than not what's available on the market is mass produced in such high volumes that it looses it's appeal and as you say becomes too perfect. a lot of it is made with junk wood with excellent finishing techniques but scratch that ikea piece and it's white wood not walnut for example.

It's not even white wood, its particle board. Ikea is just now starting to use real wood, albeit some kind of "white wood"

phil wrote:one thing that is nice about antiques is that they often had the pick of better wood grades and it is reflected. Now if you were to choose your wood for something like the table leg in the video you might pick a grain pattern and orientation that added strength and beauty. CNC wont' prevent that.

I think one of the exciting things about CNC is that you can make a subtle change and then run the piece again and this leads more easily to customization , one advantage is in production work and yea that gets boring I know.. but the neat thing is it also lends itself well to custom pieces. It also seems really easy when you see the machine do everything but if it isn't programmed to use the right tools and the right feed rate, speed etc for the process it'll chip out and do bad stuff. so it does actually require a lot of skill at that level , they are just different skills. the operator of the Maka is basically just a grunt. he has no control during the sequence. he just has to watch to make sure he can shut it off if all goes wrong and to be there to load the next part.

the one in the video is a 5 axis Maka which is quite a machine but even most little cabinet shops need a CNC router to keep up these days. I dont' think it necessarily means they dont 'pay attention to quality or aren't craftsmen but they need to use the new technology or they cant' compete.

Being a programmer of a CNC machine is no different than programming any piece of equipment. It is a skill set totally removed from those that are considered crafts. To consider software programming a craft is way off base. I was a programmer at one time and never considered it a craft. Definitely a skill and/or engineering discipline, depending on what you are doing. I don't have a CNC in my small shop and am doing just fine. I have no desire to substitute quantity for quality and that is what CNC is all about. I prefer to do fewer jobs and get well paid for them vs. pumping things out as fast as I can. If you want to make kitchen cabinets, yea CNC is a must. I gave up doing kitchens years ago too many people making them with quantity in mind instead of quality. I have built my business on quality and developed a customer base that appreciates that.

phil wrote:there will probably always be furniture made as a form of art and prestige. What I seem to notice though is the price of antiques and their general appreciation. I hope it changes but as of now I see super nice antiques going for less than Ikea pricing. maybe that will change in time and people will pay the money for something hand made and unique. maybe it just needs to become more rare before people go wow look at this thing it's antique!

I have a kitchen table with queen Anne legs and additional leaves on craigslist as example. it is super well made and I have it on for 300 bucks. I bet it's 50's but super well made. You couldn't' buy the wood for that. I bet Ill have to drop by another half before it sells.

Joiners will be around for a while. as long as we need custom pieces. things like restaurant and hotel counters dont' come from Ikea usually. Carving is another thing though. there aren't' many good carvers or wood turners still practicing. of course there are a few but most do it for fun not as a career.

the most astounding thing I notice is chairs. you can buy antique chairs for 25 bucks apiece often even in sets of 6 or so. now try to make a set of chairs and look at all the angles and how those patterns have evolved. making chairs is not easy, but antique ones still sell for less than Ikea crap. I think the market is due for some changes.

Yes, "antique" prices are low, mainly because the younger generations don't appreciate them as our parents generation or even ours did. The stuff that is now advertised as antique is really vintage and hasn't appreciated in value yet. Very seldom will you find a real antique on Craig's list, they are vintage. Real antiques have held their value.

phil wrote:I thought a lot of the radios I have would appreciate over time as things made of wood became unusual. I have many and I have always appreciated the woodwork. but I just dont; see the appreciation for them so maybe I won't live to see it. At present I am looking at downsizing a lot but if I could see them appreciating I'd probably steer a different way. the same happens with my restorations. normally if I spend a week restoring a radio and spend a hundred on parts I increase the value by 100 bucks. there is just no profit in it unless it's a radio that someone has some particular value to the owner such as formerly being their grandmas' then they might pay a couple hundred for the work. If you just buy radios and fix them up and try to re-sell it is a very difficult business to make money at. Ill continue to dabble in it but only for my hobby. some of course are particularly rare and those might be more profitable.
one of the reasons Ive aleways liked old radios was because there are so many unique styles and even though most were mass produced they do make a nice display of various art deco and machine age artwork.

Again, I think your are generalizing the interest in old radios. The vast majority of the population could care less about them. That's why you can pick them up for next to nothing, replace the tubes that need replacing, and either never sell them or get less than you paid. But, there IS a market out there. I work with another business that refurbishes old radios. They do the electronics and mechanics, I do the cabinets. Believe me there is a market. The parade of old radios into and out of our shops never ends, the waiting line is their shop is 4-6 months, and the final price tag on most is 4 figures. This is a complete refurbishment, not just tube replacement. As far as the quality of them goes, the electronics is great, better than what you can buy today. The cabinets are beautiful when refinished, but poorly made. Pumped out by the thousands, CNC would have really helped.

phil

Post by phil »

AL I think you are probably correct on the term "craft" normally it is associated with hand work and skill and so programming wouldn't fall into this category as It isn't' really considered hand work. although it is definitely a skill.

