I don't think they are even capable of building proper houses anymore

A place to hang out, chat and post general discussion topics. (Non-technical posts here)
vvzz
Been here a while

I don't think they are even capable of building proper houses anymore

Post by vvzz »

One thing I sometimes dream about is to build an 'old house' from scratch - a perfect second empire, but new and with proper European construction techniques(sorry US, but stick buildings suck) I never intend to ever actually do it, just something fun to dream of. However, its fun to look at modern builders attempts at craftsman/earlier styles. The society has been bombarded by modern/post modern architecture for almost a century at this point, but public still prefers architecture that is rooted in classic principles. However, I'm yet to see a new construction house that is designed with correct classical proportions. It's quite sad, but it seems like the best modern architects can do is a Disney land approximation.
This house in Newton, MA(a well-off streetcar suburb of Boston) has been making some waves recently as it sold for over $4 million: http://www.realtor.com/realestateandhom ... 105#photo1

I think the builder/architect tried their best. This is not a typical builder grade McMansion. It looks like there was no expense spared. There are miles of moldings in there. I think the outside even looks half decent, with cohesive roof lines.
394e17293f0025d6bc05ab589569c56cl-w0xd-w1020_h770_q80.jpg
394e17293f0025d6bc05ab589569c56cl-w0xd-w1020_h770_q80.jpg (156.77 KiB) Viewed 980 times

But inside its sad. Starting with 8ft ceilings - makes very hard to have correct proportions for the trim. Here the ceiling is resting on the windows:
394e17293f0025d6bc05ab589569c56cl-w11xd-w1020_h770_q80.jpg
394e17293f0025d6bc05ab589569c56cl-w11xd-w1020_h770_q80.jpg (108.21 KiB) Viewed 980 times

Pillar with random panel molding on the left "lets fill all the empty spaces with panels - the more, the richer it looks". Also super tall paneling with window stool resting right on it. Just looks odd.
394e17293f0025d6bc05ab589569c56cl-w13xd-w1020_h770_q80.jpg
394e17293f0025d6bc05ab589569c56cl-w13xd-w1020_h770_q80.jpg (70.06 KiB) Viewed 980 times

And it goes on. With all the modern tools and CAD, we aren't even able to replicate what half-literate builders did in 19th century. And the said part is that the majority arent even able to see all those problems :(

heartwood

Re: I don't think they are even capable of building proper houses anymore

Post by heartwood »

ick on the inside...does look quality on the exterior, but 4 million???
I think the copper gutters would look better is they had followed the line of the curved corbels...

...jade

Willa
Revered expert in almost everything

Post by Willa »

There is a lot wrong with the porch roof.

At first it doesn't look so terrible, but once you start looking it's like Craftsman crossed with Victorian-ish crossed with Kardashian.

Like the difference between silk and polyester...

Manalto
Inventor of Knob and Tube

Post by Manalto »

The roof-lines of recently-built houses often strike me as unnecessarily complex, this one included. One gable at the top, not three, and none over the entrance.

Why is it so high off the ground? Those front steps look formidable, not inviting. The "iron" railings look flimsy in proportion to the rest of the house. Bland front doors, cramped because of low ceiling height. Too much uninterrupted stone in the main part of the house, making it look bleak. Why no windows in it? The focal (stairwell) window with the aforementioned awkward copper downspouts lacks dimension; no architectural interest. The interior is ludicrous. I could go on but don't want to get a reputation as a grump. :roll:

Nicholas
Shakes a cane at new house owners

Post by Nicholas »

Speaking of Disney, take a look at a Disney inspired Olde Town, Celebration, Florida, just down the road from the World Of The Mouse. Driving through it at first glance, you have this step back in time feeling...but!

Its Disney!

Example:

http://www.realtor.com/realestateandhom ... 0927-65025
1915 Frame Vernacular Bungalow

"If it ain't leanin' or a little crooked then it ain't got character"
- local resident

The BumbleBee House

vvzz
Been here a while

Post by vvzz »

Nicholas wrote:Speaking of Disney, take a look at a Disney inspired Olde Town, Celebration, Florida, just down the road from the World Of The Mouse. Driving through it at first glance, you have this step back in time feeling...but!

Its Disney!

Example:

http://www.realtor.com/realestateandhom ... 0927-65025

I gotta say, it looks pretty convincing on the outside. Like a true victorian that was 'poorly remuddled' in the 90s.

DRJR
Knows the area

Post by DRJR »

At 4 mil, they could have used real stone. :thumbdown:
Home formally know as Rotten Ranch

Patched up fireplace, rotten and new siding, with other issues getting the arts and crafts makeover. :mrgreen:

Ober51
Forgotten more than most know

Post by Ober51 »

I like the house, honestly. But the details of a true Victorian - such as curved glass - make it that much more beautiful in my opinion.

Sara
Been here a while

Post by Sara »

I actually like most of the detailing. The only two things that jump out at me are those downspouts and the stone choice.

Otherwise.. I think it's a pretty good attempt.

4 million though!? Yikes.

vvzz
Been here a while

Post by vvzz »

Sara wrote:I actually like most of the detailing. The only two things that jump out at me are those downspouts and the stone choice.

Otherwise.. I think it's a pretty good attempt.

4 million though!? Yikes.

I think it's a pretty well put together house. The craftsmanship is probably close to the victorian builders. But the part that makes me sad is that its like we entered the dark ages almost, where certain things got forgotten and can't be done even for 4mil(partially because buyers and builders just don't know any better)