I have always wondered...

A place to hang out, chat and post general discussion topics. (Non-technical posts here)
Ireland House
Been here a while

Re: I have always wondered...

Post by Ireland House »

We only have one front entrance, although it has two doors, each with its own screen door. This is great for keeping out the cold as there is a small radiator in the entry between doors. We do however, have a back kitchen door, a outside door that enters the dining room from a breakfast porch, an outside door that enter the wood shop/garage area (not the garage door), a door to the downstairs servants quarters, and a door to what my kids call the dungeon (under the porch). The only record we have of a wake had them taking the casket out the front door and down the front steps. They are at least double wide, all the other steps are narrow.
Today is my happily ever after.

arwenmark
Knows the back streets

Post by arwenmark »

My house had two front doors one into the living room and one at right angles into the sunroom, that one has since been turned into a window, non opening.

TuckerTavern
Been here a good while

Post by TuckerTavern »

Jamie wrote:My circa 1870's stick style house in Western New York State had two front doors. One went to the center room of the house which I was told was called the "common parlor". The other door went to the front room that faced the street. I was told was called the "Formal parlor". When the house was built thre were doors in the double wide arch which allowed this front room to be closed off from the rest of the house. In Victorian times this "Formal Parlor" is the room company would be greeted when they came to call. In my old house it had the faciest woodwork.

My parent's circa 1860s house, also in Western New York, had 2 doors at right angles to each other. My parents totally gutted the house and made it more of an open floor plan, but I can vaguely remember what it looked like before they did.

Manalto
Inventor of Knob and Tube

Post by Manalto »

TuckerTavern wrote:...totally gutted the house and made it more of an open floor plan...

Sigh.

TuckerTavern
Been here a good while

Post by TuckerTavern »

I know, but what can you do? :)

Manalto
Inventor of Knob and Tube

Post by Manalto »

Just sigh, I guess. That's all I've come up with.