Pre-1900 Bungalow?

A place to hang out, chat and post general discussion topics. (Non-technical posts here)
Lily left the valley
Inventor of Knob and Tube

Re: Pre-1900 Bungalow?

Post by Lily left the valley »

Texas_Ranger wrote:{snip}Looks like you got yourself a fun project - nothing more rewarding than bringing something back from the dead!

Hah, this made me think of calling it the Not Dead Yet Bungalow. (NoDY for short.) "I don't want to go on the cart!" :lol:
--Proud member of the Industrious Cheapskate Club
--Currently pondering ways to encourage thoughtful restovation and discourage mindless renovation.

eclecticcottage
Forgotten more than most know

Post by eclecticcottage »

Lol. Nope, not quite dead yet.

Gothichome

Post by Gothichome »

https://youtu.be/uBxMPqxJGqI
For all our python fans.

phil
Has many leather bound books

Post by phil »

Gothichome wrote:https://youtu.be/uBxMPqxJGqI
For all our python fans.

that was too funny ;-) how timely !

eclecticcottage

Yup, still a whole lot of nothing from the bank on the offer. I didn't bother getting the roof bid, I decided I made the offer so I'm in no matter what it is so I might as well wait until I find out it was actually accepted rather than waste time I could be spending at the Bungalow.

I also decided I think it's timber framed. I can see boxed in corners in both outside walls in the dining room and one in the living room. Also, I remember the second floor joists were mortice and tenon into rather large beams, at least in the exposed dining room ceiling. I also have one photo of an "attic space" (along the side of the house) where it appears there's a timber along the base, then a knee wall built on top to create the rest of the outside wall and support the roof.

ALSO, it looks like the "exposed rafter tails" aren't really-next to each rafter (which clearly ends atop the top plate) are smaller 2x4ish sized boards which project outside. I imagine these are the "rafter tails" you see exposed on the overhangs. Which means they are probably that much easier to replace if rotted!

And lastly I realized that I didn't see any ductwork anywhere, despite the presence of a furnace in the basement. Just a minor oversight :lol: :doh: Oh well. It probably would have needed replaced anyway.

eclecticcottage

Here's the attic photo

P1220570.JPG
P1220570.JPG (1.38 MiB) Viewed 888 times

Lily left the valley

eclecticcottage wrote:Here's the attic photo

Blown cellulose with no barriers or cover--how marvelous. Not sure if what's on the walls was incidental during installation or that attic has had some strong "breathe throughs" to stir it enough to stick on the walls.

If the bank approves, it will certainly be a hearty project house.
--Currently pondering ways to encourage thoughtful restovation and discourage mindless renovation.

eclecticcottage

Yeah, there's a huge broken bag of it in the basement. Probably stuck there while the PO was blowing it in.

I told my agent to let them know if I don't hear by the end of the week I'm withdrawing the offer. They've had long enough.

eclecticcottage

Welp, the bank never responded and it's well after 5pm so my offer is officially withdrawn on this one. On to the next I guess. I looked at a weird little "ranch" today. VERY cute in photos but not in real life. Rot, damaged stucco, every rad in the place was blown out, two dining rooms?

Not sure what I would call the style

Lily left the valley

It looks like it wants to be a simple Storybook, which is a sort of mesh of Tudor/cottage. There may be actual stone under that stucco on the lower portion, but not always. The trim and color choices on the center upper window leans that way, as they often have curved or "Moorish" details. The rooflines on those are often much steeper or much more curvy (especially when using thatch).

Pinterest showed some simpler ones overall than the yahoo search did.

Ah. I knew this site had a page for them: Storybook Style — 1920 to 1930s
It's hard to tell for certain without seeing any interior shots.

I did find this one that's closer to the one you pictured:
(From this page.)