Pre-1900 Bungalow?

A place to hang out, chat and post general discussion topics. (Non-technical posts here)
Gothichome

Re: Pre-1900 Bungalow?

Post by Gothichome »

Lily, I think your not far off. To my eye it looks like a craftsman eara workmans cottage with an addition to the back. The type you would would see in older industrial area subdivisions, were the fellow would be walking to work. Probably raised six kids in the home and it was thier own little bit of heaven.

Lily left the valley
Inventor of Knob and Tube

Post by Lily left the valley »

Gothichome wrote:Lily, I think your not far off. To my eye it looks like a craftsman eara workmans cottage with an addition to the back. The type you would would see in older industrial area subdivisions, were the fellow would be walking to work. Probably raised six kids in the home and it was thier own little bit of heaven.

I was wondering if it was that to start as well. Hopefully EC will come back with some more photos or a listing.

Edit: Did a GIS, and found the listing, but only 3 pictures. Kitchen and I think dining are the others. Listing says 1920 build. (All caps are from listing.)

CHARMING COTTAGE STYLE THREE BEDROOM RANCH. HUGE 20 X 14 LIVING ROOM. FOYER WITH WOODEN ENTRY DOOR. HARDWOOD FLOORS. PANTRY. EAT-IN KITCHEN PLUS FORMAL DINING ROOM. FULL BASEMENT WITH BILCO DOORS FOR OUTDOOR ENTRY. SHED. PARKING AREA ACCESS FROM ALLEY BEHIND THE HOME. WROUGHT IRON FENCED FRONT YARD. CLOSE TO ALL AMENITIES.
--Proud member of the Industrious Cheapskate Club
--Currently pondering ways to encourage thoughtful restovation and discourage mindless renovation.

eclecticcottage
Forgotten more than most know

Post by eclecticcottage »

Ok, so unfortunately the photos from the pre-reo listing were replaced by the current ones before I could save them. It looked adorable in those pics, with flowers in the boxes, a flag and general nice landscape.

It is most definately a working class neighborhood in a blue collar town. I imagine it was not stucco to begin with. When you look at the walls, the stucco comes out further than the foundation. At some in the 40's the owner of record was a woman from Italy. Stucco isn't common here so I thought perhaps someone tried to do something that reminded them of home. The result is quite cute.

I hadn't charged the battery on my camera so I couldn't take pics. EVERY rad was blown out in dramatic fashion with the fluid splashed across walls and floors. It's not the most expensive area as it is and it's not worth the cost of rehab. It's too bad. The two dining rooms was weird though (one is the "eat in kitchen" but it's separate from the kitchen). The wrought iron is in rough shape.

eclecticcottage

The new owner has been hard at work recreating rotted exterior details.
Attachments
IMAG0934.jpg
IMAG0934.jpg (1.82 MiB) Viewed 512 times
Last edited by eclecticcottage on Tue Sep 05, 2017 1:12 am, edited 1 time in total.

Lily left the valley
Inventor of Knob and Tube

Post by Lily left the valley »

eclecticcottage wrote:The new owner gas been hard at work recreating rotted exterior details.

Thanks for the follow up! The boards sticking out of the one window gave me a chuckle, I have to admit.
--Proud member of the Industrious Cheapskate Club
--Currently pondering ways to encourage thoughtful restovation and discourage mindless renovation.

eclecticcottage

It's a chute from the upstairs for demo debris, I recall seeing a dumpster there before. We snuck up on the porch to peek, it's pretty much all gutted (needed it though). I will stalk it out every so often to check on it. There's a lock box on it so I am guessing there is at least a contractor if not several involved, but I'll see if someone is there sometime when we're out there to talk to about plans for it.

They have added a couple extra brackets and the porch brackets aren't like the originals, which were just extensions vs brackets. Oh well. At least they are trying!!

eclecticcottage

So I was out near the house again today looking at a different property so we went by it again-this time there were about 8-10 people working on it. No one looked particularly contractor-esque so we stopped to talk to them. Turns out a big family group of about 40 people got together to go in on it! They are all doing the work, some are contractors but most aren't. They are going to resell it, but plan to do basically exactly what we had, except they are replacing windows. They have it gutted and are going to reroof before winter. Got to see the inside and-NAILED IT! The right side is the original timber frame structure, the rest of the house is a later addition to create the "arts and crafts" look. They said we were welcome to stop by anytime to see progress!! So happy to see it getting the attention it deserves and needs. They will be putting in real hardwood floors (or plan to) and will be repainting vs vinyl siding it.