Interesting how advancements in technology play in. I suppose one could say if one did a drawing with a pencil that would be a craft and if one did a drawing using the pencil tool in Photoshop it may not be ;-) Arguably manipulating the mouse to make a drawing is just as much "hand work" as manipulating a pencil.

Its admirable that you can make a living doing woodwork and refinishing. It brings back a lot of memories of my dad. He had to leave elementary schoolin the depression to work selling papers in the street and always regretted not being able to finish, although he did learn what he needed to , like math and reading. In his early teens he was already an apprentice and he got his journeynman status early on. but then in the later 40's he went to work as a carpenter and so that was his career, but knowing how to properly fit wood helped him a lot in his trade and would often be called upon for finishing work. Carpentry paid better, but he liked joinery so he did lots at home during my lifetime. I'm happy that he could pass on some of his skills to me and I enjoy woodworking, but work as a millwright fixing all sorts of machinery including a lot of woodworking machines. I have worked in the high tech areas too, but now I just love my job fixing stuff and using my hands. I'm happy to forget all the proprietary machine code and long procedures and instead I fix stuff. The money isn't so great but it is more satisfying to me to work with my hands and to be always faced with different machines and situations and problems. I think I like it most when I have to make my own parts and to think out what materials and the design and follow it through. I'm as happy to work with metal or wood or whatever. at the end of the day the technical stuff is more mentally draining and for me not as satisfying or interesting. Im happy to work on CNC equipment when it goes down, that part is interesting, but to stand beside a machine cranking out the same thing would be pretty boring.

Phil

Al F. Furnituremaker
Stalwart

Post by Al F. Furnituremaker »

I agree Phil. I too like the hands on stuff as compared to sitting behind a desk. I guess that is why I stayed in my first career so long. I not only worked on the design but had to make it work. At the time I thought I had the best job in the world, and worked for the best company. It was unique and good, but not as good as working for myself with my hands. Much more satisfaction. Nothing can compare to a customer being overjoyed with what you have done for them.

Back to the original subject (I don't think they are even capable of building proper houses anymore). When someone asks me if I can build something, my answer is that "anything can be done, all it takes is time and money, my time, your money". So, in my opinion, a true Victorian can be built, (excepting current codes) all it takes is research, design, build, and of course time and money.

phil

Post by phil »

I agree. It's all possible. What one considers "proper" might be all over the map. I dont; think it's practical to use lath and plaster. although sure it's possible. studs made from lesser woods than fir are ok although that's just where you source the lumber. You'd have to involve an engineer for sure. most is built with trusses now but older houses were engineered without them and made use of attic space sometimes. Most of the post and beam stuff probably wouldn't meet fire regulations unless precautions could be added like sprinklers and fire stops. flooring hasn't changed if you ignore laminates and you could go buy long tight grain knot free flooring but I can imagine it would be super expensive. You can still get panel doors and wood windows with sashes. would one care if you used plywood or even chipboard instead of shiplap?

one of the main differences now is all the sub trades do their bit and that makes them go faster , in earlier days a house might be a whole year of work for a carpenter.

what Im seeing a lot of around me is larger houses being taken out if they are on a 60 foot lot, they then build these little houses on 30 foot lots and the roof and style do reflect the older era but they aren't old houses. still as far as new houses go they go better with the neighborhood than some of the newer ones which are just plain ugly and built as cheap and as big as possible. here the house price might be only 10 percent of total value.
the lot prices here are insane so the houses are a smaller percentage of the cost than in most other areas. As things progress people want more revenue from their million dollar or more investments so you see a lot of them being lifted and expanded. I'm trying to keep what is there but eventually some other owner will either appreciate my work or try to make it bigger or tear down and build two. a lane way house is probably a nicer option as it would make it possible to retain the original house. the other thing i see a lot of is houses torn to the studs and moved to other lots and rebuilt. but they usually strip them to the skeleton in the process so they dont get built the same, but it's better than just tearing them down.

I could see using more elements of an old house like the high baseboards, real wood doors, high ceilings, wood flooring, staircase railings and so on. . but to use drywall , insulation, maybe plywood instead of shiplap. in other words to build a visual replica of an old house but with newer techniques and materials would make sense to me otherwise I dont' see the return in such an investment. Its possible but it would be a money pit and not very practical so no one really does that. If you have lots of money and that is a passion it's all possible. to try to do things like custom mill every 2x4 to the older dimensions would be probably just get silly, but you could have some fancy gingerbread stuff added if you like that look.