Window question--Jade and Sashguy?

Need advice, technical help or opinions, you will find plenty here! (Technical posts here)
phil
Has many leather bound books

Re: Window question--Jade and Sashguy?

Post by phil »

I just took a 1" putty knife and bent it when I saw that's what they guy at the glass shop that did a little demo for me used. It helped.

Mastercarpentry
Just Arrived

Post by Mastercarpentry »

awomanwithahammer wrote:Wonder if I could clip the ends?

Certainly. The best way to do this is using "end nippers" or "side cutters". I like the first because I can see exactly what I'm cutting, then matching that to the spot I'm working with. I also now use a narrow wood chisel instead of a putty knife to install them using a rocking motion. The chisel never slips off, allows more pressure to seat them firmly, has a better 'feel' to it and seats them more firmly.

When glazing points are exposed past the putty, they will allow water in and they will rust. They also make glazing and painting a pain in the rear which adds to the awful look. I re-do these when I run across them.

I also 'cheat' and seat the pane in a bed of caulking, not glazing, which seems to work at least equally well. It's faster, cleaner, softer, and easier to get just the right amount on in just the right place. Let the excess on the inside dry and ,then it scrapes off cleanly. First use a razor knife on the glass held against the sash, then a window scraper and it comes off in one long string. For stained sashes I use clear "Lexel" brand caulking. Never use silicone as the oils in it will be absorbed by the wood making the stain look awful and preventing the paint or finish from adhering.

I'll cede this much to 'modern' methods in all but the most important historical restorations since it works better and lasts longer, thus better preserving the window. For non-historical renovations I also use the glazing in a tube as it' far easier and light years faster. I learned glazing the old way, and with a straight knife using the side of the blade, not the end. Once you get the hang of it, glazing is easy but until then it can be one of the most frustrating things you'll do.

Phil#2

Sashguy

Post by Sashguy »

My preference is triangle points. They provide a greater holding area, which distributes the pressure, and consequently are less likely to crack glass, and they are easily pushed in deep enough to clear the putty line. I often find that the tips of diamond points are the cause of breakage. And then there's the push point. With these you may as well smash the glass ahead of time. They are likely to be the cause of breakage anyway.

heartwood

Post by heartwood »

argh! please don't use caulk to bed glass...the next person to work on the sash will curse you for life....caulk is very difficult to remove and ends in significant glass breakage...in the professional world of window restoration, there is an ongoing debate about this...most of us prefer glazing putty...

putty in a tube is DAP which is not an especially good product....there's also the waste of the cardboard cartridge to consider....laying a line of bedding is easy enough....

.....jade....preservation purist (in case you haven't noticed!)

awomanwithahammer
Knows where blueprints are hidden

Post by awomanwithahammer »

The diamond points were used in these windows originally. I see the triangle points, but I really don't want to invest in the push tool. Can you install them manually? The ubiquitous ones with the ears seem to be easily pushed in with a knife, but I wasn't sure about the others.

I hope all these questions aren't too much of a pain. I would have liked to learn at the side of a master, but this is the next best thing. I think if I had known all of this before I jumped in, I might never have had the nerve to start! But I learn best by doing, not reading, so I might be at least barely competent by the time I finish. :handgestures-fingerscrossed:
Bonnie

Sashguy

Post by Sashguy »

Here's my tool for setting points. A Hyde Contour Scraper with the blade turned reverse and a small rectangular magnet to hold the point in place. I also flip the blade to clean the rabbit, the other blades to remove paint from the profile, and the magnet to keep the points together in the tool box.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000W ... JQ7IFDO6YS
Attachments
IMG_3350.JPG
IMG_3350.JPG (589.18 KiB) Viewed 542 times

awomanwithahammer
Knows where blueprints are hidden

Post by awomanwithahammer »

Awesome, I actually just bought one of these, because I have a lot of profiles to strip! OK, maybe I'll switch points; that looks easy enough.
Bonnie

Sashguy

Post by Sashguy »

<<<argh! please don't use caulk to bed glass...>>>

LOL... for sure Jade. Almost as bad as the guy a few years back who had glazed his windows with Liquid Nails.

phil
Has many leather bound books

Post by phil »

Sashguy wrote:Here's my tool for setting points.

That's ingenious ;-) thanks for sharing that "tip"

Lily left the valley
Inventor of Knob and Tube

Post by Lily left the valley »

Sashguy wrote:<<<argh! please don't use caulk to bed glass...>>>

LOL... for sure Jade. Almost as bad as the guy a few years back who had glazed his windows with Liquid Nails.

I see your Liquid Nail glazing, and up with my Liquid Nail around the tub beading in lieu of caulk. (Including all the way around the plastic molded tile panels they used for a surround. From what little I first tried to remove the LN from the outer edges, all it wanted to do is bring as much of the bead foam backer out with it, so the next time I'm feeling determined, I have to try to cut it off at an angle, then go back and shore it.) :lolno:
--Proud member of the Industrious Cheapskate Club
--Currently pondering ways to encourage thoughtful restovation and discourage mindless renovation.