Jumping and hoping. Jen's kitchen cabinet adventure.

A place to hang out, chat and post general discussion topics. (Non-technical posts here)
SmellyHouse
Been here a while

Re: Jumping and hoping. Jen's kitchen cabinet adventure.

Post by SmellyHouse »

Willa, thanks, but I have zinc countertops on my Hoosier, and I hate them. They are pitted and bleached white in the cracks. That's why I am thinking honed/leathered granite that looks like soapstone. My mom has granite in her kitchen (for going on 15+ years now) and it's virtually indestructible, even with 6 grandkids and a gazillion rounds of Christmas and holiday baking. If I can get an old style look in granite, that might be the way to go.

Tho I have so many more major things to worry about before drawer pulls and countertops, it's awe inspiring. :angry-banghead:

Willa
Revered expert in almost everything

Post by Willa »

Personally I am team Formica (retro colours !) but these don't work in every context/household. I was worried that you were thinking about the high gloss granite that is in every "high end" reno in the last decade or so. They are starting to look so specific to a particular era ?

Are the cabinets separate wall mounted uppers and lowers or are they all one piece with only a small counter area in the front ?

SmellyHouse
Been here a while

Post by SmellyHouse »

Willa, oh no..no high gloss granite for me. I want something that looks old. I agree that most granite is going to look very dated during the next 'new big look'. It looks like there are 1 or 2 strains of granite that look like soapstone (Virginia mist is one). If I can find something less 'vein-y' I'd be in business.

https://www.pinterest.com/pin/488288784570838344/

Cabinets can be wall mounted, as they are separate pieces. I was bummed, when they were delivered, though to find out the wooden counter has a cutout where the uppers sit on the base. It looks like the counter is a separate piece, so I am praying we can gently remove it from the lower cabinets without damage...so that I can replace the wood with a full countertop...as I will need every inch of space to get close to the standard 18" distance between uppers and lowers (since the uppers will abut my OKM stove).

phil
Has many leather bound books

Post by phil »

if you want real stone, I'd check with the places that cut stone and just see what offcuts they might have , since the piece is relatively small it seems likely you could find a deal on some leftovers.

wletson
Been here a good while

Post by wletson »

Jen, I was about to suggest leathered finish granite, but you're already going in that direction. :)
I chose leathered for my main countertop, and had butcher block made from walnut for either side of my range.
The leathered finish is getting great reviews from everyone who sees it.
Warren

phil

Post by phil »

I went with a fake stone laminate for my countertop. I like it better than stone but it isnt' going to fool anyone. One little thing I did was cut and match the corners to the surface so the edges match up. I used a wood strip for the front edge. I actually like the look and feel of it. I had a girlfriend that thought it was stone and wrecked a spot by putting a hot pan down on it so now I have to replace one top because it bubbled up. I went and bought more and it was a 5x10 sheet not the regular 4x8.. I'm putting off pulling the counter out to replace the top. It just didn't' seem to get to the top of my to-do list but I bought extra just in case they quit making that pattern. I had future hopes to make more counters.

SmellyHouse
Been here a while

Re: Setbacks...

Post by SmellyHouse »

This bum ankle is keeping me from doing any work on cleaning up my cabinets. I am woozy today with wonky blood pressure readings....after sleeping for 8 hours yesterday during the day and a full 10 hours of sleep last night. It's a day on the couch for me with a kitchen still in boxes and laundry (in the basement) to do :(
Last edited by SmellyHouse on Sun Mar 26, 2017 6:23 pm, edited 2 times in total.

SmellyHouse
Been here a while

Post by SmellyHouse »

Warren, would you mind posting some pics and specs of your countertops? Interested parties want to know...

Jen

phil

Post by phil »

i've seen washstands quite a few times where they had a "free floating " granite slab that just sat on top. maybe it was the custom to have stone there. If you wanted stone maybe that would be a good way. Just cut to fit and put felt pads for it to sit on top of the cabinet?